Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > G4/450 startup/ wakeup problems

G4/450 startup/ wakeup problems
TATungseth
Dec 30, 1999, 07:51 AM

I have a G4/ 450 that has severe boot and wakeup problems. The problem is intermittent, but sometimes the computer won't start up or wakeup from sleep for hours at a time. Since this problem has thus far stumped Apple Telephone Support as well as a couple of technicians in the repair shop, I wanted to see if anyone out there has any suggestions.

Basically, sometimes (which vary widely), the computer won't chime upon startup, there will be no video, and I won't hear the hard disk spin up. The power light will go to green, but there will be no further activity.

Apple online til says that they're aware of this problem if more than one gig of RAM is installed or where nonstandard USB devices are installed. Neither is the case here. The RAM is as shipped at 128 MB, and I only have the keyboard and mouse on USB. Apple til says that a suggested short-term workaround is to sleep instead of power down in those cases, so I tried that. But then the problem occurs upon an attempt to wakeup. No video, no hard disk, etc. The light just turns from amber to green.

It was diagnosed as being a bad video card. That was replaced, but with no change to the problem.

Interesting observations include the fact that, upon a normal startup, my monitor will turn on, then off, then on again, before showing the happy mac. Also, the suggested solution of Command-Option-P-R (zapping the PRAM) to clear up any "corruption" seems to have no effect. While it will chime a second time, as noted, it didn't seem to do anything. Such as my system clock will still have the correct time, my options are the same, etc.

Any suggestions out there? This problem is driving me crazy. Thanks!

foah
Dec 31, 1999, 06:02 AM

well i have the same machine, g4/450. but as a fellow user, i'm sorry to say i haven't had any problems of this sort. i guess buying the 'new' computer such as the g4, with it's new architecture and chip, is a risk for users. but actually i replied if you had the same problems i'm having with my g4. one, CONTROL-COMMAND-POWER KEY doesn't work on my computer when my computer froze and i need to restart the computer. now i have to reach down and press the force-restarting button on the machine's front panel. do you or anyone else have the same problem? or did apple get ride of the restarting combo keys? and another problem when using word98 with virtual memory off, does anyone get error messages like "not enough memory" when you want to open, save, print or new document? i have 128mb of ram and supplied 15000k of memory usage for word, but still i get the message. when i turned on virtual memory, it was resolved but i'm curious if anyone's having the same problems using a g4/450, or os9?

sincerely,
foah

Cymro
Jan 1, 2000, 09:35 AM

I have a PowerMac 450 and when I first got it I had no problems whatsoever with waking from sleep. I erased the HardDisk and reinstalled the Software a while ago and it then would not wake from sleep (only show he green light, i had no video/HD) and I would have to force-restart. I erased and reinstalled software again and now I have no problems. So It's either a problem with the System Software or some sort of Hard Disk corruption. I don't think it is a fault in the computer hardware.

TATungseth  (op)
Jan 2, 2000, 04:33 AM

Hmmm. I tried that (reinstall of the system software), but to no avail. The same problem kept happening in the same way. My G4 still has problems with startp and waking from sleep.

Just curious -- are you using OS 8.6 or 9.0? I'm using 8.6, which came with the G4. And I'm only speculating here -- but I wonder if 9.0 wouldn't have this problem. It is my understanding that both the G3 and the G4 motherboards use the same basic motherboard architecture, and since 8.6 predates both of these machines, I wonder if this problem wouldn't be ironed-out as 9.0 was developed with these mew machines in mind?

Thanks. Since Apple tech support can't figure this problem out, this is currently my working theory. . . .

