Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Macbook : To Buy or Not To Buy.. Now?

Macbook : To Buy or Not To Buy.. Now?
ankurcd
Nov 26, 2007, 09:36 AM

Hello Friends,

I have made up my mind to buy myself a Macbook - the basic model. If I have my way, I would go right now and pick up one! But, since I am older and less impulsive - I am holding on to my urge...

It is just that I have heard Apple is going to introduce a new version in January? Is it true?? Should I wait? Please help me out of my dillema ...!!!!

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Nov 26, 2007, 10:02 AM

They might.
they might also release a small compact model which may not fit your needs.

They also might not.

For instance. Everyone was expecting apple to release an update to the MacPro line last week (or was it the week before I forget) so people held off on buying. They didn't and those folks are still waiting.

Are you looking to buy a MacBook or a MacBook pro. What are your needs and what are looking to do. Depending what you're looking to do, will make the decision to wait easier (or harder).

Don't forget that there will always be a new faster model being released around the corner and you don't want to get yourself in a position where you are always waiting. Apple just released a small update to the laptop lines, so I'm not sure what could be done in January.

If you need something now, buy it now and get the most out of it. If you can wait or the rumored features are exactly what you want then perhaps waiting is the wisest move. Its your money and only you can make that decision.

ankurcd  (op)
Nov 26, 2007, 10:13 AM

Hey thanks for the advice. I am looking at a the white Macbook Intel Core 2 Duo / 2,0 GHz / 80 GB.

I have a IBM Thinkpad for my office work and the Mac will be purely for my personal use - light entertainment, multimedia, photos, chatting, writing, internet surfing (I heard the Mac doesn't have an inbuilt modem???). I will also require to open MS Excel, Word and Powerpoint documents (for this should I go for MS Office for Mac or will iWork do?)

Thanks for the advice. I am not really crazy about the slight processor speed that may increase during 2008 - so once I get your clarification on my doubts - I will go buy myself a Mac :

1) Does the Macbook base model have an inbuilt modem for net surfing? is it enabled for wireless router?

2) I will also require to open MS Excel, Word and Powerpoint documents (for this should I go for MS Office for Mac or will iWork do?)

Thanks in advance!

HazMacFan
Nov 26, 2007, 10:22 AM

I'm afraid Apple dropped standard modems a since going to the Intel platform. They do have a USB based external modem that you can buy from them when you pick up your MacBook. All MacBooks do come standard with Airport (WIFI 802.11n) standard so you got that covered.

I use iWork to open MS Office documents and presentations fine. You might loose some of the latest templates and formatting when you re-save in iWork. I believe you loose that funcionality with MS Office for Mac 2004 which is the only alternative till January when Microsoft releases Office 2008 for Mac. I don't know what you might loose then. But, for $79 you can't beat the price of iWork.
24" iMac 2.8 C2Ext,15" MBPro 2.2 C2D,20" iMac 2.0 G5,12" iBook 1.2 G4
16GB 3G iPhone, 60GB 5th Gen iPod, 20 GB 3rd Gen iPod

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Nov 26, 2007, 10:22 AM

One piece of advise regarding posting.

Having the font bolded is kind of tough on the eyes

ankurcd  (op)
Nov 26, 2007, 10:29 AM

SORRY!

I assure that was my last bold fonted entry - my sincere apologies....

Hi HazMacFan, I can wait till MS Office for Mac 2008. I was aware that one can open MS documents via iWork - but can we create an iWork document and save it as an MS Doc? e.g - I create a Pages document and save it as MS Word?

Thanks a lot for your replies....

ankurcd  (op)
Nov 26, 2007, 01:09 PM

Hello Friends,

1) I was aware that one can open MS documents via iWork - but can we create an iWork document and save it as an MS Doc? e.g - I create a Pages document and save it as MS Word?

2) There have been reports of the white Macbooks fading in colour... has this issue been fixed?

Thanks in advance for your replies...

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Nov 26, 2007, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by ankurcd View Post
Hello Friends,

1) I was aware that one can open MS documents via iWork - but can we create an iWork document and save it as an MS Doc? e.g - I create a Pages document and save it as MS Word?
Yes, generally if you save it as a RTF (Rich Text Format) its compatible. While I haven't tried it, you may be able to save it as a .doc (or .xls) file too.

2) There have been reports of the white Macbooks fading in colour... has this issue been fixed?
I dunno, try asking this in the Macbook forum. From the reports I've read Apple has gotten their hands around the problem so I don't think its occuring anymore but since I don't own one, I cannot say if this has been definitively corrected.

HazMacFan
Nov 26, 2007, 02:12 PM

Yes in Pages you can export to multiple formats PDF, Word, RTF, and Plain Text. In Numbers you can export to PDF, Excel, and CSV. So, you should be able to "coexist" with MS Office.

