Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Unable to Send Hotmail

Unable to Send Hotmail
TATungseth
Jun 27, 2000, 08:37 PM

I'm now going on my third day where outgoing Hotmail messages have sat in my outbox and have gone nowhere. I've received incoming Hotmail messages fine -- it's just that the outgoing aren't going.

I haven't changed any settings or anything. Besides, if it was an incorrect setting, I would guess that I wouldn't be able to receive anything.

The true irony is that these messages were supposed to be test messages for my other e-mail account. Which has since come up and runs fine. Good old Microsoft.

Is anyone else having this problem, indicating a server problem, or are there any suggestions?

Thanks.

scott_ells
Jun 28, 2000, 05:51 PM

I have had a simular problem but mine is even more frustrating. When I first instaled Outlook It was working just fine until one day I got that server error mesage. But I can't send or receive E-mail.

I knew it was nothing wrong with my hotmail account because I had the same account on a nother mac and it worked perfectly fine. So I tried to trouble shoot the problem by rebuilding my desktop, zapping the P-RAM, turning off all the extentions except my Mac OS Base set and all of my internet settings, deleting the MS Outlook preferences files in my system folder and deleting all the identity files in the Outlook folder and recreating a new account but nothing worked.

I just got so frustrated that I reinstaled my whole system software and that fixed the problem. But a few days later the problem started again. And I did not install anything new or different. I need help too!

Gramps111
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 28, 2000, 10:10 PM

I have experienced the same thing at times....and several nights ago nothing would go out. I guess we just have to accept the fact that Hotmail accessed thru Outlook Express works MOST of the time...not ALL the time. Never has...and maybe never will. It's just quirky. The problem is with Microsoft rather than our software. When I've had e-mail that couldn't wait until the next day to be sent, I copy the text to the clipboard - access hotmail via their web page...and send it that way. Usually it's OK the next day...

wcaw
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 29, 2000, 02:45 PM

Yeah, I'm having a similar, if not the same problem, too.

When I try to send a message to multiple addresses, Outlook gives me this error message:

ERROR:
A message in your Outbox could not be sent. The server did not recognize the recipients.
EXPLANATION:
<[email protected]>...we do not relay for external hosts.

Error: 5550

Outlook always seems to choke on the outgoing messages to Hotmail.

Any ideas?

TATungseth  (op)
Jun 30, 2000, 05:05 PM

Well, an interesting solution. . . .

I had gone almost a week without being able to send my hotmail mail. Like I've said previously, there was no delay in RECEIVING hotmail, just sending it via OE. So I tried fiddling with settings.

One of the first things I did was change my password. I went online to hotmail.com and changed my password, and then changed it (obviously) in my OE client.

Wallah! All of my backed-up hotmail went immediately! So, those who are still having a problem, you may want to give this a try.

While it worked, I am without an explanation as to why. The problem just started out of the blue. And it makes the fact that I never stopped RECEIVING hotmail e-mail that much more troubling. It does not at all make sense if it was truly a password issue.

But I'm up and running. I'd be curious if this works for anyone else. It's odd.

TimmyDee51
Mac Elite
Jul 10, 2000, 08:16 PM

I am having the same problem here. We just got a new iMac with OE 5.01 installed and Hotmail worked just fine for the first couple of days. Then we ran into problems. Now Hotmail won't send OR receive and I get an error type -3171 on some occasions and on others the program quits, with an occasional error type 2 as the explaination. I've increased the memory and done many other things, but nothing seems to work. Any ideas?

[This message has been edited by TimmyDee51 (edited 07-10-2000).]
Per Square Mile | A blog about density

TATungseth  (op)
Jul 14, 2000, 01:17 AM

Well, here we go again! After a little while of being able to send and receive mail fine, I'm back to square one. Just like when I started to have problems a few weeks back -- I can receive Hotmail e-mail fine through OE 5.02, but it flat-out refuses to send Hotmail. I have adjusted NO settings, nor have I changed my password. Out of the blue -- my outgoing Hotmail e-mail started to pile up.

I have also tried a "force-send" by control-clicking on the status icon, and selecting "send immediately." No response.

And, as I mentioned earlier, OE doesn't give an error message. It just doesn't go. (While OE is more than happy to report errors from my other e-mail servers!)

Is anyone else having this problem -- and has it just started up again?

Microsoft, how about "innovating" a solution here, and getting Hotmail to work via OE?

Forum Links
Forum Rules