newsmac
Jan 2, 2000, 11:07 AM

Since you say the problem is occasional, it sounds like corruption problems, probably the pram, finder preferences, desktop files, and possibly your hard drive file system. Be advised that the 4 key pram zap only zaps the top 64 bytes of pram. The other 192b remains intact, and this in fact is where most corruption hides. 2 ways to fix that: download and use the TechTool utility (either the free v1.1.9 or the Pro v2.5...for $$$)( or similar program), or open the box and remove the battery (for a few minutes) from the motherboard, NOT an option unless you are technically proficient. Rebuilding your desktop files (using the cmd+option key during startup) may help, but this will only rebuild what is already there. Again, if the files are already corrupted, then they will usually stay that way but with an updated database to infect. TechTool will completely DELETE the desktop file and force the system to rebuild a completely new database, which will eliminate any possibility of corruption. Trashing your finder preferences is easy, just use the find file to locate the file, drag it to the trash, BUT DO NOTEMPTY IT ! Then restart and THEN empty the trash. This causes your system to build a new preference file and may help some of the problems. Either 8.6 or 9 should run fine on your machine, since both of them are designed for the G3 & G4 processors, even though the G4 uses the UMA motherboard. As a last resort, you could erase and reformat the hard drive, that is as long as you have a system OS CD to boot up from. This is a time consuming, very involved project, but will be worth it if it eliminates the problems and gets your system running like it should. And with the "Drive Set-up" utility on the CD, it is not all that difficult. Still, use this as a last resort, and ask for help if you are even the least bit uncertain about how to proceed. Just ask, we are here for you! Good luck

Bail
Jan 2, 2000, 01:36 PM

I have a new sawtooth G4/350 with OS9 and had the same problem .I reinstalled the System Folder and the problem was solved.The only problem I have now is that when I put the computer to sleep my TCP/IP preferences get corrupted and I can't get online(cable modem).I then have to trash the TCP/IP preferences and re-do them in the control panel.This problem does not occur when I shut down the computer however.

Cymro
Jan 2, 2000, 03:53 PM

I have a G4 450 (original config) and OS 9.
I completely erased my HD and then re-installed the System software and my g4 woke up from sleep correctly after that - but erasing the HD and reinstalling the OS is how the problem occured the first time, so it's a bit confusing.

TATungseth  (op)
Jan 4, 2000, 05:33 AM

Well, I've tried all of that (replying specifically to newsmac's post), with the exception of wiping my hard drive. I've unplugged the machine and removed the battery for a few minutes, I've rebuilt the desktop as instructed, and I've re-installed the system software (OS 8.6 is what came with it). The same problem keeps showing up in the same way, and these solutions neither seemed to make it better or worse

Like all intermittent problems, it's a pain, because you never know if the change solved the problem, or if it's just not occurring this time around.

But since Disk First Aid and Norton Utilities give my hard drive a clean bill of health, and since I've re-installed the system software, I'm guessing that reformatting my HD won't make any difference.

But since I managed to stump apple tech support, and it's been in and out of the shop, apple's going to save me any more headache, and they're going to replace my machine!!! Not only are they going to replace it, but since I was one of the customers who bought the "old" 450, which now comes with a 400 CPU, they're going to replace it with the "new" 450 configuration, with DVD-RAM, 256 MB RAM, 27 gig, and all of that.

So, thanks to Apple, I remain a loyal and happy customer!

Thanks for your help in trying to get to the bottom of this problem. I am still curious as to what it could be, and I guess that I'll never find out. My guess is that it's somewhere in the power supply. Is there any kind of "breaker" that could possibly "trip" erroneously and not allow the computer to startup? What is strange is that the computer runs perfectly once it decides to start up (or wake up).

Thanks again. It looks like Apple is going to take care of me.

Cymro
Jan 4, 2000, 02:06 PM

You lucky lucky person! I have the original 450 config, I think I will try and get the computer not to wake from sleep again and see if i can get a new 450 w/ DVD ram etc.

Anyway, I also checked my HD with Norton and got no problems, I just think it a stupid bug, oh well.

Hope you enjoy your new machine!

TATungseth  (op)
Jan 4, 2000, 08:16 PM

Believe me, I would have been much happier with the machine working in the first place! I work on my computer, so having it in and out of the shop over the last month has left me "unemployed," so to speak.

Yeah, the "bigger, badder, and better" 450 will be nice, but those aren't features that I really need. Just having a machine that turned on when I pressed the power button would have left me happy.

Thanks for your support!

Moof
Jan 16, 2000, 01:30 AM

I am having the samr type of problem on my brand new G4 350. I have discovered if I use my iMacs keyboard and the G4s mouse everything works fine. The weird thing is when I use the G4's keyboard on the iMac (333, tangerine) the iMac works fine. I dont get it....

