Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Need USB2 3.5 Enclosure+USB2 powered Hub suggestions please

Need USB2 3.5 Enclosure+USB2 powered Hub suggestions please
Mac Write
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2007, 12:29 PM

My mom gave her MDD G4 blah blah blah to my sister and has her 320GB ATA Data drive from it (being stored in my MDD G4) and it needs to go into a USB2 enclosure so it can be used as an AirDisk with her new Airport Extreme Basestation and MacBook.

Since it's going to be attached to the Basestation full time and also connected via a USB2 Hub (recommendations as well please), I am thinking that a USB2 enclosure that isn't small but one that has nice big fans to keep the case and HD as cool as possible since it will be stationary and always on. We are in Canada so it must be able to be ordered via our local computer shop (sales guy needs his commission cough cough for hia new Mac).

Suggestions please.
Get busy living or get busy dying
--Stephen King

ecking01
Forum Regular
Mar 6, 2007, 04:35 AM

I'm interested in this: Canada Computers - Your Neighbourhood Computer Store and Service Centre - PC Systems and Hardware Components, Notebooks, Electronics, and more.

you may wanna take a look at it too. What I wonder is it can act as both a hub and hard drive for airport at the same time.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 6, 2007, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by Mac Write View Post
I am thinking that a USB2 enclosure that isn't small but one that has nice big fans to keep the case and HD as cool as possible since it will be stationary and always on.
Drives function well at high temperatures. Have you looked at the Google Labs study on the subject?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Mac Write  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 6, 2007, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by ecking01 View Post
I'm interested in this: Canada Computers - Your Neighbourhood Computer Store and Service Centre - PC Systems and Hardware Components, Notebooks, Electronics, and more.

you may wanna take a look at it too. What I wonder is it can act as both a hub and hard drive for airport at the same time.
I was thinking about that, well the other one (that was the Firewire/USB/Pre-built HD for the mini). So it's just en enclosure. Hmm it seems perfect. would fit perfectly under the Airport. Are they USB2 ports (it says 1.1 so kind of confusing).

I listened to the Google HD thing on various podcasts (TWiM, TWiT, MacBreak, etc).
Get busy living or get busy dying
--Stephen King

Forum Links
Forum Rules