Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > 4G iPod cases from Apple

4G iPod cases from Apple
Nelsun
Aug 22, 2004, 02:08 PM

I bought a new 40gb 4G iPod a few weeks back and the Apple branded case that used to be included with the 3G iPod.

What I didn't check on was that the box said it was for the 20gb iPod with click wheel. So I took it back yesterday to the Apple Store to exchange for a 40gb iPod case with click wheel. The sales clerk felt it didn't matter and opened the still sealed box to show me on a 40gb iPod. It did fit, but I wasn't convinced as it looked tight. The reason I wanted to take it back was that I thought according to the Apple site, there are two caes, one for the 20gb and one for the thicker 40gb iPod. All I found at the store were two type of boxes for cases: ones labeled for 20gb iPod with click wheel and the other box didn't say anything of the sort.

He did let me return it, no problem. But is there a separate case for each iPod? Maybe this store in Burlingame, California didn't have the 40gb case in stock and the employees don't know the difference. I'll ponder 3rd party cases too, but I like the little black bag that comes with the case.

Thanks, Nelson

Parky
Mac Elite
Aug 23, 2004, 08:09 AM

A quick look at the Apple Store tells me that there are 2 models.

If you have a look you will see that it specifically states that they are for the 20GB and the 40GB and that they are not suitable for any other size.

M9603G/A - is for the 20GB only
M9129G/A - is for the 40GB only

So you need to order a 40GB case from the Appe Store or find one on sale somewhere.

Ian
Computers - Au MacBook 2.4Ghz, iMac 24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo
iPods - 5GB original iPod, 4GB nano - Red, 1GB 2G shuffle - Silver, 4GB 3G Shuffle - Black, 16GB touch, 16GB nano Red, 16GB iPhone 3G.
OSX User Since Public Beta, current OS 10.6.1, iTS UK purchases - 5377 songs.... and growing!
My website - www.idparkinson.co.uk

Nelsun  (op)
Aug 23, 2004, 10:46 AM

Thanks Parky-I knew there was a difference! But I didn't think to look up part numbers. I'll use the number to find one.

Nelsun

cold aspiration
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 23, 2004, 05:44 PM

i thought those cases were stretch fit, one size fits all?

Parky
Mac Elite
Aug 23, 2004, 05:48 PM

The stretch is just to make them a snug fit.

It would be very tight if you put a 40GB in a 20GB case.

The tag inside the case already marks the back of the iPod when you slide it in and out.

Read the Apple Store site they are very specific about the cases, they even put it in RED.

Ian
Computers - Au MacBook 2.4Ghz, iMac 24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo
iPods - 5GB original iPod, 4GB nano - Red, 1GB 2G shuffle - Silver, 4GB 3G Shuffle - Black, 16GB touch, 16GB nano Red, 16GB iPhone 3G.
OSX User Since Public Beta, current OS 10.6.1, iTS UK purchases - 5377 songs.... and growing!
My website - www.idparkinson.co.uk

Forum Links
Forum Rules