[email protected]

TATungseth  (op)
Jan 16, 2000, 05:19 AM

In case anyone is interested, apple is now "aware" of the situation, and it has something to do with the USB system (in their opinion). Check out their tech info archive for more information.

My problem manifested itself with a problem of starting up and waking up from sleep, and, eventually, a progressively worse corruption of my hard disk. But according to the tech info archive some other people are getting a "three chimes" warning upon startup, and then the same sorts of problems. But it doesn't seem to be affecting all G4's -- but a number of them.

I got my replacement from Apple, and it works like a charm! I couldn't be happier. Good luck with the problems that you are having.

Moof
Jan 17, 2000, 12:22 PM

I just got off the phone with Apple, they have confirmed that the wake/sleep/restart problems I have been experiencing on my 3 G4's (2 Sawtooth, 1 Yikes) are due to the keyboard. They are shipping me three new keyboards.

[email protected]

TATungseth  (op)
Jan 17, 2000, 08:33 PM

Three defective keyboards? That's odd to say the least. Did Apple offer any clues as to what the nature of the problem may be, meaning how a defective keyboard manages to bring the entire system to a standstill?

I kind of don't think that was my problem, because as soon as I got the system to actually start up, things worked fine, relatively speaking. The keyboard always seemed to work consistently.

Since I have ow heard from a number of places that the startup/ wakeup problems are USB-related, I wonder if your problem is really somewhere in the USB hardware or software inside your Mac?

Good luck, and hopefully that will take care of the problem.

mmintler
Forum Regular
Jan 18, 2000, 02:58 PM

I am having a similar problem. When my G4 has been put in Sleep mode for extended amount of time...Instead of waking I get a blank gray screen. I have to restart my computer to correct this. How frustrating...what's the point of having a Sleep mode if it doesn't work. Can someone list the tech info # in Apple's archive regarding this problem....
thanks
Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-
Albert Einstein

tomgb
Jan 18, 2000, 03:23 PM

to mmintler query: I had the same problem (G4 450 sawth) and found success with the following: From the energy saver panel select (1) Sleep = never (2) Display sleep = (you pick a number you like) (3) disk drive = pick a number or use minimum 30 min. Let your Mac put itself to sleep this way. It won't"sleep" as many things but will still save some on the monitor and let the hd spin down. It should come back from sleep OK though. Do NOT select "sleep" from the menubar - let the automatic feature do the work for you.

jonkeegan
Jan 18, 2000, 03:56 PM

Yes, this sounds very closely related to what happened to my brand new G4/400/AGP ( currently is the able hands of NYC's Tekserve). It worked fine all day on the first day I got it (1-14), then trying to startup later that night, it juts stalls at the chime...monitor doesn't power up, the drives spin up, but that's it...I can't zap the PRAM, or force a reboot from the keyboard...and the capslock key does not light up, possibly addressing some USB issue...I tried removing the battery, hitting the battery reset button ( for more than a minute), shifting the RAM location, can't boot from the CD, cant startup AT ALL...Very troubling to read of so many startup/shutdown/sleep issues...I Hope they can address this via some sort of firmware update in the future, so we all have stable machines!

Good luck, and I will update as to the problem when it is revealed...

-Jon Keegan

Moof
Jan 18, 2000, 04:31 PM

TATungseth,

All I can tell you is that after swapping keyboards between my 3 G4's and 3 iMac's all the problems stopped on the G4's. The iMacs then inherited all of the problems the G4's had. When I talked to the Apple Engineer, he thought that was very interesting and decided to send me three new keyboards. This to me made alot of sense, since 2 of the G4's were Sawtooth based, and the other was Yikes, the keyboard was the only common link.

Also, when the "bad" keyboard is plugged in to the Yikes box,if the machine goes to sleep a USB hub on the Yikes totally freaks out when I wake it up. It actually locks the machine. The hubs lights flash rapidly and it makes a "clicking" noise. When it has an iMac keyboard this dosnt happen.

Moof
Jan 18, 2000, 04:34 PM

TATungseth,

One other thing, when the bad keyboards are plugged into the iMac I get no vedeo, no mac happy face, just a grey screen. No hard drive action, nothing. Try a different keyboard, I would bet the problem goes away. I am having the exact proble you are having with your G4 on my iMac now, because it has the G4 keyboard.

