Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > 3.0 Firmware Features

3.0 Firmware Features
Thread Tools
fmalloy
Mac Enthusiast
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Santa Clara, CA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 10, 2009, 04:17 PM
 
I know some of you out there have the 3.0 GM installed. For those, some questions:

- Is the battery percentage display option really gone? I was really looking forward to that.

- What other features/capabilities, etc. do you see other than what Apple has shown in the demo?

- How is the performance and battery life - any speedup?

- Any change in call reliability, bars, etc?

They claim 100 new features, but only discuss about 20 of them.
     
Brien
Professional Poster
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Southern California
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 10, 2009, 05:08 PM
 
Originally Posted by fmalloy View Post
I know some of you out there have the 3.0 GM installed. For those, some questions:

- Is the battery percentage display option really gone? I was really looking forward to that.
Yes. It's never been enabled by default - it's for testing purposes, but you can hack to enable it. Google will show you the answer.

Originally Posted by fmalloy View Post
- What other features/capabilities, etc. do you see other than what Apple has shown in the demo?
You can redeem iTunes Gift Cards on the device now, that's about the only thing I seem to have noticed.

Originally Posted by fmalloy View Post
- How is the performance and battery life - any speedup?
A tad faster.

Originally Posted by fmalloy View Post
- Any change in call reliability, bars, etc?
None that I can see.
     
kylef
Mac Enthusiast
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Northern Ireland
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 10, 2009, 05:21 PM
 
Originally Posted by Brien View Post
You can redeem iTunes Gift Cards on the device now, that's about the only thing I seem to have noticed.
Discovered this too - very handy as I review applications for the iPhone / iPod Touch. Can now do everything from the device itself .. another handy use of copy and paste
     
fmalloy  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Santa Clara, CA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 10, 2009, 05:39 PM
 
Originally Posted by Brien View Post
Yes. It's never been enabled by default - it's for testing purposes, but you can hack to enable it. Google will show you the answer.
Hmmm. For testing purposes - and you need to SSH into a jailbroken phone to edit a plist. Not interested in that.

I wonder why Apple holds back such a useful feature. We have battery percentages on our MacBooks. It's almost like they are just asking to be jailbroken...

So far, I'm underwhelmed. Most of their big "features" are just not a big deal at all. Purchase new game levels "in app". Wow!
     
Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: 888500128, C3, 2nd soft.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 10, 2009, 06:00 PM
 
Originally Posted by fmalloy View Post
Most of their big "features" are just not a big deal at all. Purchase new game levels "in app". Wow!
Actually: Purchase new maps "in app" in your navi. Wow!
     
kylef
Mac Enthusiast
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Northern Ireland
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 10, 2009, 06:16 PM
 
Originally Posted by fmalloy View Post
Hmmm. For testing purposes - and you need to SSH into a jailbroken phone to edit a plist. Not interested in that.

I wonder why Apple holds back such a useful feature. We have battery percentages on our MacBooks. It's almost like they are just asking to be jailbroken...

So far, I'm underwhelmed. Most of their big "features" are just not a big deal at all. Purchase new game levels "in app". Wow!
Push notifications are "not a big deal"?
     
Lint Police
Dedicated MacNNer
Join Date: May 2008
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 10, 2009, 06:28 PM
 
1. It's free.
2. Push Notification.
3. Copy & Paste.

That's enough right there to give me a stiffie.
( Last edited by Lint Police; Jun 10, 2009 at 08:51 PM. )

cause we're not quite "the fuzz"
     
Simon
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: in front of my Mac
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 11, 2009, 03:56 AM
 
What's a navi? Are you talking about a GPS?
     
ajprice
Professional Poster
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: UK
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 11, 2009, 06:25 AM
 
As well as whats been said above there is A2DP Bluetooth, MMS messages, landscape keyboards, search. All free.

I've had Nokias, Sony Ericssons and Motorola phones before, and with those you're basically stuck with the features the phone comes with when you buy it. iPhone is a different thing altogether.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.
     
JKT
Professional Poster
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: London, UK
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 12, 2009, 10:31 AM
 
Originally Posted by Simon View Post
What's a navi? Are you talking about a GPS?
Tom-Tom type applications. All the maps available probably won't all come in the app as they would require disk space, but it would be useful to be able to download them as an add-on should you ever need them (e.g. if you took a trip to another country and were driving while there).
     
turtle777
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: planning a comeback !
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 12, 2009, 11:17 AM
 
Originally Posted by Simon View Post
What's a navi? Are you talking about a GPS?
Yes, Europeans often refer to GPS units as a navi(gation units).

-t
     
JKT
Professional Poster
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: London, UK
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 12, 2009, 11:20 AM
 
Personally, the one major improvement I am hoping for in OS 3.0 is much better RAM usage and protection for apps that need lots of RAM. Getting sick of them quitting on me and having to reboot my phone so much just to make them usable.
     
Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: 888500128, C3, 2nd soft.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 12, 2009, 11:49 AM
 
Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Yes, Europeans often refer to GPS units as a navi(gation units).

-t
Not quite: a GPS unit is just the locator.

A navi is a device that guides you and uses a GPS signal to figure out your position.

