Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Upcoming Marvel films/TV Shows

Upcoming Marvel films/TV Shows (Page 2)
Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
May 4, 2015, 09:52 PM

Daredevil > AoU, and I really liked AoU (it's better than the first, IMO). Daredevil may have the best fight sequences I've ever seen.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
May 4, 2015, 09:59 PM

Guide to watching AoU (and getting the most out of it), in this order:

Have passing familiarity with the Avengers comic (bonus if you've read Iron Man series and Infinity Gauntlet mini-series)
Watch all previous MCU films
Watch Agents of Shield series
Watch Agent Carter series
Watch first Avengers again
Watch last week's Agents of Shield before leaving for the theater

Simple, really...

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 4, 2015, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
Lol. What were the numbers?

Avengers 2 - $631M this weekend worldwide.

Over. Half. A. Billion. Dollars.

$191M domestic vs. $80M domestic for the first film.

You're off your rocker if you think attendance is slowing down.
Re-read my post. I predicted an eventual fall-off. This gravy train isn't going to last forever. They're over-saturating the market.

Also, just glancing over some of the posts...

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 4, 2015, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants View Post
Guide to watching AoU (and getting the most out of it), in this order:

Have passing familiarity with the Avengers comic (bonus if you've read Iron Man series and Infinity Gauntlet mini-series)
Watch all previous MCU films
Watch Agents of Shield series
Watch Agent Carter series
Watch first Avengers again
Watch last week's Agents of Shield before leaving for the theater

Simple, really...

I'm going to get blasted for this, I'm sure, but...

I'm a lifelong nerd. I grew up watching Star Trek and Star Wars, playing video games (before it was cool), and reading comics. I personally gravitated toward Batman, The Punisher, and Spider-Man, but I generally enjoy all things geeky.

I like the actors involved in the current string of Marvel movies. I enjoyed Thor, The Winter Soldier, Iron Man, I didn't enjoy the second Iron Man, third Iron Man, first Captain America, the second Thor, orThe Incredible Hulk. The quality has been all over the place.

Which leads me to this: I didn't love The Avengers (the first one). Everyone ranted and raved about it, and claimed it was just as good, if not better, than The Dark Knight or Dark Knight Rises. I watched it, and even enjoyed it, but IMHO, it was quite a bit overrated. This is just one guy's take.

I say that to make it clear that my own bias might be getting in the way, but as we've seen time and time again, movie franchises usually don't get better as they go along. They usually peak with the first or second installment, then gradually (or rapidly) turn into a steaming pile of crap that is milked for every penny it's worth until they've destroyed the value of the franchise. This many Marvel movies is eventually bad for the brand, and I'm going to be resurrecting this thread from the dead to gloat about it in 2018.

starman
Clinically Insane
May 4, 2015, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
Re-read my post. I predicted an eventual fall-off. This gravy train isn't going to last forever. They're over-saturating the market.

Also, just glancing over some of the posts...

Not sure if you're trolling or not. The Avengers have been around since 1963. There's not going to be any falloff.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

starman
Clinically Insane
May 4, 2015, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post

I'm going to get blasted for this, I'm sure, but...

I'm a lifelong nerd. I grew up watching Star Trek and Star Wars, playing video games (before it was cool), and reading comics. I personally gravitated toward Batman, The Punisher, and Spider-Man, but I generally enjoy all things geeky.

I like the actors involved in the current string of Marvel movies. I enjoyed Thor, The Winter Soldier, Iron Man, I didn't enjoy the second Iron Man, third Iron Man, first Captain America, the second Thor, orThe Incredible Hulk. The quality has been all over the place.

Which leads me to this: I didn't love The Avengers (the first one). Everyone ranted and raved about it, and claimed it was just as good, if not better, than The Dark Knight or Dark Knight Rises. I watched it, and even enjoyed it, but IMHO, it was quite a bit overrated. This is just one guy's take.

I say that to make it clear that my own bias might be getting in the way, but as we've seen time and time again, movie franchises usually don't get better as they go along. They usually peak with the first or second installment, then gradually (or rapidly) turn into a steaming pile of crap that is milked for every penny it's worth until they've destroyed the value of the franchise. This many Marvel movies is eventually bad for the brand, and I'm going to be resurrecting this thread from the dead to gloat about it in 2018.
And here we are on movie #11.

If Guardians didn't clue you into how well things are going, I don't know what will.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 5, 2015, 12:17 AM

Not sure if you're trolling or not. The Avengers have been around since 1963. There's not going to be any falloff.
So it only took 49 years for the first Avengers movie of merit to appear.