Moof
Jan 18, 2000, 04:38 PM

TATungseth,

Also, when I get the machines up with a bad keyboard, they work fine until it goes into sleep mode. the apple engineer thought it had to do with some sort of USB issue specific to the keyboard.

jonkeegan
Jan 18, 2000, 04:47 PM

Question:

do your machines work ok without any keyboard or mouse? Mine was still locked up without ANY usb devices attatched...

-Jon Keegan

TATungseth  (op)
Jan 18, 2000, 06:19 PM

In my case, the computer still would not start up with EVERYTHING detached from the computer (except the power cord, of course). But the monitor, ethernet, and all USB devices were unplugged and it still was dead.

I should note that the damage may have already been done. The system had already shown signs of severe disk corruption, such as generic icons, freezes when accessing files, etc.

It is interesting that the problems discussed here seem to indicate problems with USB devices, while I had thought my problem was pinpointed to being with the computer itself.

When I got my new machine, I was thinking about keeping my mouse and keyboard, and just swapping out the CPU. Good thing that I decided to start fresh and new. Wouldn't that be a kicker if the problem were really in the keyboard, and that's the only thing that I kept, thereby messing up my new G4!

Anyway, there are a couple of tech info articles on the subject, the most pertinent being this one: http://til.info.apple.com/techinfo.nsf/artnum/n75016. I note that they think is has to do with "self-powered" USB devices, and also, the problem seems to fix itself when the USB devices are unplugged. This didn't work in my case. Not to mention, sometimes "hot plugging" would CAUSE a freeze. . . .

TATungseth  (op)
Jan 18, 2000, 10:24 PM

Please note that in the last message, the system included the period at the end of the sentence into the HTML link, so it won't work.

So either delete the period, or try clicking here: http://til.info.apple.com/techinfo.nsf/artnum/n75016

I hope this helps. And hopefully the problem will be "solved" shortly.

mmintler
Forum Regular
Jan 19, 2000, 12:11 PM

(re:my ealier post)I spoke to Apple Tech Support today about this issue...I mentioned replacing the keyboard and was told that keyboard replacements were done in response to a "different" problem. Something about bad mapping chips(whatever). Anyway, he confirmed that the wakeup problem was a USB problem. Apparently during sleep USB goes off and there is not adequate power to wake up the computer. His suggestion was to unplug my mouse and then plug it back into the keyboard and everything should wake up fine. Or he said turning his printer off/on would also remedy the situation. He also said that Apple is aware of the problem and is "possibly" working on a firmware update to change the way sleep works. We'll see........
Albert Einstein

snowcrazy2
Jan 23, 2000, 02:43 AM

I have replies to many comment in this thread, so I'll just go down the list as it stands and add my 2� as it flows.

TATungseth: you should let the PRAM sap restart the computer >3 times before letting go of the key combo. The system clock will keep it's settings. Very few settings are actually stored in the top 64k of PRAM.

foah: Since Apple has moved to USB, there is no more use for cmd-cont-pwr. The keyboard no l,onger has any hardware connection to the computer. So this has to be recognized in software. Unless the system software is still active, this key combo will not do anything. It's still worth a try (it will work after some soft crashes, but rarely during a freeze), but that is why Apple addad the reset buttons to their macines.

Cymro: I work at an Apple dealer, and our demo G4 450 has intermittant sleep/ startup problems. On occasion, it takes 2 or three trieds to start. What it will do, is power up, then shut down. It shuts down just before the monitor would power up. On the 2nd or 3rd try, it starts up just as though nothing had happened. It just started this behavior yesterday. It has never awoken from sleep properly. It will almost awake and then freeze. Our solution has been to set it to never sleep and then let the monitor go down after a half hour. This is a conflict, however, b/c before installing porinter drivers and such it worked fine with regards to sleeping.