Methinks perhaps Americans often refer to navigation assistants as "GPS"?
(Classic synecdoche, BTW.)
     
turtle777
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: planning a comeback !
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 12, 2009, 11:52 AM
 
Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Not quite: a GPS unit is just the locator.

A navi is a device that guides you and uses a GPS signal to figure out your position.

Methinks perhaps Americans often refer to navigation assistants as "GPS"?
(Classic synecdoche, BTW.)
Technical details really don't matter, unless you're out to proof that Europeans are "more correct" than Americans.

-t
     
Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: 888500128, C3, 2nd soft.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 12, 2009, 11:55 AM
 
I was surprised at a) the apparent need for explanation, and b) your readiness to supply it, and c) your lack of tongue-in-cheek receptor.

I did forget:
     
turtle777
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: planning a comeback !
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 12, 2009, 11:58 AM
 
Damnit it, it was a trap

It's way o early for me to notice this.

-t
     
ghporter
Administrator
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: San Antonio TX USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 12, 2009, 12:03 PM
 
Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Not quite: a GPS unit is just the locator.

A navi is a device that guides you and uses a GPS signal to figure out your position.

Methinks perhaps Americans often refer to navigation assistants as "GPS"?
(Classic synecdoche, BTW.)
Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Technical details really don't matter, unless you're out to proof that Europeans are "more correct" than Americans.

-t
If the "navi" uses GPS, then it IS a GPS receiver (and can usually provide all the handy features of a GPS receiver like giving coordinates (may have to dig through menus) and setting waypoints, etc.). If it doesn't use GPS, then what does it use? Ahhhhh. Therefore, this is really JUST a usage issue. So who gives a crap who is "more correct?"

I'm a GPS snob, by the way, and only recently obtained a Garmin Nuvi as a gift. I love it. But my eTrex ALSO has maps, so it's not "just a locator" either. Neither is my 10+ year old Garmin12... In fact, the only GPS device I own that doesn't inherently do built in maps that can be updated is the CF card GPS device I got for my Dell Axim X50...and since it can't do anything by itself, I don't think that really counts.

Are we done derailing now?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx
     
turtle777
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: planning a comeback !
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 12, 2009, 12:07 PM
 
Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Are we done derailing now?
Did *I* derail ?

I just explained to Simon what "navi" meant...

-t
     
Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: 888500128, C3, 2nd soft.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 12, 2009, 12:16 PM
 
Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
If the "navi" uses GPS, then it IS a GPS receiver (and can usually provide all the handy features of a GPS receiver like giving coordinates (may have to dig through menus) and setting waypoints, etc.). If it doesn't use GPS, then what does it use? Ahhhhh. Therefore, this is really JUST a usage issue. So who gives a crap who is "more correct?"
a) In the five or six minutes it probably took you to type that up and post it, you appear to have missed my response. We, er, "resolved" the, er, "issue".

b) If you *really* want to get anal, a GPS receiver is a (small, but vital) part of a navigation unit.

c) synecdoche |siˈnekdəkē|
noun
a figure of speech in which a part is made to represent the whole or vice versa, as in Cleveland won by six runs (meaning “Cleveland's baseball team”).

d)
     
ghporter
Administrator
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: San Antonio TX USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 12, 2009, 12:22 PM
 
I thought I was seeing an argument revving up. My apologies.

And it was only about two minutes. I'm a pretty fast typist.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx
     
Simon
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: in front of my Mac
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 12, 2009, 04:10 PM
 
So it's Denglish then. Fine with me.
( Last edited by Simon; Jun 12, 2009 at 04:24 PM. )
     
cybergoober
Mac Elite
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Newport News, VA USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 12, 2009, 05:19 PM
 
Originally Posted by Brien View Post
You can redeem iTunes Gift Cards on the device now, that's about the only thing I seem to have noticed.
I seem to recall being able to do this with the 2.x firmware.
     
Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 15, 2009, 04:56 AM
 
Originally Posted by cybergoober View Post
I seem to recall being able to do this with the 2.x firmware.
Yes, there is a 'Redeem'- button right there in the iTunes app's 'Downloads' tab.
     
williamappleseed
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: N Ireland
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 15, 2009, 04:13 PM
 
Greetings all

I have read almost everything and watched all the WWDC stuff and I don't think I heard the "phone" function on the iPhone mentioned. I hate to say it but my 16GB iPhone 3G (now on my third one) still drops calls--people tell me they have rang me--I don't get the call or even a "missed call" message. The coverage (O2 UK) is patchy in places where I used to get a solid signal on my old phones--sometimes signal strength is nil. My iPhone still gives me a blank screen at times, and at other times just locks up and the only fix is to try and force it to quit and then restart.
I am now using an old Motorola Razr and yes you guessed correctly --it just works. I can ring people and they can ring me--great success!
I love my iPhone- for everything else-if only the phone bit worked better.
Anyhoo all this is very frustrating for an Apple evangelist like me who preaches the gospel of MAC to friends and co workers alike.

So Again Apple--what about the phone bit! Any chance?
     
   
Thread Tools
 
Forum Links
Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Top
Privacy Policy
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:52 AM.
All contents of these forums © 1995-2017 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Branding + Design: www.gesamtbild.com
vBulletin v.3.8.8 © 2000-2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.,