Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Any UK user fancy swapping their G4 PB for my new MPB?

Any UK user fancy swapping their G4 PB for my new MPB?
Andrew Stephens
Mac Elite
Dec 7, 2006, 07:00 AM

No seriously

I now have a lovely shiny 2.1 Ghz C2D MPB. It's great apart from one minor problem. It won't run Illustrator. Found out too late that Illustrator CS (and 10) have major compatability issues with Rosetta. Obvioulsy this renders my new MBP unusable as a work machine and I can't wait for Adobe to Intel up CS some time next year.

So in order to get on with some actual work I'm looking for someone who wants to upgrade to an Intel MPB from a fairly new G4 laptop.

Any takers? MPB is two weeks old and totally unmarked, It's just this damn unfixable CS2 issue that means I can't keep it.

WOPR
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 7, 2006, 07:23 AM

Creative Suite 1 runs flawlessly on my Core 2 Duo iMac, have you tried that version?

 iMac Core 2 Duo 17" 2ghz 3gb/250gb ||  iBook G4 12" 1.33ghz 1gb/40gb

Naplander
Senior User
Dec 7, 2006, 07:27 AM

I have a 1.5Ghz pb g4 , 1.25 GB RAM if you are interested.

PM me if you are
KEEPING THE PEACE - WITH FORCE

Andrew Stephens  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 7, 2006, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by WOPR View Post
Creative Suite 1 runs flawlessly on my Core 2 Duo iMac, have you tried that version?
Sorry my bad, I'm actually running CS. I had exactly the same problem while using a new Intel Mac Mini too!

capemcm
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 7, 2006, 11:25 AM

I have a G4 1.5Ghz with 1.5GB ram. Would be happy to do the trade. I live and work (Covent Garden) in London. Come back to me asap if you are still interested.
( Last edited by capemcm; Dec 7, 2006 at 11:31 AM. Reason: typo)

solofx7
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2006, 10:38 AM

hmm... this is odd.
i am running CS2 w/no issues. it is very fast.

fire3500
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 8, 2006, 12:07 PM

I would be interested in this.

I have a PBG4 1.67Ghz / 80Gb / 1Gb RAM / DL-SD, basically the last and highest spec' PowerBook 15". It was bought new in July and as such is in great condition. This also benefits from the HR screen, but I guess that you know that already.

drop me an email at ian dot cleary at gmail dot com if you're interested. I'd really like to upgrade to a MBP but at the moment this PB is so new that I can't justify it.

Cheers
/ic

EDIT - I work in South Kensington in London so if you fancy grabbing a coffee and checking it out then that's cool. Also I run CS2 on this machine and it runs great. I don't do this for a living though and so could live under Rosetta without excess pain.

pjosborne
Dec 8, 2006, 02:21 PM

Hmmm, weird. I'm running Illustrator CS (11.0) without a hitch on a new C2D MBP (2.16GHz). The bugger of it is that I understand Adobe offer zero tech support when it comes to Rosetta. Could it be a corrupt font issue? Does it run with just the standard fonts? Did you use the migration assistant? If so, might be worth an install from the original CS discs before giving up.

Not that I want to ruin anyone's chance of a free upgrade, but thought you should know it works for me.
Peter Osborne
Small Fry Web Hosting

solofx7
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2006, 03:07 PM

i would format reload.
something is wonky there.
all abobe programs are working well for me.
also think about a full update on the software update of the mac...

tintin220
Dec 10, 2006, 12:30 AM

I don't live in the UK (across the atlantic in the states), but I'd be willing to trade (and pay ALL shipping costs for both of us).
My PowerBook G4 is the lastest version, with 1.67GHz G4, 1.5 GB DDR2 RAM, DL-SD, 80GB HD, etc. (bought in January this year) and I can probably throw in a couple other upgrades and get AppleCare.

Of course, I don't want to rip you off and if there is a software solution for you, I'd rather you try that and hope it works before doing the swap with anyone.

I would recommend that you first try to do all and any software updates, and if its not too much trouble, back up your files and even try to reinstalling the OS. As pjosborne suggested, it could be due to an error when moving files over and if this is the case, the reinstall should solve the issue.

Best of luck with fixing this and I hope it works out for you so that you don't have to trade (even though it would benefit me).
♥ PowerBook G4 1.67 15" / Silver 2G iPod Nano

Forum Links
Forum Rules