Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Official 10.5 "It Shipped" and Arrival Thread

Official 10.5 "It Shipped" and Arrival Thread (Page 2)
SoBayJake
Forum Regular
Oct 26, 2007, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by damiensmunki View Post
Placed a signature release on my door last night, in case I was asleep when the delivery guy got here (exhausted student with a day off). Just woke up and tracked the package. The FedEx site said "8:04 - On FedEx vehicle for delivery," "8:41 - Delivery exception - Future delivery requested." What the...? Anyone know what this means? Am I not receiving Leopard today?
I got that too. At first, the person at FedEx tried to claim it was the SoCal wildfires. The supervisor discounted that, and said "I have no idea why he wouldn't deliver it. I will have him go back."

I really wasn't that surprised, as it appears the same that happens ever time they try to deliver a priority overnight package...the apartment office opens at 9, they try at 8:50....no one to give them the key fob to get in the building, so they just skip my entire complex!
Too many Apple/Mac products to even bother listing!

eggman
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 26, 2007, 01:16 PM

I just got one of those "Delivery exception" FedEx messages too. So I called (because I'm a curious fellow...) to find out what the problem was. First thing out of the customer support representative's mouth after I described the "Delivery Exception" situation was: "Is this one of those Apple packages?"

She said that due to the volume of these packages scheduled for shipment today, they're extending the arrival time on them to "BEFORE 4:30pm" rather than "BEFORE 10:30am".

They must be shipping out a LOT of these for it to push back FedEx priority delivery times.
And they must be getting a LOT of support inquiries from Apple fans about why this is happening for the lady on the phone to immediately ask if mine were one of them!

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 26, 2007, 01:22 PM

Amazon shipped mine by UPS overnight last night, so it isn't getting into their hands until today. Meaning I wont have it until Monday.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Richard Richard
Oct 26, 2007, 01:23 PM

i had the same problem with ups , i stayed in all day , even saw a truck drive by c. 4pm

then checked my ups account at 6pm and it said , tried delivering at 3.50pm - will attempt again on monday 29th

i think they just got swamped !
mac 4 evaah

64stang06
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2007, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by robot prom View Post
has anyone's Up To Date order shipped yet? Mine still says "Not yet shipped" and "Ships by: OCTOBER 26TH".
Same here.

Naaaaak
Forum Regular
Oct 26, 2007, 01:39 PM

AAPL just dumped all over me. I'm one of those who stayed up late doing backups and reformats to minimize downtime today and woke up early in anticipation of the 10:30 AM or earlier delivery. 10:30 AM passed and I, too, found a "Delivery exception: Future delivery requested" was made.

To clarify, they didn't come to my door and leave a note. An hour ago it was on the truck and "out for delivery". Just recently the delivery status was updated with the above message, meaning they called to delay it or something.

This is seriously retarded business.

First they withhold the final version from developers (in a futile effort to curb piracy, I guess), but popular reviewers get it. Apparently, good word of mouth makes 3rd party apps more compatible via placebo effect or something.
Then they tell their mailing lists anyone talking about it before 6 PM PST is in violation, even though plenty of other folks around the world have legitimate copies already.
Now they play the "lets try and make it as close to 6 PM PST as possible" game without prior notice.

I'd like to use Time Machine to go back and find the executives who made these calls and punch them in the face.
( Last edited by Naaaaak; Oct 26, 2007 at 01:56 PM. Reason: additions)
To be determined later.

Richard Richard
Oct 26, 2007, 01:56 PM

yeah , this bizarre obsession with it being released at 6pm is odd

that's the same time the couriers usually stop delivering parcels

how convenient...
mac 4 evaah

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Oct 26, 2007, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Naaaaak View Post
AAPL just dumped all over me. I'm one of those who stayed up late doing backups and reformats to minimize downtime today and woke up early in anticipation of the 10:30 AM or earlier delivery. 10:30 AM passed and I, too, found a "Delivery exception: Future delivery requested" was made.

To clarify, they didn't come to my door and leave a note. An hour ago it was on the truck and "out for delivery". Just recently the delivery status was updated with the above message, meaning they called to delay it or something.
It means FedEx is running late.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Oct 26, 2007, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by damiensmunki View Post
Placed a signature release on my door last night, in case I was asleep when the delivery guy got here (exhausted student with a day off). Just woke up and tracked the package. The FedEx site said "8:04 - On FedEx vehicle for delivery," "8:41 - Delivery exception - Future delivery requested." What the...? Anyone know what this means? Am I not receiving Leopard today?
Same here.

Originally Posted by shinji View Post
I have the same thing and I called Fedex, who gave the excuse that the driver does that when he's delayed, but they said it should be here by 2 and apologized. Jerks.
Good to know. I thought I would have to wait until tomorrow.

thunderous_funker
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 26, 2007, 02:16 PM

Arrived at 9:30am, an hour early.

So far, i'm really impressed with Safari. Its very fast and actually renders pages better (like sorting tables on Wowhead.com and hitting back button doesn't unsort the table). I've actually made Safari the default browser instead of Firefox. Crazy.

