Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > How do you like the new design of the iMac? Is it more professional?

How do you like the new design of the iMac? Is it more professional?
Veltliner
Mac Elite
Aug 8, 2007, 11:50 AM

Do you think the iMac looks more professional now, as Apple says it does?

http://www.apple.com/imac/design.html

How do you like the black framing of the screen? It is definitely better for any kind of image work, as the frame doesn't distract as much as a white frame.

I just haven't yet decided if I am able to like it (my first reaction was a slight shock). Have to go to an Apple store.

New versions of designs you like are always a bit hard to swallow. First impression: that's not a design of great simpleness, and the frame around the screen looks a bit like those masks Walt Disney's Beagle Boys wear.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 8, 2007, 11:56 AM

Honestly, the more I look at it the less I like it. But it's definitely not horrible.

I need to see it in person. I'm glad to see the white go, but I'm still not sold.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Aug 8, 2007, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by Veltliner View Post
the frame around the screen looks a bit like those masks Walt Disney's Beagle Boys wear.
well, that made me laugh.

seriously, how can this be a more 'professional' mac with a consumer-oriented glossy screen?

grrrrrr....
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

Daracle
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 8, 2007, 12:17 PM

And not even a choice to have a glossy screen or not.

But I do like the design, I don't know about how "professional" it looks. I think it looks fantastic and I an even happy that the keyboard is designed to look good with the new iMac AND the old...I see me getting one soon.

Now about that mouse.
Who reads this???

Veltliner  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 8, 2007, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by fisherKing View Post

seriously, how can this be a more 'professional' mac with a consumer-oriented glossy screen?

grrrrrr....
Now that I read your post on the other thread about the problems of glossy screens for serious users, I can only second to that.

Looks like there is a rift widening between the pro and the soso. The iMac seems to become more of a "lifestyle" computer. But maybe they give us a matte option. I definitely will wait for that.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Aug 8, 2007, 12:27 PM

the whole 'glossy vs matte' thing is an ENDLESS argument (see the macbook pro threads on this).

but, just as they do on the mpb's, apple should give us a choice. not everyone wants an imac just to watch dvds (and ooh and ahh...)!
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Aug 8, 2007, 05:32 PM

Well, when the G5 towers came out, I thought they looked like ugly, cheesegrater boxes, considering I was used to the rounded plastic of the G4 towers.

Currently though, after having them around for a few years, and seeing them in professional workplaces, I think they're gorgeous machines - very classy.

So sure, the black border is quite shocking to first see, but I doubt anybody will complain about it after a few months.

Veltliner  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2007, 01:06 AM

I went to the apple store today to see if the new iMacs were really so ugly like they looked on the photos.

They are.

I liked the white iMac for its being like a computer sculpture, very simple lines, a clear statement.

The black frame, oval around the screen, has no connection with the lower part, the aluminum part.

I had expected the new iMacs to be either aluminum or completely black, or both (to choose from). Black would have been good for a pro machine, as it has less reflections than the white material. And it would really look "stealth".

No way I'm putting this piece of mediocre design into my home.

No "Beagle Boy" iMac with that black frame.

(and for those who say: "it's only a computer, and not furniture": I don't want to see your furniture.)

The fact it is a computer does not mean it has to be ugly. Design is here to add beauty to our practical world.

AC Rempt
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 11, 2007, 01:32 AM

I liked the design well enough seeing it online, but I really liked it in person. The brushed aluminum is impressive, and the glossy screen was fine, even in the glare of the store lights. I looked at the 24", by the way. The store was busy, so I couldn't get to a 20" to compare.

I advise people on the fence to see it in person. Of course, some people won't like it, but beauty in the eye of the blah blah blah.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Aug 11, 2007, 01:35 AM

I prefer the white, but I'll have to see the iMac in person before I render final judgement. I'm surprised they went with black on the back though. I thought/hoped they'd go completely aluminum, and I too am less than enamoured with the black border and the idea of a glossy screen.

I'm just glad I got the 7600 GT white iMac when I did.

Originally Posted by slpdLoad View Post
Well, when the G5 towers came out, I thought they looked like ugly, cheesegrater boxes, considering I was used to the rounded plastic of the G4 towers.

Currently though, after having them around for a few years, and seeing them in professional workplaces, I think they're gorgeous machines - very classy.
Ironically, when the G5 towers came out I thought they looked pretty good, but now I think they look dated.

Commodus
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2007, 03:12 AM

I've got one side by side with the old iMac it's replacing - the new metal look is more professional, and it gets rid of some of the chin (if just visually) to boot.
24-inch iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz

vtgts500kw
Aug 11, 2007, 03:14 AM

professional in which sense?

professional in a design agency sense? or a corporate office?

because i think they have gone in this design direction to target and appeal more to the corporate side of things, where a big white screen looked out of place, whereas in a design studio, the white worked and it doesnt really matter.

mavherzog
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 11, 2007, 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by Veltliner
I liked the white iMac for its being like a computer sculpture, very simple lines, a clear statement.
Well then, you're in luck. They'll likely start hitting the refurbished section in full force soon.

Veltliner  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2007, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by mavherzog View Post
Well then, you're in luck. They'll likely start hitting the refurbished section in full force soon.
Not sure if I buy another iMac. Not being able to upgrade it is a pain in the * (asterisk).

Exception: the latest gen 24" iMac.

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Aug 12, 2007, 08:55 PM

This is Apple's new design direction.

Watch as the rest of their line slowly evolves into this style. (It started with the iPhone. It'll probably make it into the iPods and MacBook's next. If not also the MBP's.)

Metal and glass is awesome. But I will say I was too used to the white look. We'll have to see how it goes in time.

Veltliner  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 12, 2007, 10:33 PM

Metal and glass IS a great combination...

...but not the way it's done in the new iMac. Have you looked the awkward way the oval black frame fails to connect to the aluminum lower part? That little aluminum wave going up right and left? That's bad design, and makes me think of the days when Macs looked just like PCs, shocking beige, and without an elegant form.

Solution:

Apple could offer the same machine in different styles.

Simple and clean black, aluminum, and white design as an alternative to the black mask Beagle Boy glossy screen screaming ugly middle of the road-iMacDonalds.
( Last edited by Veltliner; Aug 12, 2007 at 10:40 PM. )

ApeInTheShell
Senior User
Aug 12, 2007, 10:54 PM

"From the creators of the iPhone.."

rubaiyat
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 13, 2007, 01:01 AM

I can't see the problem, if you can't read (let alone comprehend) what does it matter if you can't read the screen?

As a professional I like to have something shiny, new and with a big front end sitting on the corner of my desk.

Just like my secretary!
I look forward to a future where the present will be in the past.

Veltliner  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 14, 2007, 02:26 AM

Originally Posted by rubaiyat View Post
Just like my secretary!
At least you have a well designed secretary. That's great.

Forum Links
Forum Rules