Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > What tires are you runnin'?

What tires are you runnin'?
demon's_wood68
Banned
Sep 3, 2001, 03:14 AM

I myself have a set of Falken GSR-Bs on my neon. They're pretty nice. Quiet. Z rated (just in case I could somehow get up to 180mph they could take it), although I think they're rather soft. I've only put about 2-3,000 miles on them, and they're almost done (they were used when I got them).

The tires I >REALLY< love are Falken Ziexes. If you like driving, and you like turning, check them out. They're CHEAP high performance tires. PROs: Cheap, grippy, really cool lookin' CONs: Noisy, bad in the snow.

On my charger I have some Bridgestone Potenzas in front, and the trust BF Goodrich Radial T/As in back.

- Ca$h

PS: Anyone have BF Goodrich G-Forces? I was looking at those. Either that or Kuhmo Ecstsas (sp?).

PPS: If you have some ultra lame ass car like a camry or something don't bother telling me how wonderful your michelins are. >rolls eyes<

[ 09-03-2001: Message edited by: demon's_wood68 ]

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 3, 2001, 12:41 PM

Since I have to drive in snow for like 6 months, Z-rated were out of the question, so I got some H-rated Kelly Sullivan 195/50-15s, about 105$ a peice and they are pretty damn sticky on the tarmac.

But now that I'm getting stock Jetta tires and rims for the winter (even H-rated low-profile tires are **** in snow and ice) I think I may get a nice set of Kumho ECSTA Supra 712s so when summer hits i can do some insane backroad fun

demon's_wood68  (op)
Banned
Sep 3, 2001, 01:07 PM

Dude, seriously check out the Ziex's. I love them.

- Ca$h

PS: The speed rating is actually the temperature rating....and that sorta means how 'thick' the sidewall is. If you purchase tires with a really high speed rating, even if your car can't get up to that speed, you're still blessed with 'right now' handling, just so you know.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 3, 2001, 01:25 PM

225/50/16 ZR's up front, 245/50/16 ZR's out back(sometimes 245/5/16 ZR's, but they're costly)...

I've run all the brands, and recently I've been goin with like Falkens or somethin like that... I just can't afford BFG Comp T/A's or the like..

my friend has the G-Forces on his weekend road racer, and he loooves 'em..
ice

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 3, 2001, 02:22 PM

Originally posted by demon's_wood68:
<STRONG>Dude, seriously check out the Ziex's. I love them.

- Ca$h

PS: The speed rating is actually the temperature rating....and that sorta means how 'thick' the sidewall is. If you purchase tires with a really high speed rating, even if your car can't get up to that speed, you're still blessed with 'right now' handling, just so you know.</STRONG>
Well I'll be damned, still H-rated have a better tread pattern (deeper too) for dealing with slush and snow, while them super-tires you talk about would be like having skis on my car...but they still suck.

Well do you know of a place when I can scope them Ziex's out?

(P.S. I'm sure your top speed is the same as mine so )

Steve
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 3, 2001, 02:58 PM

PPS: If you have some ultra lame ass car like a camry or something don't bother telling me how wonderful your michelins are.
This, coming from a guy that drives a Neon.... fool.

You remind me my wife… why you laugh? She dead. | sasper at gmail dot com

WebOliver
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 3, 2001, 03:00 PM

I have Dunlop 8080 SP on my BMW Z3 3.0. Front 225/17, Rear 245/17

alphamatrix
Senior User
Sep 3, 2001, 03:46 PM

I'm runnin on a pair of Saucony Grid Icons!!!! Ha Ha Ha Ha

[ 09-03-2001: Message edited by: alphamatrix ]

demon's_wood68  (op)
Banned
Sep 3, 2001, 03:53 PM

?]??Y�riginally posted by sek929:
<STRONG>

Well I'll be damned, still H-rated have a better tread pattern (deeper too) for dealing with slush and snow, while them super-tires you talk about would be like having skis on my car...but they still suck.

Well do you know of a place when I can scope them Ziex's out?

(P.S. I'm sure your top speed is the same as mine so )</STRONG>[/QUOTE]

Actually, H or Z or whatever, all of the speed ratings have nothing to do with treat pattern..... but if you'd like to believe that, go right ahead. ;P Head over to your local NTB, they have ziexs... when I had my 14" bbs rims, I picked up a FULL SET of ziexes for about 220 dollars, mounted and balanced. Or you can go to http://www.falkentire.com and scope them out there. They're really a HUGE deal for the amount of (or lack of) cash you have to shell out.

- Ca$h

PS: I'm speed limited at 118 because of my stupid ECU. I might get a new one someday. &gt;shrug&lt;

demon's_wood68  (op)
Banned
Sep 3, 2001, 04:03 PM

Originally posted by speramint0:
<STRONG>

This, coming from a guy that drives a Neon.... fool.