TATungseth: the G4 down at the store has OS 9 installed and is using an Airport card.

newsmac: very true on the PRAM issue, but it's still the first step in trying to get any system up and running. if it wasn't brand new, I'd also check the battery if it's startup issues. There are a few more options for the desktop files. ONe can get Conflict catcher (the free demo will work fine for this) toi rebuild the desktop file. It deletes it and forces a complete rebuild of it. Another way is to use Apple's free ResEdit utility and change the visiblity attribues of the files to visible, and just drag them to the trash. the files are called Desktop DF and Desktop DB. Another route is to use Sherlock to find invisible files, and then drag them to the trash. The finder prefs is another good place to look, though not all that frequently does it solve anything. If I'm not mistaken, he'd already tried a reinstall, but I suppose a reformat could have more of an effect. Just pop in the "Apple G4 resore" CD and open the Apple Aoftware Restore app. Then click on erase drive before restoring. It takes about 15 minutes.

Bail: Delete all the AOL crap out of your extentions folder. Probably wil fix the problem. We see that alot in service where the user's modem or TCP/PPP prefs get screwy.

Cymro: interesting... very interesting...

TATungseth: You damn lucky bastard!! Your problem makes no sense to me whatsoever, but hey--gettig twice the machine for your pains is more tha worth it my book! Good luck with the faster one!

Cymro: ditto

TATungseth: lol. I know alot of people that have the same opinion as you. That's the problem with the newest technology. But if you don't get it today, it's going to be out of date that much sooner. So I hope you and Apple have got this thing licked. And I hope Apple or your dealer can tear your machine limb from limb and see what the heck is wrong with it, so they can fix it when and if it croips up again.

moof: Now that is an interesting idea. I think I'll have to do some keyboard swappage tomorrow at work and see what I can find. I let you know.

TATungseth: With the USB connections, the system software ends up running all over the keybard, so, who knows.... But I definitly agree that 3 bad keyboard to 1 person is damn odd. A bad mutant keybaord or Puck are much more likely than a bad computer componant. The mice and keyboards (I use the terms VERY loosely) are built to much less strick tollerances. And defective does not necc. mean it won't work right. It may have underlying problems.

mmintler: Don't know the TIL #, but I'm sure it's in there. Just do a search. That is what my Sawtooth 350 will do if I seep sleep it.

tomgb: that's the ticket. Only workaround I've found so far. But you should be running SETI on these G4s, anyway, right? this slow one will do a unit in <10hrs....

jonkeegan: OUCH! that suck a whole lot. I wouldn't even know where to look in that. If it won't boot at all, it's got to have somewho fried the logic board. But while asleep??? Musta been a power surge or something....

Moof: lol w/ the hub prob--never heard of the clicking. But I do know that alot of those mutant keyboard have been doing some realy funny stuff. I hear it here and I see it at work. I've gotta check it out with the G4 with the stratuyp trouble...

jonkeegan: haven';t tried it. I dunno

TATungseth: yeah, it does sound like your machine was on it's way down... very odd. And yes--hot plugging a bad USB device will cause a feeze. I remember we took a puck back that had shipped with an iMac DV that would kill the USB bus it was plugged into until the next restart. Tons of fun. At least with all the new machines you have 2 busses so you have 2 tried if something kills one of 'em.

mmintler: well, let's all hope for a firmware update.... ya'know, this is why I almost didn't take the chance to upgrade from my beige G3/266 to a new unified archetecture machine. I didn't want the trouble or instability waiting for firmware updates. And it'sthe fiasco with the G4 upgrades in the G3s that convinced me of it. But I figured, hey--this already has a G4 in it, so I don't need to worry about it. So will this upcoming firmware update keep us from out G5s? Only time will tell. Enough ranting for now... Good night and good luck to all, and thatnks for choosing Apple
--
Mike
[email protected]
Team Electronics (Oakdale, MN)

TATungseth  (op)
Jan 26, 2000, 08:05 PM

Well, it appears that apple tech thinks that it has found the cause of this problem, and thereby there is a solution. They think that some "defective" memory chips went out that cause system problems with self-powered USB devices.

The til article is the same that I posted above, but I will post it again here.
http://til.info.apple.com/techinfo.nsf/artnum/n75016

I'm no expert, but I still remain a little skeptical. Especially as discussed above where replacing keyboards seemed to solve the problem. . . .

