Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Police discrimination, misconduct, Ferguson, MO, the Roman Legion, and now math???

Police discrimination, misconduct, Ferguson, MO, the Roman Legion, and now math??? (Page 38)
Thread Tools
Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Shaddim's sock drawer
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 3, 2015, 12:45 AM
 
Originally Posted by OAW View Post
We can always consult the dictionary ....



Apparently you are of the opinion that your direct quotes don't really mean what they say. You started off arguing one thing about "fewer sidewalks in black neighborhoods" and then switched to something else when challenged on it because you can't back it up. If you could have you would have. Simple as that. So whatever dude.

OAW
I didn't "switch to something else", WTF are you on about? All of what I stated is connected. Apparently you don't understand the concept of exposition, either.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr
     
OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: May 2001
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 3, 2015, 02:49 PM
 
Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants View Post
I didn't "switch to something else", WTF are you on about? All of what I stated is connected. Apparently you don't understand the concept of exposition, either.
"Switched". "Connected". Tell yourself whatever you want to tell yourself about such pedantry. Because the bottom line here is that you STILL have not provided any evidence to support either assertion. Nor have you even presented a logical argument to support either assertion in light of the demographic realities of Ferguson. Because again .... Ferguson has no shortage of sidewalks. Period. Dot. End of sentence. And even in the most "densely packed" part of town there are still plenty of white people who live there yet they somehow rarely end up with a jaywalking ticket. I suppose you could try to pull some other "non-racial" explanation out of your ass rather than simply acknowledge the obvious. But something tells me you'd rather insist on your original assertions ... little things like facts be damned.

OAW
( Last edited by OAW; Apr 3, 2015 at 03:08 PM. )
     
BadKosh
Professional Poster
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Just west of DC.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 3, 2015, 02:55 PM
 
demographics or traits?
     
The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 3, 2015, 03:29 PM
 
Originally Posted by Snow-i View Post
It wasn't the video that got it done, either. It was the fact that people started paying attention to that one video. The NYPD wouldn't have done shit if they weren't afraid of the bad PR, video or not.
Actually we're both wrong. Facing suspension is way too light for what happened. He should already be suspended and be facing termination.
     
Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Shaddim's sock drawer
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 3, 2015, 04:10 PM
 
Originally Posted by OAW View Post
"Switched". "Connected". Tell yourself whatever you want to tell yourself about such pedantry. Because the bottom line here is that you STILL have not provided any evidence to support either assertion. Nor have you even presented a logical argument to support either assertion in light of the demographic realities of Ferguson. Because again .... Ferguson has no shortage of sidewalks. Period. Dot. End of sentence. And even in the most "densely packed" part of town there are still plenty of white people who live there yet they somehow rarely end up with a jaywalking ticket. I suppose you could try to pull some other "non-racial" explanation out of your ass rather than simply acknowledge the obvious. But something tells me you'd rather insist on your original assertions ... little things like facts be damned.
"logical"? You? Really? The problem is, you need to see racism in nearly everything, from what I've seen, so you start from that position and work your way backwards (rather than starting in a neutral position and gathering data from there), it's like 3W feminists looking for misogyny. I don't blame you, not really, I fault an overall dearth of critical thinking capability in society.

What are the race demographics for that part of Ferguson? What is the racial breakdown of jaywalking citations in that part of Ferguson (which records the overwhelming majority of jaywalking offenses)? Of the people who live in that area of Ferguson, what percentage of blacks walk in the street compared to whites? Yeah, it's absurd to ticket people for jaywalking in the manner they've been doing it. As I said before, it's downright predatory, but predatory doesn't automatically mean racist. More people (especially more people with fewer safe walking areas per capita) means more opportunities to hand out such tickets.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr
     
OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: May 2001
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 3, 2015, 05:10 PM
 
Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants View Post
"logical"? You? Really? The problem is, you need to see racism in nearly everything .....
And if a cross was burned in a black family's yard you would need to see it as a simple case of arson. Deflection at its finest.

Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants View Post
What are the race demographics for that part of Ferguson?
Already posted above. And you conveniently choose to ignore it.

Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants View Post
What is the racial breakdown of jaywalking citations in that part of Ferguson (which records the overwhelming majority of jaywalking offenses)? Of the people who live in that area of Ferguson, what percentage of blacks walk in the street compared to whites?
Navel gazing ad naseum.

