Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Help! rev B 17" froze, now it's hot!

Help! rev B 17" froze, now it's hot!
Nelsun
Nov 12, 2003, 12:59 PM

I recently posted that my new rev B 17" Powerbook was experiencing unexpected freezes while using various software, from Mail to Safari to my CAD application, Vellum.

The machine is factory stock and using OSX 10.2.6. I have an extra 512mb RAM chip that I had not installed yet. The overwhelming response here was to pull the factory installed RAM and put in the RAM chip I had bought. The reason was that freezing or locking up is usually caused by RAM issues. (I thought it might have to do with how hot the machine was getting as the fan came on one time as it froze) I did switch the RAM, and the machine still froze, within 5 minutes of installing the other RAM chip. And the machine was pretty cool.

So I then removed the new chip, put back the original chip and then put the new chip in the second slot, bringing the total RAM up to 1024mb. I then ran the machine doing simple e-mail and Safari surfing with no freezes!

I then ran the machine for most of the day yesterday using my demanding CAD application and it worked all afternoon without a freeze! Perhaps the additional RAM is helping this machine, or the removal and replacement of the RAM better seated it. Who knows, almost black magic sometimes.

However, since this is the first real use if the machine since I bought it, (Because it would freeze so much before) I was surprised particularly when I would ask the CAD software to do some intensive mathimatical calculations for raytrace rendering tasks in the CAD software, the PB's fan would come on a lot. It was cycling on and off all afternoon. I found that a bit alarming. This is not my first Powerbook, I have a last gen G3 PB and I never heard it's fan running when using the same software. Or I don't think I did! I should add that I was using the power adaptor all afternoon too. Seems to run hotter with the power adpator connected.

Is it normal for this to occurr for those of you who also have rev B 17" PB's? Am I just pushing the processor hard to call on the fan to come on? I've read conflicting reports here that some of you have experienced cooler running PB's after installing OS 10.3, while others experienced more heat. I'm waiting for OS 10.3.1 or 2 before I jump there. NOt sure if going to OS 10.2.8 will help me either.

I'll install some temperature measuring software to track it with and without the AC adaptor and during intensive CPU functions to see if there is a correlation. Recommend one?

I would appreciate any insight on this issue. Thanks!

Nelson

spalding12
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 12, 2003, 01:25 PM

CAD software eats RAM
don't run the rev. b powerbook with less than and extra 512mb chip, especially if you are doing CAD work

mine gets very hot
i run jaguar (10.2.7)
have NOT updated to panther yet
may or may NOT do so
but see my thread above
about the computer locking up at sleep and heating up to the temperature of fire. the other day i don't know how long it had been that way... it's only happened twice. i'm afraid that if i left it for 1.5 days and it was that way the whole time that it would completely destroy the computer.... so hot and the fan running all tha time.... but i don't know for sure

not sure about that one either

greg
Enjoy the ride... not just the destination

Nelsun  (op)
Nov 12, 2003, 02:48 PM

Oh-oh, my 17" went to sleep while on battery power when I took a phone call. Came back opened the screen and I got the black screen as reported by others. I had to do a keyboard restart.

Thanks for your insights Greg, I'll look at your post. May have to send this baby into Apple to check it out if this keeps up.

Nelson

Mister Elf
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 12, 2003, 05:49 PM

If i bought a 3000 $ laptop, I'd expect it to work no matter what.
Midshipman 3/C, USNR

spalding12
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 12, 2003, 09:59 PM

i love my powerbook and i have much less trouble with it than either of my remaining desktop pc's.

i'll still take it with all its quirks...

greg
Enjoy the ride... not just the destination

Forum Links
Forum Rules