Here's the thing: success in the world of comics does not necessarily mean success in the realm of the general public. It's one thing to be a popular comic series; it's another to be a popular movie franchise.

Again, my issue isn't really with the quality of the movies at present. My issue is that Hollywood has a horrible track record of beating people to death with a franchise until they begin to hate it. I don't want them to stop making Marvel movies. I want them to not make too many of them too quickly.

You're wrapped up in how things are going right now. I'm focusing on Holllywood's predictable lack of moderation or responsible foresight.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
May 5, 2015, 04:01 AM

Pacing is tricky. If you leave it too long, interest might fall off before the next movie. The X-Files (first one) is a great example of a movie that was (years) too late.

I think over-saturation is a problem that can be circumvented with quality. What will likely do for the current series in the end is the actors getting bored. Or old. Joss too.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
May 5, 2015, 10:19 AM

I thought Age of Ultron was a bit of a mess. It felt like 2 or 3 movies mushed into a single movie.

Not anywhere close to being bad, but somewhere in the middle of the Marvel movies in quality level.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 5, 2015, 04:10 PM

You know, with this discussion, it does occur to me that I was severely underwhelmed during Avengers; Loki just didn't impress me as a Big Bad. Oh boy, the god of lying. Of course, I hadn't seen the Thor films.

Thinking about it, my favorite thus far is the one that kicked the MCU off, Iron Man. That's probably not a good sign. Other than Iron Man there's only two I really liked: Avengers and GotG. I've seen Iron Man 2 and both Captain Americas. Interestingly, even though I know jack shit about Ronin, he did impress me as a Big Bad. Which is why I think knowing source material means jack. I don't know shit about GotG but that was a fun exciting movie.

For no reason, I'll rank the MCU movies I've seen, best to worst:

Iron Man
Guardians of the Galaxy (Despite my hating most 70s music)
The Avengers (Go away, Arrow. I mean Hawkeye. I mean Renner.)
Captan America (by the numbers, solid but average flick)
Iron Man 2 (started good, ended bad)
The Winter Soldier (just awful)

There, more ammo to flog my opinion with, starman. DURR HURR IM DUM BECAUSE WE DONT AGREE

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
May 5, 2015, 04:25 PM

Well, technically Loki is the "Trickster" in the myths, which entails a lot more just lying.

GotG is my 2nd favorite too, right after the first Iron Man. It was just epic in nearly every way. After that they're all kind of lumped together; solid action fare, if not amazingly inventive. Saw AoU again today and I'd put it even with the first, so...

Iron Man - Best of the comics breed
GotG - Epic
Avengers 1 & 2 - Excellent action flicks
Nearly everything else - Good action flicks
Iron Man 2 & Thor: TDW - Meh

They need to just let Gunn and Favreau direct everything else from now on. (Sorry Joss)

PS. The Winter Soldier was better if you'd been watching Agents of Shield.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 5, 2015, 04:31 PM

Well, technically he's the "Trickster" in the myths, which entails a lot more just lying.
I couldn't remember the correct term but yeah.

GotG is my 2nd favorite too, right after the first Iron Man.
Two agreements in one day. Shut the forums down.

They need to just let Gunn and Favreau direct everything else from now on. (Sorry Joss)
I assume Iron Man 2's shittyness is down to studio interference with Favreau. Hence why he didn't direct 3.

PS. The Winter Soldier was better if you'd been watching Agents of Shield.
Oh no no no. My problems are deeper than that. There's suspending disbelief for a comic book film and there's watching a 10 minute shootout in the nation's capital where no police, SS, military, or SHIELD arrive. Then Fury dies and its so predictably staged (and I didn't even know he had the 10 film contract then). Cap's shield looked like it was CG the entire time. And of course, huge existential threat to the country, no one bothers telling any other superheroes.

(Garry Shandling was literally the highlight of the film)

starman
Clinically Insane
May 5, 2015, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
The Winter Soldier (just awful)

There, more ammo to flog my opinion with, starman. DURR HURR IM DUM BECAUSE WE DONT AGREE
90% on Rotten Tomatoes. Gotcha.
(you know nothing, John Snow)

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
May 5, 2015, 05:42 PM

Yeah, Winter Soldier might be the best Marvel movie in my opinion. Yes, it has some problems, but they all have problems. It's always a question of how much the good stuff balances out with the problems to form a complete experience.

