Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Apps not sticking in Dock for Intel iMac

Apps not sticking in Dock for Intel iMac
machineknight
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 14, 2006, 09:48 PM

Hi guys, (reposting it here and 'edited' the old one)

As always, coming here for help. My buddy (who doesn't have the 'net yet) just recently got an intel iMac 17in.... like a few weeks after they came out. Anyway, he called up asking why his programs won't stick in the Dock at all...

You know, you drag MS Word into the dock and normally it stays. His doesn't. At all. I don't know why. It runs fine and opens fine. When you right click on it after its opened, it ought to say "Keep in Dock" BUT it doesn't.

He originally installed MSOffice into his admin account, but since his family uses the comp, he moved the MSOffice folder into the shared folder so all would have access to it rather than multiple copies of. (I had suggested this method since it worked for me.) I believe the icons are already in his Dock in the admin account (due to installation), but not in the subsequent accounts.

What's going on? Is there a way to change it? I've been an OS X user for so long, I don't even remember there being a function to 'lock the dock' .... How do you 'unlock' it??

Please help from the both of us!!

Thanks

I WILL be the world's best swordsman!!

machineknight  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 15, 2006, 11:01 AM

bumpy bump.

Andy8
Mac Elite
Mar 15, 2006, 11:07 AM

You only need one copy of Office in the Admin account and everyone (all user accounts) has access from the same copy regardless (unless you set each account not to access certain apps)

machineknight  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 15, 2006, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by Andy8
You only need one copy of Office in the Admin account and everyone (all user accounts) has access from the same copy regardless (unless you set each account not to access certain apps)
How would I go about doing that? At least, how would I get the other accounts to use Office? The programs won't stick to the Dock

Forum Links
Forum Rules