I'd be interested in any feedback from anyone still experiencing this problem.

mmintler
Forum Regular
Feb 23, 2000, 02:54 PM

It's been almost a month since anyone has responded to this topic. I'm wondering if anyone has heard any new remedies from Apple regarding this issue....
Albert Einstein

kkneisley
Forum Regular
Mar 1, 2000, 09:50 AM

Would you believe...

I just setup my new G4/500, and I am having sleep problems! (I just can't go to bed )

Seriously, I am having the same troubles. I'll put it to sleep, and when it wakes, it's a 60/40 chance it'll survive. I haven't tried clearing the drive and reinstalling, and I really don't want to. Hell, I'm still installing my apps!

I'm calling Apple tonight, and will post any resolutions soon. I did notice that it woke fine from a self-induced sleep, but that could've been in the 40% chance.

I hope that is isn't a sign of things to come. I still need to install hardware into this bad boy.

------------------
-Keith

-Whatever you do, do the research.

TexasEx95
Mar 1, 2000, 10:17 PM

I have been having the same problems with my G4/400 since the get go. It won't recognize my hard drive and gives the flashing folder/question mark. Sometimes my screen won't even come on. I finally called Apple a couple of weeks ago because I was fed up with it. They couldn't figure out a software problem and sent me to the repair shop. They put in a new hard drive and ATA cable and said it was supposedly fixed. I came home and guess what. It still sucks. It seems worse now. I can't get it to do anything. I called Apple today and they were supposed to have someone call me about coming out to my house to fix it. They never called and so I called back and they promised they would have someone call within two days. They also told me that Apple would not replace it with a new computer and that I would have to deal with the Mac Zone people about this. So I guess I'll just have to wait it out. It's really pissing me off. Apple isn't really doing anything to put a smile on my face. I feel like I'm dealing with Microsoft. Scary.

TATungseth  (op)
Mar 2, 2000, 08:15 PM

Texas--
That really sucks. I just can't understand the reasoning of letting the customer deal with the problem. If it's not working out of the box, and the customer has made no modifications or anything, the unit should be replaced. No questions asked.

In my case, I was patient with one trip to the repair shop. They wanted me to make another trip and try something else, and I drew the line there. I insisted that I was shipped a $2,500 lemon and I expect a working unit or else I was going to speak with the BBB. That got me a phone call back.

I'd do some yelling at the retailer if I were you and make them fuss with Apple. And if they are unwilling to replace it, I'd get a refund and get it from another source. They can't just drop it in your lap and then wash their hands of it! Besides, you may get to take advantage of the new speed boost, no?

Good luck.

Bodhi
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 3, 2000, 06:47 PM

I just bought (3-1-00) a 450 G4 and I am having the sleep problem as well.

Has anyone found anything out yet? How can Apple continue to ship these knowing of the problems?

Is it the keyboard?

------------------
Love Apple...fix the G4!
~Peace~

TATungseth  (op)
Mar 3, 2000, 07:11 PM

Bodhi--
Did you try the suggested fix per the posted TIL? Unplugging all USB devices during startup?

Please keep us posted. I was under the impression that the problem had been solved and I am surprised to hear of it again in a newly-shipped machine.

Sorry abou that, and best of luck.

Bodhi
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 3, 2000, 08:27 PM

So what do I do? I unplug all USB - Restart - and then plug them back in and I should get sleep from then on out?

I'll try it...if this isn't what I am supposed to do then let me know and I will do it properly and let everyone know how it works.

------------------
Love Apple...fix the G4!
~Peace~

DWK
Mar 3, 2000, 08:52 PM

I�d really like to see a solution to this problem soon, I�m not to happy about restarting my Mac everytime it has gone to sleep. Either Apple gets a firmware update out NOW, or they should really replace ALL the G4 keyboards at no cost to the owner!

If Apple doesn�t solve these problems, they can�t sell the G4 with a sleep funktion.

Bodhi
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 3, 2000, 08:59 PM

You really think it's the keyboard? If so....why would my G4 have the problem? It shipped from Apple at the end of Feb. I bought it on the 1st of March....if it's been a problem, don't you think they would have shipped the better keyboard with mine?

------------------
Love Apple...fix the G4!
~Peace~

DWK
Mar 4, 2000, 08:41 AM

I don�t have a clue whats wrong with the G4, but untill Apple knows exactly whats wrong with them, they will not take any action it seams...