</STRONG>
You're the fool. A neon ACR is capable of over 1 g on the skidpad, and does 0-60 in about 7 seconds, and does the quarter mile (with slicks) in about 15.5, with a record of 15.3. But yeah, I guess they don't have the lethargic cushy ass ride and coma inducing excitement of a camry, so what do I know.

- Ca$h

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 3, 2001, 04:30 PM

Tioga Psycho Inline II tires and Inline 26x2.0 SV tubes. Great for dirt roads.

The Neon is the iMac of the vehicle world, if you ask me. Will it become the Camaro of the next generation? Who knows?

[ 09-03-2001: Message edited by: The Godfather ]

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 3, 2001, 05:31 PM

Nah the VW Beetle is the iMac of this world...Neons are more like the Beige G3s, fast in their own right, but bland.

And yes I understand about the speed rating but lower rating tires are usually for all weather conditons since their design warrants a lower top speed rating and high Z-rated tires are for nice dry pavement but hit some slush and it all over due to the tread and tire design.

BTW Ca$h, what the hell is NTB?

[ 09-03-2001: Message edited by: sek929 ]

pscates
Sep 3, 2001, 06:40 PM

I've got the Firestone XLShredder series: 26R15. They rock and they've only come off and disentegrated on the freeway three times! A fine tire. I'd recommend them to anyone...especially people I don't like to much to begin with.

But as usual, the ***** media goes and makes a big thing out of it.

MikeM32
Banned
Location: &quot;Joisey&quot; Home of the &quot;Guido&quot; and chicks with &quot;Big Hair&quot;
Sep 3, 2001, 07:30 PM

@#!@#$!!!!! Damn double post

[ 09-03-2001: Message edited by: MikeM32 ]

MikeM32
Banned
Location: &quot;Joisey&quot; Home of the &quot;Guido&quot; and chicks with &quot;Big Hair&quot;
Sep 3, 2001, 07:32 PM

Reebok walking shoes with some sort of "Air Cushions" in the soles (don't know t6he specific name, got 'em on sale at The Sports Authority). Very easy "ride"

Well whaddya want?!? I don't drive a car

Mike

demon's_wood68  (op)
Banned
Sep 3, 2001, 09:19 PM

Originally posted by The Godfather:
<STRONG>Tioga Psycho Inline II tires and Inline 26x2.0 SV tubes. Great for dirt roads.

The Neon is the iMac of the vehicle world, if you ask me. Will it become the Camaro of the next generation? Who knows?

[ 09-03-2001: Message edited by: The Godfather ]</STRONG>
For once I agree with a neon comment. Why?

Think about it. A neon says "Hi", and iMac says "Hello". Apple is "Think different" while Dodge is "different". Plus they both look cute. And both of mine are modded.

- Ca$h

demon's_wood68  (op)
Banned
Sep 3, 2001, 09:25 PM

Originally posted by sek929:
<STRONG>Nah the VW Beetle is the iMac of this world...Neons are more like the Beige G3s, fast in their own right, but bland.

And yes I understand about the speed rating but lower rating tires are usually for all weather conditons since their design warrants a lower top speed rating and high Z-rated tires are for nice dry pavement but hit some slush and it all over due to the tread and tire design.

BTW Ca$h, what the hell is NTB?

[ 09-03-2001: Message edited by: sek929 ]</STRONG>
Bland? Thats what bodykits, exhausts, rims, projector lights, custom side lighting, new tailights, new side mirrors, and god know what other accessories you can get for them are for. In stock form, somewhat bland, yeah, sorta, although R/Ts look pretty neat. But think positive. Think along the lines of 'empty canvas', and you can add just the pieces you want, creating a truely unique car.

BTW, NTB = National Tire and Battery, a tire store thats all over the country. Never heard of it?

- Ca$h

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 3, 2001, 09:41 PM

Originally posted by demon's_wood68:
<STRONG>

Bland? Thats what bodykits, exhausts, rims, projector lights, custom side lighting, new tailights, new side mirrors, and god know what other accessories you can get for them are for. In stock form, somewhat bland, yeah, sorta, although R/Ts look pretty neat. But think positive. Think along the lines of 'empty canvas', and you can add just the pieces you want, creating a truely unique car.

BTW, NTB = National Tire and Battery, a tire store thats all over the country. Never heard of it?

- Ca$h</STRONG>
Nah never heard of it.

And we are talking stock here Ca$h, stock Vee-dubs look way better than anything Dodge has (sans the Viper). And you can do the same to a Bug as well, stick a bunch of plastic on it and I'm sure it'll look cooler too.

demon's_wood68  (op)
Banned
Sep 3, 2001, 10:01 PM

Sorta. 80s and early 90s VWs look kinda lame. R/Ts and ACRs look neat. And...well...you can just get more stuff for neons. Mainly because they're so popular and cheap, that there's a bigger aftermarket. Right now I'm kinda itching to buy new side mirrors with indiglo turn signals built in them and a solar blue mirror. Hehe. I dunno.

- Ca$h

Forum Links
Forum Rules