Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPhone not for sale today?

iPhone not for sale today?
knov
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 25, 2008, 10:39 AM

I'm in Arlington, VA. Went to Clarendon Apple Store early this morning...was told that you cannot buy the iPhone there today. There will be a new purchasing policy rolled out tomorrow...something about getting a claims ticket, etc.

Anyone having similar issues or heard more about this?

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jul 25, 2008, 01:37 PM

Haven't heard about this and I find it highly unlikely that Apple would do this. Having people come to their stores is a good thing for them.

zoetrope
Jul 25, 2008, 02:16 PM

Someone also mentioned this claim ticket policy on the Ars Technica MacAch forum here:

http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/...1#317001853931

This is either a nasty rumor, or Apple has finally realized what a debacle this whole day long purchase experience really is.

HazMacFan
Jul 25, 2008, 03:27 PM

I stopped by the Oxmoor, KY store this morning at 9:00, no lines but I was told no 3G iPhones in stock. The guy I saw picking one had some green looking ticket. Didn't register in mind then but now that I read this sounds like he had a claim ticket of some sort. Maybe.
24" iMac 2.8 C2Ext,15" MBPro 2.2 C2D,20" iMac 2.0 G5,12" iBook 1.2 G4
16GB 3G iPhone, 60GB 5th Gen iPod, 20 GB 3rd Gen iPod

HazMacFan
Jul 26, 2008, 10:11 AM

Just picked one this morning. The process was to stand outside the store where the Orange shirt Concierge "pre-qualified" me. I was asked what model I wanted (they were out of the 16GB Black) before the store was open. I then got a claim ticket that was numbered and had the model I wanted checked on it. I was free to stand in the activation line after the store opened or go home and come back before 8:00 PM today (date is on the claim ticket). The first line took 20 minutes then the purchase/activation line took maybe 20 minutes till it was my turn. My activation process took another 15 minutes and my phone was active on 3G before I walked out of the store.

I stood in line at 7:45 AM and walked out around 9:00 AM with an active iPhone

All in all not a bad experience.
24" iMac 2.8 C2Ext,15" MBPro 2.2 C2D,20" iMac 2.0 G5,12" iBook 1.2 G4
16GB 3G iPhone, 60GB 5th Gen iPod, 20 GB 3rd Gen iPod

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jul 26, 2008, 10:40 AM

Well, it looks like the claim ticket thing is for real. That seems like a good way of doing it - looks like it went smoothly.

frdmfghtr
Senior User
Jul 26, 2008, 08:31 PM

It is a very smooth process; I like the idea of "pre-qualifying" while in line and getting a claim ticket so you can come back later instead of spending hours in line.

BoingoBongo
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 27, 2008, 01:31 AM

Sounds very smart. Glad to hear they've finally figured things out.

Forum Links
Forum Rules