Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Printer Sharing, Mac OS X, Mac OS 9

Printer Sharing, Mac OS X, Mac OS 9
slider
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2003, 02:34 PM

Plugging the printer into a computer and not the USB printing port on the AEBS.

I am researching this for a friend of mine and I have done a search, nothing I found was specfic to my question.

Some question. First, will the host computer need to be running Mac OS X? Can the host computer be running OS 9? How do you print from a computer running OS 9 to a computer hosting a printer and running OSX? And vis-versa if possible? I think the best way for her to go is to do a clean install of OS X on her Aged 350 G3 blue and white and have the printer plugged into that. She has a new PowerBook 867 running Jaguar, and an old 300 Mhz iBook which will run a clean install of OS 9.2.2 that also needs to be albe to and print.

For the later set up, what are the settings on the old PowerMac, Sharing>USB print sharing, and Sharing>Firewall>USB print share with OS 9?

Any specific you could give me would be great, I don't want to let her down be telling her she can do something, for her to buy the AEBS and then it not work. Thanks.

slider  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 24, 2003, 04:45 PM

So I have looked around again and did a search on VersionTracker and have come to the conclusion that this can't be done, is this correct? I am really surprised no one as written a driver so that OS 9 and share printer connected to either the AEBS or a computer running OS X. Personally I am all over X, but some people can really only run OS 9 well, ie, the 300Mhz iBook. Just really surprises me.

Forum Links
Forum Rules