Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer

Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer
smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2007, 03:36 AM

Trailer

Even you guys who hated the first FF movie have to admit…Silver Surfer and Galactus…gotta be cool. Especially since they got the FF origins out of the way already.

I may have to shell out the bucks to go see this one in the theater.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

Miniryu
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2007, 05:26 AM

Yes. This looks amazing. I've always thought Norin and his master were enough of a story to warrent an entire movie on their own, but then Marvel would be forced to introduce yet another new property, and you have to admit that they have a ton of their characters who own their own movie franchises.

"Sing it again, rookie beyach."
My website

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2007, 08:14 AM

I never saw the first flick simply because I can't imagine suspending reality enough to accept who they cast for the roles. Yes, Alba is hawt beyond belief, but she's no Mrs. Fantastic.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2007, 09:08 AM

Alba definitely stuck out, but everyone else seemed well suited... though for some reason the guy who played Mr. Fantastic got on my nerves.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jan 10, 2007, 10:04 AM

Nice. The Silver Surfer. I own FF #50 which is a great book. It's still in good shape, too. I can't wait to see this.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Cipher13
Jan 10, 2007, 10:13 AM

Alba's in it, so it'll sell.

Works for me.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2007, 11:36 AM

The first one wasn't BAD just sorta meh to me. This one looks pretty good so far though.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

tboparis
Jan 10, 2007, 12:20 PM

The trailer looks OK but the first one was horrible so I'm not sure about that one.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2007, 01:10 PM

The Fantastic Four was perhaps the worst movie I've seen in the past four years.

They've kept the same director as the first one. I'm sure it will also be stunningly bad like part one.

Count me out. I've got better things to do, like post on here.

greg
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

G Barnett
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 10, 2007, 01:27 PM

The way I'd looked at it, the first one qualified as "a really good made-for-TV" movie, but really didn't rate on the big screen. Got somewhat higher hopes for this one. I'll probably see it, as I do have a 9-year-old son....

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Jan 10, 2007, 01:34 PM

i must be the only person in the world who didn't read comic books; can't say i've seen or been interested in any of them when they come out. i did see an x-men movie though. eh, whatever.

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2007, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet View Post
The first one wasn't BAD just sorta meh to me. This one looks pretty good so far though.
Agree & agree
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Miniryu
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2007, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by residentEvil View Post
i must be the only person in the world who didn't read comic books; can't say i've seen or been interested in any of them when they come out. i did see an x-men movie though. eh, whatever.
Well, you need to start reading comic books, my friend. Its exciting to see your favorite characters on the big screen, but nothing is greater than reading the original stories on paper like they were intended to be experience.

You know how most books are not done justice by the movie? Well most comic books are the same way.

And Alba sucks as Sue Storm. I could see her making a good Alica Masters, though.

My website

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 10, 2007, 06:33 PM

Silver Surfer was a good guy, right? So, he's just a tough guy making his first stop into town(in this trailer)?

Or he was a bad guy, depositing Johnny Flame into space.

Please clarify, then I will respond with "Silver Surfer was my favorite action figure ever. Next to Snake Eyes."
ice

G Barnett
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 10, 2007, 06:36 PM

File him in the "Conflicted-servant-of-a-Major-Bad-Guy who has a change of heart after meeting Our Heroes" category.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2007, 06:39 PM

SS was neither good nor bad. Norrin's main purpose was to serve Galactus as he looked for new worlds to rule over, but he betrayed him when he met the FF. Check out Marvel's bio of Norrin here:

Silver Surfer - Marvel Universe: The definitive online source for Marvel super hero bios.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

G Barnett
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 10, 2007, 06:59 PM

"Rule over?" That a new way of phrasing "Consume in their entirety to sate his endless cosmic hunger?"

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2007, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by IceEnclosure View Post
"Silver Surfer was my favorite action figure ever. Next to Snake Eyes."
I think it goes without saying that Snake Eyes was everyone's favorite action figure. He is in fact, the greatest fictional character ever created.

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Jan 10, 2007, 08:04 PM

well, if you count transformers as action figures; then i bet those where most peoples favorite action figures*. soundwave and his cassettes where the best!

*depending on when you were born, obviously.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2007, 10:15 PM

I had the glow-in-the-dark Scare Glow, the evil ghost of Skeletor.

I win.

greg

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 10, 2007, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar² View Post
Alba definitely stuck out, but everyone else seemed well suited... though for some reason the guy who played Mr. Fantastic got on my nerves.
Jessica Alba was the only thing that made that movie watchable. It was like, "Shitty dialogue and cardboard characters, unexciting action and cardboard characters — hey, Alba in her underwear, nice! — oh, back to forced drama and crap dialogue."

I expected more from Julian McMahon, but he sucked too, unfortunately. And if a man who could be entertaining on Charmed isn't able to save your movie, you've got troubles.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 10, 2007, 10:35 PM

I had soundwave and his cassettes, all that. But Snake Eyes was sick. I think I had a few of them, I remember using some for recon. Occasionally they wouldn't come back.
ice

starman
Clinically Insane
Jan 11, 2007, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by DeathMan View Post
I think it goes without saying that Snake Eyes was everyone's favorite action figure. He is in fact, the greatest fictional character ever created.
Who?

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 11, 2007, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
Jessica Alba was the only thing that made that movie watchable. It was like, "Shitty dialogue and cardboard characters, unexciting action and cardboard characters — hey, Alba in her underwear, nice! — oh, back to forced drama and crap dialogue."

I expected more from Julian McMahon, but he sucked too, unfortunately. And if a man who could be entertaining on Charmed isn't able to save your movie, you've got troubles.
Well, I'm going only by my memory, and I saw it in the theatres. The dude from Not Another Teen Movie was entertaining in a very generic way, but it did feel like they underutilized Chiklis.

Edit: Oh yes, I vote for Thunderpunch He-Man or Optimus Prime

lavar78
Professional Poster
Jan 13, 2007, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
Who?
He's a character from G.I. Joe.

Plenty of Transformers were better.
( Last edited by lavar78; Jan 13, 2007 at 08:19 AM. )

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 13, 2007, 03:02 PM

Transformers were the best toys hands-down.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Miniryu
Mac Elite
Jan 13, 2007, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post

What about Chris Evans as Jonny Storm!! He was awesome! My favorite line from the movie was when the nurse takes his temperature and says to him, "you're hot". To which he quickly and cooly replies, "thank you, so are you".
Twice I've used this line (when given the opportunity) and both times I caught the girl off guard/made them blush.

The crappy part is that no one cared for the Thing- in the comics he's typically the most popular character (and easily has the most unique design). He looked crappy without his trademark brow.

Oh, and favorite action figure? Six Shot... I still have him.

My website

Salty
Professional Poster
Jan 13, 2007, 06:38 PM

I didn't mind the first movie but it seemed more like an episode of a TV show that was really long. No characters were really well developed. The writing was pretty poor.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 13, 2007, 06:46 PM

No seriously, Scare Glow rules all. And he glowed in the dark!

In other news, I just found one on eBay for a hundred bucks. What?! I'm pretty sure I beat up my little brother for tearing the arm off mine.

greg

Salty
Professional Poster
Jan 13, 2007, 06:50 PM

Oh and for the record, the guy who played Jonny Storm was HOT!

lavar78
Professional Poster
Jan 13, 2007, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by Salty View Post
Oh and for the record, the guy who played Jonny Storm was HOT!
Well, he is the Human Torch.

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

Forum Links
Forum Rules