At the end of the day though, like most things, this is all subjective and is mostly about how a certain movie can hit just the right notes to appeal to an individual.

For example, while I like Iron Man, I feel like it's really overrated. Take out Robert Downey Jr and put in another actor reading the exact same dialog and this movie would not have been a runaway success. It's really not a very good movie... it just features a really good performance.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
May 5, 2015, 05:46 PM

Here's my expanded take on Age of Ultron...

While I liked this movie, I had a lot of problems with it. It felt so dense and hurried, like they took 2 or 3 movies and mushed them into one dense nugget. I'm not sure what the core story they were trying to tell was. Without much effort, you could have made almost he exact same movie without Vision or Quicksilver or Scarlett Witch. None of them actually were important to the story, which, for the second movie in a row, was practically nonexistent.

This is a weird complaint, but there was too much fighting. Why are we having an action scene here? Oh right, because ACTION! It was all so loud and in your face. Too close up, too much shaky cam and too confusing. Zoom back. Show me what's happening. Give me some stakes. Why are these people fighting now? Is this fight moving the story forward or are we just fighting to have a fight?

What can Ultron do? Why is he scary to these people? He just didn't feel very threatening. I liked Spader's delivery of the lines, and Ultron was pretty funny, but he just wasn't a very compelling villain.

I sound like I'm being harsh and maybe I am... and a lot of these problems also apply to the first movie... but in the first movie this stuff was more novel and new... and the action was much easier to follow and a lot more compelling the first time around... even if it also had no real story to speak of. You could look past it because it was just fun. This movie is also fun, but I think it is slightly less fun and the story is more of a mess.

I'd put it in the middle of the pack of Marvel movies, which isn't a bad place to be, but I was hoping for something more.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
May 5, 2015, 06:39 PM

You know that simply means that 90% of reviewers thought it was mediocre (2.5 out of 5 stars) or better, right?

Pro tip: Never trust the RT aggregate, if you want the whole picture read the reviews themselves.

P
May 5, 2015, 06:54 PM

In theory, yes, but these things tend to be normally distributed.

I enjoyed both Cap movies, the second one more so because of the shift in tone from happy comic book movie in the beginning
to something that felt like a seventies-eighties spy thriller. I also liked many of the acting performances.

Logically it doesn't work that they can keep fighting on multiple helicarriers on live news like that without everyone flying in to interfere - and even if you assume that Hydra could keep the USAF out, where are the other Avengers? It's not like they could miss it if they were in civilized parts of the world. But let's say that Hydra was keeping the regular forces out, Hawkeye was on vacation somewhere with bad cell reception, Stark was sleeping it off or something... it worked fine for the moment, and the endgame fight scenes aren't why I watch these things anyway.

Also note that Iron Man 3 was a big step up from 2.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

starman
Clinically Insane
May 5, 2015, 07:48 PM

You know that simply means that 90% of reviewers thought it was mediocre (2.5 out of 5 stars) or better, right?

Pro tip: Never trust the RT aggregate, if you want the whole picture read the reviews themselves.
Pro tip: have you looked at the actual aggregate?

Average 7.5/10 - which would translate to 3.75/5 stars. That's far above 2.5/5 and not "mediocre". Nice try.

Oh, the fan rating is 92% - 4.3/5.

So again, nice try.

Rumor
May 5, 2015, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
I thought Age of Ultron was a bit of a mess. It felt like 2 or 3 movies mushed into a single movie.

Not anywhere close to being bad, but somewhere in the middle of the Marvel movies in quality level.
From my understanding, about 45 minutes were cut from it.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 6, 2015, 09:06 AM

Wait, I'm dumb because I don't agree with Rotten Tomatoes? Because if that's the case, everyone's dumb.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 6, 2015, 09:13 AM

Yeah, Winter Soldier might be the best Marvel movie in my opinion.
I certainly heard rave things going in, which is part of the reason I was flabbergasted by how plot-stupid it was.

At the end of the day though, like most things, this is all subjective and is mostly about how a certain movie can hit just the right notes to appeal to an individual.
Amen. Doubly so since some of us are comic fans, some fanatics, and some plain laymen.

For example, while I like Iron Man, I feel like it's really overrated. Take out Robert Downey Jr and put in another actor reading the exact same dialog and this movie would not have been a runaway success. It's really not a very good movie... it just features a really good performance.
That's a really weird take. Casting and performance are also integral parts of making a film. Plus, RDJ improvised a lot of his dialogue, so removing him and having someone else read his lines is a bit of a cheat.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
May 6, 2015, 09:43 AM

So, raging feminists and SJWs ran Joss Whedon off Twitter. Wasn't he one of their most powerful white knights? Full McIntosh mode engaged!

