Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Apple Upgrade Policy and Previously Owned SW

Apple Upgrade Policy and Previously Owned SW
drpepper
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 18, 2007, 08:03 PM

Anyone able to share experiences on buying previously owned past version Apple software (FCP to be specific) in order to qualify for upgrade pricing?

There seems to be quite robust sales of previous versions of FCP on ebay, which I have to imagine is almost entirely made up of people hoping to get the one product in order to qualify for upgrade pricing on the current version, obviously at a discount.

Has anybody had a positive experience doing this? Done it and found out that it doesn't work? Ouch!

I was watching some auctions today and saw a supposedly unregistered version of FCP 3 sell for around $200 (another one went for over $500 - yikes - I'm not going to try to figure that one out). Anyway, the buyer of the $200 software can ostensibly go to Apple's website and get Final Cut Studio for $699. All total, $899 for Final Cut Studio sounds pretty good.

Newer versions get upgrade pricing of $199. It left me wondering about various scenarios, like what would happen if you bought FCP 4 that had already been used to upgrade to the current version?

Forum Links
Forum Rules