TATungseth  (op)
Mar 4, 2000, 06:37 PM

Bodhi--

I don't know for sure, but it seems to me that there is a simple way to determine whether it is the keyboard. Simply plug the mouse directly into the USB port and keep the keyboard disconnected. And then try to sleep, etc., and see if it behaves the same. All along I have had my doubts that it is the keyboard in most cases. See the note above that a keyboard was replaced to solve "another problem."

If I were you guys, I would keep on Apple's back until your problem is solved. I mean, these things aren't cheap! And the vast majority are working fine.

Good luck.

Bodhi
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 6, 2000, 02:08 AM

They want me to completely initilize my Hard Disk and they think that will fix my problem??? I bought this less than a week ago and already I should be initializing my Hard Disk???

------------------
Love Apple...fix the G4!
~Peace~

bluelemons
Mar 9, 2000, 12:34 PM

i am experiencing the same problems with my 450 blue and white G3 - won't wakeup from sleep. i have had it for going on 6 months now without any problems up until the other day. at first i thought it was some sort of extensions conflict. did all the testing i could...which proved nothing. i tried resetting the pram. this was the worst thing i could do because after that...it wouldn't start up. the hideous blinking question mark folder. i then clean installed with os9 again. same thing...nothing. so i went for 8.6...which worked and allowed me to at least get the stuff off my hard drive so i could get to the bottom of this. all along it still wouldn't wake up from sleep. i zeroed the data...did a low level format to intialize the disk and installed basic os9 software. keep my fingers crossed...it worked. so i went on installing a few other things (printer drivers, cdrw drivers, photoshop and quark). worked after it did that too. i went to bed happy...then woke up this morning to the same thing. wouldn't wake up. i don't know what it is...i am calling apple tonight after work to find out if they have a clue by now. by the previous post...it looks as if they still don't. anybody else figured anything out???

someone
Mar 9, 2000, 10:11 PM

I just purchased a new G4, and must also agree with your comments. During normal startup my Studio Display 21" turns off and then on again before starting up. More than once the green light on my G4 would come on, but with no hard disk sound and no video.

HELP!!

impromp101
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 9, 2000, 10:16 PM

My older Apple 15" LCD display also comes on, goes off, then comes on again during startup. Otherwise it works fine and I just ignore it.

I do have the well known problem of a startup hang if my VST floppy disk USB drive is plugged in. Sure enough, the computer boots if it's not plugged in (I can hot plug it in after startup).

I hope the drive issue gets solved, but it's a minor point. I really like the G4.

ichou
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 12, 2000, 04:23 PM

Ok. My turn. I just bought a G4/500 DP and I am also having wake-up problems. I don't seem to have the startup issues but if it is asleep for a long time (greater than 8 hours) it will not wake up. I end up having to reset it. Has anyone found a resolution to this? I have not yet tried unplugging and replugging in the keyboard. Seems that it is ok as long as I wake it up within 7-8 hours but longer than that...

Bwa
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 12, 2000, 09:29 PM

This is odd. I have a Beige G3 w/ a KeySpan USB card w/ a Logitech USB Mouse and Lexmark USB laser printer. I just recently started having wake-from-sleep problems and I'm pretty sure it's not an extensions conflict since I have installed nothing (hardware or software) in 2 months! Anyway, I rarely can wake the machine up when it goes to sleep by itself (OS 8.6).

ichou
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 14, 2000, 02:04 PM

Well, I had he problem again and unplugging and replugging in the keyboard doesn't work. It appears it makes it so that it shuts it off completely.Had to reboot again.

neighorn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 8, 2001, 04:32 AM

Is anyone else still having this problem? I have a G4 500MP with the issue (Gigabit ethernet). Has anyone found a solution?

KILLIANS
Feb 11, 2001, 03:13 PM

I, too, am having the wake from sleep issue on a G4 450 DP (gigabit ethernet) purchased from Apple in September of 2000. Until reading some of the posts I never noticed that I consistently will have the "no wake" problem after it has sat overnight. I am going to try and give Apple a call and see if they have any sort of advice and I'll post back here with any pertinent info.

KILLIANS

Forum Links
Forum Rules