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 6, 2015, 09:49 AM

I'm avoiding the discussion until I see the movie this weekend.

andi*pandi
May 6, 2015, 10:07 AM

So, raging feminists and SJWs ran Joss Whedon off Twitter. Wasn't he one of their most powerful white knights? Full McIntosh mode engaged!
He says no, in his Joss way. He similarly withdrew after Avengers1, and did other creative stuff.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/adambvary/jo...eaving-twitter

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
May 6, 2015, 04:43 PM

After 1,000 threats of violence (and >100 death threats) in one day, on Twitter alone, I don't blame him. He's not going to throw out the ideology he's invested his life into over this, but I guarantee he'll never forget, either. During the film, right after the scene in question, my wife looked at me and said, "There will be blood", turns out she was right.

starman
Clinically Insane
May 6, 2015, 05:09 PM

Too bad your wife was wrong. What Nat said was NOT what people are getting riled up about. They COMPLETELY misheard the entire conversation and just focused on the one thing.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
May 6, 2015, 11:20 PM

Too bad your wife was wrong. What Nat said was NOT what people are getting riled up about. They COMPLETELY misheard the entire conversation and just focused on the one thing.
Trolling fail. Where did I say it was what she said, doofus?

My wife wasn't angry about it, she thinks SJWs are idiots (she's extremely liberal, but certainly not a Progressive) but she immediately recognized what would trigger them.
( Last edited by Cap'n Tightpants; May 6, 2015 at 11:32 PM. )

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
May 6, 2015, 11:29 PM

Pro tip: have you looked at the actual aggregate?

Average 7.5/10 - which would translate to 3.75/5 stars. That's far above 2.5/5 and not "mediocre". Nice try.

Oh, the fan rating is 92% - 4.3/5.

So again, nice try.
You mean the aggregate that weighs reviewers who are worth reading and those who are just professional movie trolls equally? Yeah, that's really valuable. Again, since you didn't catch it the first time, "90% of reviewers thought it was mediocre (2.5 out of 5 stars) or better". I never said the avg was 2.5 stars. Being kinda thick, aren't you?

starman
Clinically Insane
May 7, 2015, 12:51 AM

Trolling fail. Where did I say it was what she said, doofus?

My wife wasn't angry about it, she thinks SJWs are idiots (she's extremely liberal, but certainly not a Progressive) but she immediately recognized what would trigger them.
Because it's what EVERYONE is talking about. And btw: you proved I was right.

Also, the "monster" quote is taken way out of context. You proved that also.

As for the trope, SJ was *pregnant* so that was their solution.

The more you know™

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
May 7, 2015, 01:40 AM

Because it's what EVERYONE is talking about. And btw: you proved I was right.

Also, the "monster" quote is taken way out of context. You proved that also.

As for the trope, SJ was *pregnant* so that was their solution.

The more you know™
Speaking of taking things out of context. I didn't say that it bothered me, or my wife ( because neither situation does), she just pointed out that SJWs would erupt over BW's story in the film, because they take nearly everything out of context. The only thing that's been proven is that you're being a dick, as usual.

starman
Clinically Insane
May 7, 2015, 02:35 AM

Speaking of taking things out of context. I didn't say that it bothered me, or my wife ( because neither situation does), she just pointed out that SJWs would erupt over BW's story in the film, because they take nearly everything out of context. The only thing that's been proven is that you're being a dick, as usual.
Where did I say it bothered you? Also, nice name calling. Did you graduate high school yet? Apparently, you failed Reading Comprehension 101.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
May 7, 2015, 03:06 AM

No, see, if I were calling you names I would have said "You're a dick!", but I didn't say that, did I? Sorry about your thin skin?

You said we took it out of context, we didn't, we saw that other people would*, and they did.

(*Speaking of reading comprehension fail...)

starman
Clinically Insane
May 7, 2015, 03:16 AM

No, see, if I were calling you names I would have said "You're a dick!", but I didn't say that, did I? Sorry about your thin skin?

You said we took it out of context, we didn't, we saw that other people would*, and they did.

(*Speaking of reading comprehension fail...)
Why would people go nuts over it if you didn't hear it out of context?

If you heard it IN context, properly, there'd be no outrage. But, internet™

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
May 7, 2015, 08:51 AM

Why would people go nuts over it if you didn't hear it out of context?

