Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > new to mac: purchase Question

new to mac: purchase Question
telf
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 15, 2006, 08:35 AM

Hi there
Im new to this forum and new to mac. wanted to get advise/opinion/thoughts

wanting to purchase a macbook pro as need it for demonstration/training purposes for both OSX and Windows products including Adobe after FX 7, premier,Encore, photoshop, Finalcut, motion and protools so what would you get. Also work in the film industry doing sound so it needs to handle large loads when away from my desktop

my first choise would be

macbookpro
15 inch glossy
1.5 ram
7200 hd

could get the 17in if its any better but the size is an issue as i travel a lot.
also conserned about heat as in mac store they vary quite a lot from machine to machine
Is the heat of the 7200 compared to 5400 to be an issue?
I have a few lacies aswell but wont need them all the time, only for film jobs?
thanks in advance

drpepper
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 15, 2006, 09:04 AM

As the owner of a 15", I'd say that the size/weight difference of the 17" is not a big deal unless you are absolutely maxed out when traveling and a pound here and an inch there makes a real difference to you. The 17" is just not bulky.

For what you're doing, it sounds like you would really benefit from the 17" screen more than the (IMO) maginal portability difference.

It also sounds like you're going to really want the 120GB drive. So, that might make your other decision for you. Two operating systems and the kinds of apps you're talking about will leaving you needing that extra 20GB.

macboy
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 15, 2006, 09:32 AM

Definitely get the 17". I do a little bit of film work including showing some shorts to people on-the-go. I have never found the size to be inconvenient. The screen is beautiful and big enough to show off important graphical presentations or any artwork.

Although you might want to consider waiting till Adobe makes their apps universal (Intel native). Then you'll be able to make full use of your MBP's power. If you need something on a more immediate basis, a Powerbook 17" will do a great job too!

Apple2Mac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 15, 2006, 03:58 PM

For video editing you really want a 17inch there just isn't much room to work with a time line on a 15inch

Frugle
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 15, 2006, 10:43 PM

I love the MBP, great computer, I'm sure you will too.

Just a tip, if your OCD at ALL, don't get the glossy. I've used them, and in normal lighting situations, I CANNOT stand them. they look AMAZING, however I would not be able to handle the glare. (what esentially bothered me the most was the back and forth bouning movement of the screen from normal typing, it was visually obvious that the screen was moving back and forth from the reflections on the screen, which bothered me.)
15" MacBook Pro | 2.16GHz | 2GB DDR2 | 100GB 5400 rpm | 256MB X1600

mduell
Posting Junkie
Sep 17, 2006, 03:11 PM

With the work you're doing, I'd go with 2GB RAM (or 3 when they support it).

telf  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 23, 2006, 08:00 AM

thansk for the recommendations

I've heard there's new updated models ariving soon so im going to wait till next week and see what arises.

still nee to work out the gloosy or not and 15 or 17

anyway thanks again

telf

bimmerkid
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 13, 2006, 01:14 AM

DON'T GET GLOSSY! If your in film editing then it will be so bad! It has major glare and reflection when light hits it. The only way to see the screen clearly is to be in the dark... now thats kind of depressing!

goMac
Posting Junkie
Oct 13, 2006, 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by macboy
Definitely get the 17". I do a little bit of film work including showing some shorts to people on-the-go. I have never found the size to be inconvenient. The screen is beautiful and big enough to show off important graphical presentations or any artwork.

Although you might want to consider waiting till Adobe makes their apps universal (Intel native). Then you'll be able to make full use of your MBP's power. If you need something on a more immediate basis, a Powerbook 17" will do a great job too!
I run Adobe stuff on my MBP just fine.

You'd have to be insane to buy a Powerbook at this point, with the Universal Adobe products coming so soon. For video stuff, the Macbook Pro will blow the Powerbook out of the water.

Don't waste your money on PowerPC hardware.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Forum Links
Forum Rules