Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Macbook > Powerbook?

Macbook > Powerbook?
tintin220
Jul 12, 2007, 08:18 PM

I'm considering getting a Macbook since, lately, I've noticed that my Powerbook G4 (15" 1.67 GHz latest-revision) just isn't quite up to the task on some things and it's grown more "fragile", gaining several little problems with the RAM, battery, etc. None of them are incredibly major (like I just have to turn Nap off each time I start up for the RAM issue) but they can be annoying.

Still, I've never really even considered the Macbook until recently (always thinking of the MBP as my upgrade, though it too had some shortcomings like the Superdrive and no FW800 early on). However, the Macbook is increasingly attractive, mainly for its price. Although I'm not terribly fond of its weight relative to its size, I'm honestly thinking about it.

Right now, I'm looking at the mid-level Macbook white, 2.16GHz C2D, 160GB HD for around 1266USD with edu discount, which will come to 1350-ish after third-party RAM upgrade to 2GB. Should I buy this machine and do away with the powerbook? It doesn't have FW800 or dual-link DVI, which bugs me, but I suppose I can live without.

Or rather, should I wait til the next refresh/revision? I imagine October will be the time and I'm hoping for Santa Rosa, LED backlight, and a better GPU (another stumbling block when considering the two machines since GMA 950 just pales even compared to the older Radeon 9700).

Advice is welcome. Thanks.
♥ PowerBook G4 1.67 15" / Silver 2G iPod Nano

Sethro
Forum Regular
Jul 13, 2007, 10:46 PM

A Macbook is a good computer, I personally use mine for University and its not bad taking it from class to class. Its well priced and reasonable, although it does have some shortcomings and advantages from a Powerbook or Macbook Pro

- Black Macbook has a matte finish attracts fingerprints and finger oils, causing shinny oily look.
- Keyboard takes some getting use to, you either love it or hate it.
- White Macbook discoloration issues (although techincally covered by Apple)
- Battery life is subpar compared to other Windows laptops in the market
- Build quality is somewhat poor i.e. Materials, plastics
- Somewhat heavy compared to larger Macbook Pro
- No dedicated video card
- Uses an Intel CPU, which means applications which are non-native (MS Office) will run slower
- No backlit keyboard, like the Powerbook and Macbook Pro

Here are some advantages to getting a Macbook

- Excellent design, sleek look and profile
- Ability to run both Windows XP / Vista and Mac OSX natively
- User replacable hard drive ( Not available in the Macbook Pro )
- Almost as powerful as Macbook Pro
- Smaller size

In the end its your choice, if I were you I would stick with the Powerbook for atleast another year. Its a proven machine, and your dont ever have to worry about finding Universal applications.

tintin220  (op)
Jul 13, 2007, 11:25 PM

Alright, thanks Sethro. I think I probably will wait at least another few months and save up some more money, maybe enough for an MBP.
♥ PowerBook G4 1.67 15" / Silver 2G iPod Nano

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 7, 2007, 12:50 PM

What's the latest thoughts on going from a 1.67 pb to a new macbook?

Forum Links
Forum Rules