Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > Samsung Unpacked 2014 Episode 2 reveals two smartphones, Gear VR

Samsung Unpacked 2014 Episode 2 reveals two smartphones, Gear VR
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Sep 3, 2014, 09:27 AM

Samsung's Unpacked 2014 Episode 2 event at IFA has concluded, and has seen the launch of multiple devices from the company. The expected Samsung Galaxy Note 4 is joined by the Galaxy Edge, a previously-rumored smartphone which adds a small display over the side of the device. While Samsung has already revealed the Gear S smartwatch, it has also formally unveiled its Gear VR virtual reality headset which pairs with the Samsung Galaxy Note 4.

As expected, the Galaxy Note 4 has debuted. The "phablet" features improved S Pen functionality, a larger screen, and usability enhancements focusing on multitasking. A faster processor, and more RAM improve further on the earlier Galaxy Note 3. It is expected on T-Mobile and AT&T in October.

The Galaxy Edge has been rumored for some time, and is finally seeing the light of day. The biggest addition to the phone is a discrete screen along the edge of the device, with customization options, and the ability to deliver notifications to the user without activating the main screen. It will be available alongside the Galaxy Note 4 in October.

The Galaxy Gear VR headset is a peripheral for the Galaxy Note 4, and requires one to function. It was introduced by Oculus Rift's CTO John Carmack, and is the result of a close partnership between the pair. It is intended as a beta release, for early adopters only, similar to the status of the Oculus Rift for PC gamers.

( Last edited by NewsPoster; Sep 3, 2014 at 10:55 AM. )

b9bot
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 3, 2014, 11:51 AM

So I don't see any features that would make me want to buy any of this. The phone looks fat and who the heck uses a stylus anymore? Weren't they used on some gadget named Palm back in the late 90's. Okay nothing to see here move along. Apple is up next.

c. haynes
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 3, 2014, 12:03 PM

I wonder if the Edge Menu gets cracked on a table edge or something, does it affect the rest of the phone's performance? Looking around here to see who they copied... nothing yet.

coffeetime
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 3, 2014, 12:21 PM

Boring. Only hardware improvement. Software wise, they are at the mercy of Google Android.

pairof9s
Senior User
Sep 3, 2014, 03:32 PM

I'm with coffeetime...where's the software, the UI, the workflow?!

At some point, you have to question how much one really gains with a 5.7" 2500x1440 vs 5.5" 2200x1280, 2.3GHz quad core 3GB RAM vs 1.8GHz quad core 2GB RAM, 16 megapixel vs 12 megapixel. Is this truly how one can or does measure the productivity of their device?

I mean am I really going to say, "I saved 13.5 seconds today with my Note 4 over that old HTC Max!"

Stuke
Forum Regular
Sep 3, 2014, 09:33 PM

See anybody lining up to beat the previous camp-out record days for Apple products, where software, UI, and workflow are built into the device one line's up to get!
--
Stuke

Forum Links
Forum Rules