Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Macbook audio/video studder....

Macbook audio/video studder....
silentsnake09
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 3, 2009, 09:43 PM

OK I have the most annoying problem with my macbook. Its a Core2Duo blackbook from late 2006. For the past few months videoplay back has been horrible. What it does it when I am watching some video the audio and video will skip than miss a few frames than jump a few than just freeze or crash itunes or vlc. I have no idea what us causing this if anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated.
Macbook Black: 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2GB memory 120GB hard drive Double-layer SuperDrive
<edited by the management>

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 4, 2009, 11:39 AM

ANY video or just specific files, or just specific formats?

First, check the Activity Viewer to see what other processes might be running away when you play a video (be sure to have it show "all processes", not just your user processes).

Second, run Apple Hardware Test from the first install DVD that came with your 'book. Run the extended test. Might be defective RAM.

silentsnake09  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 4, 2009, 03:51 PM

pretty much all video is doing this

1.I did archive and install, no help
2. ran hardware test memory is fine
3.check system activity, nothing unusual is running.

this is driving me nuts
Macbook Black: 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2GB memory 120GB hard drive Double-layer SuperDrive

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 4, 2009, 06:34 PM

Open up Activity Monitor and see if your processors are spiking during playback.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

silentsnake09  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 4, 2009, 07:23 PM

so I am sure its all heat now. I got the top keyboard area off my macbook and I am running HD video, ichat, mail, and firefox with 8 tabs open flawlessly. The macbook is running 20 C cooler than when its all closed up. So my question is, whats the best cooler for the macbook? I am not under warranty so I cant send it in.

Forum Links
Forum Rules