If you heard it IN context, properly, there'd be no outrage. But, internet™
Because, get this, some people are able to put themselves in other people's shoes and recognize what will set them off, because they know how those people think. It's called empathy. New concept for you, I'm sure.

starman
Clinically Insane
May 7, 2015, 10:55 AM

Because, get this, some people are able to put themselves in other people's shoes and recognize what will set them off, because they know how those people think. It's called empathy. New concept for you, I'm sure.
Well, you empathized with the wrong thing.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
May 7, 2015, 10:59 AM

Well, you empathized with the wrong thing.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 7, 2015, 11:02 AM

andi*pandi
May 7, 2015, 11:29 AM

Guys, guys, chill.

( Last edited by andi*pandi; May 7, 2015 at 11:54 AM. )

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
May 7, 2015, 12:03 PM

starman: "SAW CTP POST! MUST RAGE!!"

starman
Clinically Insane
May 7, 2015, 12:16 PM

starman: "SAW CTP POST! MUST RAGE!!"
Funny how you laugh when in fact you're just flat-out wrong. Good job. Maybe you should work for Fox News. They're just as accurate.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
May 7, 2015, 01:06 PM

Funny how you laugh when in fact you're just flat-out wrong. Good job. Maybe you should work for Fox News. They're just as accurate.
I laugh because your perception of the situation is funny. I wasn't wrong, you're just being a `tard.

starman
Clinically Insane
May 7, 2015, 05:44 PM

I laugh because your perception of the situation is funny. I wasn't wrong, you're just being a `tard.
No, I was right because I saw the movie, and there are plenty of web sites out there that actually transcribed what was said.

Everyone's focusing on the last thing she said without taking in her entire monologue. So congratulations, you're one of them also.

EDIT: Here's a site you can read. I hope your comprehension is still up to par. https://greatstoriesinc.wordpress.co...ne-gone-crazy/

EDIT 2: Here are some quotes people have stated which back up what I'm saying.

( Last edited by starman; May 7, 2015 at 05:55 PM. Reason: updates)

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
May 7, 2015, 06:00 PM

No, I was right because I saw the movie, and there are plenty of web sites out there that actually transcribed what was said.

Everyone's focusing on the last thing she said without taking in her entire monologue. So congratulations, you're one of them also.
Nope, but whatever, sport. I took in the entire scene and read it within context, but I was also able to see that some people were going to fly off the handle (because they don't).

EDIT: Here's a site you can read. I hope your comprehension is still up to par. https://greatstoriesinc.wordpress.co...ne-gone-crazy/
Yep, saw the movie, already knew that. But then, it's your comprehension that's been suspect for the last page of posts.

starman
Clinically Insane
May 7, 2015, 06:01 PM

Nope, but whatever, sport. I took in the entire scene and read it within context, but I was also able to see that some people were going to fly off the handle (because they don't).

Yep, saw the movie, already knew that. But then, it's your comprehension that's been suspect for the last page of posts.
And yet, I've shown how people such as yourself are misunderstanding the entire monologue. Look, if you want to stay in your little ignorant box, go right ahead.

andi*pandi
May 7, 2015, 06:18 PM

Please stop... I'm bored.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
May 7, 2015, 10:06 PM

And yet, I've shown how people such as yourself are misunderstanding the entire monologue. Look, if you want to stay in your little ignorant box, go right ahead.
I didn't misunderstand it you boob, I just saw where people could have. How many times do I need to explain that to you? Have you suffered some form of head trauma?

starman
Clinically Insane
May 7, 2015, 10:13 PM

I didn't misunderstand it you boob, I just saw where people could have. How many times do I need to explain that to you? Have you suffered some form of head trauma?
No, what you said was:

During the film, right after the scene in question, my wife looked at me and said, "There will be blood", turns out she was right.
No, your wife did, and you didn't say anything about the context of it. Writing fail?

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
May 7, 2015, 11:54 PM

No, what you said was:

No, your wife did, and you didn't say anything about the context of it. Writing fail?
She was only predicting other people's reactions (I was thinking something similar at the time as well), are you done trolling now?

starman
Clinically Insane
May 8, 2015, 12:32 AM

She was only predicting other people's reactions (I was thinking something similar at the time as well), are you done trolling now?
Are you done being vague now?

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
May 8, 2015, 12:43 AM

Are you done being vague now?
Are you done being willfully obtuse?

Forum Links