No one is on yet so I can't play with iChat, but when the wife gets home we'll put it thru its paces.

Love Mail and iCal changes. Sooooo nice. Spaces is groovy and even deals with WoW running in a window in a specific space nicely.

New Finder is much hotness. Only done a few network things but already it feels so much more integrated to connect, browse and search network shares. Always felt so kludgey before.

Only disappointment so far is that I can't use airdisk for Time Machine. Bought AEBS a week ago expressly for that purpose. Oh well. Oh, and for some reason Pages documents don't get previewed in Quick Look (but Word docs do). Strange.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die." -- Hunter S. Thompson

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 26, 2007, 02:23 PM

Just tried to install it on my rev. 1 2.16GHz MacBook Pro here at work. Did an upgrade install. Completed successfully, but wont boot. Boots with usual grey background and spinner, but stops with a blank blue screen.

Not good so far. Haven't had time to troubleshoot yet, but repeated attempts at rebooting result in same thing.

thunderous_funker
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 26, 2007, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Cadaver View Post
Just tried to install it on my rev. 1 2.16GHz MacBook Pro here at work. Did an upgrade install. Completed successfully, but wont boot. Boots with usual grey background and spinner, but stops with a blank blue screen.

Not good so far. Haven't had time to troubleshoot yet, but repeated attempts at rebooting result in same thing.
Leave it be. That is part of the upgrade. Mine sat on that blue screen for almost 2 minutes. New 24" iMac. Just give it some time.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die." -- Hunter S. Thompson

HazMacFan
Oct 26, 2007, 03:14 PM

FedEx dropped it off at my house at 10:10. One more hour and I'm home to install on my pseudo test box (iBook G4).
24" iMac 2.8 C2Ext,15" MBPro 2.2 C2D,20" iMac 2.0 G5,12" iBook 1.2 G4
16GB 3G iPhone, 60GB 5th Gen iPod, 20 GB 3rd Gen iPod

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Oct 26, 2007, 03:29 PM

3:30 pm EST and my Fed-Ex tracking still shows "Delivery Exception". Better be sitting on my doorstep when I get home from work today...

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2007, 04:26 PM

EDIT: Never mind...

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

Cliff_O
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 26, 2007, 04:31 PM

I received it at 10:30.

Nothing makes me happier than a smooth upgrade, but then my hardware is fairly new (C2D MBP circa February 2007). Everything seems to work as expected: my application software seems fine, printer prints, wireless keyboard and mouse work fine, external monitor works fine, Parallels and through it my connection to the office network works, I can use DUN via my Treo 755 to connect to Sprint, the esata drive (which Time Machine latched onto the instant it was connected) is spinning away happily, and the Airport drives are all working fine.

FWIW, I performed an upgrade rather than an archive and install, and the process took about 90 minutes installing onto a 120GB drive with 40GB free. For insurance, I created and tested a bootable backup last night and ran disk utility against the internal hard drive.
MBP 15" - 2.33Ghz C2D-3GB RAM-120GB HD
PB 15"-1.25GHz G4-1.5GB RAM-80GB HD-Superdrive

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Oct 26, 2007, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by Mrjinglesusa View Post
3:30 pm EST and my Fed-Ex tracking still shows "Delivery Exception". Better be sitting on my doorstep when I get home from work today...

Wife called and Fed-Ex guy just delivered it. I guess I get to have some fun tonight after all....

vertigociel
Forum Regular
Oct 26, 2007, 07:05 PM

I'm in line at the Pioneer Place store in Portland, OR. There's about 8 people in line, and it's only 4:00 on the dot. All the computers in the store already have it installed. It's my first time in line for an Apple product launch - it's pretty fun!
15" MacBook Pro C2D, 2.16 GHz, 2 GB RAM, Matte Display.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 26, 2007, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by thunderous_funker View Post

Leave it be. That is part of the upgrade. Mine sat on that blue screen for almost 2 minutes. New 24" iMac. Just give it some time.
It sat a while, so I reinstalled and did an archive and install on top of it all.
Works fine now. Did have to reenter my Aperture serial number, but not sure if that's due to Leopard or the Aperture update that came out today.

TheJoshu
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2007, 11:53 PM

My "delivery exception" was "Customer not available or business closed." I was livid, because I certainly hadn't heard a doorbell, and there was no note on the door! The woman at FedEx told me I could pick it up tonight from the warehouse across the borough, but that they wouldn't come back. By the time I called back, the guy was outside the house. He explained to me that he hadn't come earlier, but that they had been instructed not to deliver these "iPod" boxes until the late afternoon, and he had no idea why.

64stang06
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2007, 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by Mrjinglesusa View Post
Wife called and Fed-Ex guy just delivered it. I guess I get to have some fun tonight after all....
What, the wife isn't fun?

alfredo
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 27, 2007, 01:53 PM

I sent in my up to date a week ago and I have heard nothing. No e-mail, nothing on their site.

Forum Links
Forum Rules