I second MacosNerd on the physical appearance, I don't personally own a MacBook but I know a few friends that do and aside from the initial cracking that happened when it was first released, the ones that bought theirs after this spring seem to be have had no issues whatsoever.
24" iMac 2.8 C2Ext,15" MBPro 2.2 C2D,20" iMac 2.0 G5,12" iBook 1.2 G4
16GB 3G iPhone, 60GB 5th Gen iPod, 20 GB 3rd Gen iPod

ankurcd  (op)
Nov 27, 2007, 04:30 AM

Thanks Macosnerd and HazMacFan.... for the inputs...

mduell
Posting Junkie
Nov 27, 2007, 07:18 PM

MacBook or MacBook Pro.

My estimate is that the MacBook won't be upgraded until 2Q08, but the MacBook Pro will be upgraded in January or February.

Mojo
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 28, 2007, 04:46 PM

I recently purchased a new/used copy of iWork '08 through Amazon.com for around $58 including shipping. (eBay prices tend to be comparable.) The disk arrived without a box but in an unopened envelope. Pages is a very capable word processing and page layout program. My initial experience creating a new letterhead using one of the included templates was positive; so far Pages is a LOT easier to use than AppleWorks. And all the reviews I have read state that Keynote is a Microsoft "Powerpoint Killer." It seems like a very good value for the money.

Professional Poster
Nov 28, 2007, 05:01 PM

MacBook discoloration was due to cheap plastics in the first MacBooks, and has since been attended to.

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Nov 28, 2007, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
MacBook or MacBook Pro.

My estimate is that the MacBook won't be upgraded until 2Q08, but the MacBook Pro will be upgraded in January or February.
The Macbook did recently get an update, so more updates would be a ways off.

I would expect (ok, HOPE) that they would update the Macbook Pro at Macworld in January. But then again updates are happening rather frequently these days, and are not the big events they used to be.

Just buy the computer which will suit you now. There is no point waiting for an update. Be happy with what you have when you have it.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Nov 28, 2007, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by JoshuaZ View Post
I would expect (ok, HOPE) that they would update the Macbook Pro at Macworld in January. But then again updates are happening rather frequently these days, and are not the big events they used to be.
Intel may not have the chips out until Feb; I haven't seen a firm/confirmed Penryn mobile launch date yet.

ankurcd  (op)
Nov 29, 2007, 03:31 AM

Originally Posted by JoshuaZ View Post
The Macbook did recently get an update, so more updates would be a ways off.

Just buy the computer which will suit you now. There is no point waiting for an update. Be happy with what you have when you have it.
I guess you are right.... as far as Macbooks go... this as good a time as any to buy one... Macbook Pro is expected to get some touches at the Macworld...

Can anybody say, historically, how often has Apple revised (reduced or increased) the prices for Macbooks?

Thanks...everyone..
Regards, Ankur
-----------------------------------
switching from windows (via a Macbook) right after Steve's keynote on MWSF Jan 15 '08...!!!

Gish
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 29, 2007, 08:39 PM

A macbook would definitely work for you, but I would go as far to say that you may want to consider looking at an iBook or PowerBook G4. None of the applications and uses you stated will really benefit so much from a MacBook that it will be worth the extra price.

Also, I just want to make sure that you are clear on asking about the modem. The modem is something for dialup internet, while an ethernet port, for DSL and cable internet coming from a router, is standard on all of the Macs, as is the wireless card.

brightwindows
Baninated
dealstudio spammer
Nov 30, 2007, 12:57 AM

Hey ankurcd ,I know your thoughts ,my suggestion for you is that you can just take your time choose one better one , if you can get something you do satisfied , you can get it or you can just wait for the new ones come out . And I want to tell you that the Apple MacBook Pro MA895LL is quite good,it got good reviews:
Compare Prices and Read Reviews on Apple MA895LL/A Mac Notebook at Epinions.com
Newegg.com - Apple MacBook Pro MA895LL Intel Core 2 Duo T7500(2.20GHz) 15.4" WXGA+ 2GB DDR2 667 120GB 5400rpm DVD±R/RW NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT Mac OS X v10.4 Tiger - Retail
And now the price is for $1803 :
dealstudio.com :: View Deals - :: Deals, Coupons, Rebates, Freebies, Discounts, Bargains
( Last edited by brightwindows; Nov 30, 2007 at 01:04 AM. )

brettcamp
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 2, 2007, 02:59 AM

ankurcd  (op)
Dec 2, 2007, 06:30 AM

thanks Brettcamp...

decided to wait for MWSF 2008 after all....
Regards, Ankur
-----------------------------------
switching from windows (via a Macbook) right after Steve's keynote on MWSF Jan 15 '08...!!!

Forum Links
Forum Rules