First of all ... you don't know that the "overwhelming majority" of jaywalking offenses are recorded "in that part of Ferguson". You are presuming based upon population density. Because again ... black and white people make up 67% and 33% of Ferguson respectively. Black AND white people live all over Ferguson and yet black people make up 95% of the jaywalking tickets handed out all over Ferguson ... and white people make up 5% of the jaywalking tickets handed out all over Ferguson. Those are the facts. And you don't know if the majority of those tickets were handed out in one residential area vs another ... on West Florissant Ave that went up in flames last summer ... or on South Florissant Ave which is the main drag through downtown Ferguson. So do you have any evidence to support your latest assertion? No? I thought not.

"What percentage of blacks walk in the streets compared to whites?" Surely you jest! What are you going to use to determine that? The number of tickets handed out as a result of a selectively enforced jaywalking law by the lily white Ferguson PD? I suppose a DECADE of statistics clearly showing that black people are disproportionately more like to be pulled over for traffic stops throughout the state of Missouri doesn't speak for itself either. Because black people as a whole across an ENTIRE STATE just happen to speed and fail to use a turn signal more than white people huh?

OAW
( Last edited by OAW; Apr 3, 2015 at 06:18 PM. )
     
Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Shaddim's sock drawer
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 4, 2015, 01:35 AM
 
Originally Posted by OAW View Post
And if a cross was burned in a black family's yard you would need to see it as a simple case of arson. Deflection at its finest.
and that's a strawman at its worst.

Already posted above. And you conveniently choose to ignore it.
No it wasn't, that was for all of Ferguson.

Navel gazing ad naseum.
"Oh, I didn't like those questions, nah nah."

First of all ... you don't know that the "overwhelming majority" of jaywalking offenses are recorded "in that part of Ferguson". You are presuming based upon population density. Because again ... black and white people make up 67% and 33% of Ferguson respectively. Black AND white people live all over Ferguson and yet black people make up 95% of the jaywalking tickets handed out all over Ferguson ... and white people make up 5% of the jaywalking tickets handed out all over Ferguson. Those are the facts. And you don't know if the majority of those tickets were handed out in one residential area vs another ... on West Florissant Ave that went up in flames last summer ... or on South Florissant Ave which is the main drag through downtown Ferguson. So do you have any evidence to support your latest assertion? No? I thought not.

"What percentage of blacks walk in the streets compared to whites?" Surely you jest! What are you going to use to determine that? The number of tickets handed out as a result of a selectively enforced jaywalking law by the lily white Ferguson PD? I suppose a DECADE of statistics clearly showing that black people are disproportionately more like to be pulled over for traffic stops throughout the state of Missouri doesn't speak for itself either. Because black people as a whole across an ENTIRE STATE just happen to speed and fail to use a turn signal more than white people huh?
Yep, you think not quite often. You can't answer the questions nor back up your assertions regarding those areas of Ferguson so you just pass more verbal diarrhea. One more time: What are the race demographics for that part of Ferguson? What is the racial breakdown of jaywalking citations in that part of Ferguson (which records the overwhelming majority of jaywalking offenses)? Of the people who live in that area of Ferguson, what percentage of blacks walk in the street compared to whites? But save your breath, I'll tell you why you can't, because those stats aren't collected, and because they aren't we can't get a full picture of what's actually going on, it's incomplete, which results in SJW claims like yours that everything is racism because it fits your agenda (and in your case literally puts money in your pockets).
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr
     
OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: May 2001
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 4, 2015, 10:22 AM
 
^^^^

You can keep on trying to "flip the script" on this all you want but it's not going to work on me.

Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants
The problem is, you need to see racism in nearly everything .....
Originally Posted by OAW
And if a cross was burned in a black family's yard you would need to see it as a simple case of arson. Deflection at its finest.
Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants
and that's a strawman at its worst.
It's just as much of a strawman as what you had to say. Two can play that game.

But let's get back to more substantive matters. First of all ... I never made any assertions about "that part of Ferguson". You did! So it's on you to provide backup for your own presumptions. What's happening here is you don't like what the statistics that ARE being collected for the entire city of Ferguson are showing. So you then PRESUME that these jaywalking tickets are being handed out in certain areas predominantly ... even though you just admitted that there are no statistics being collected on a neighborhood level. But because I can't disprove your PRESUMPTION with NON-EXISTENT statistics ... you make a feeble minded attempt to claim that I and everyone else around this area with sense are simply jumping to conclusions about it being rooted in racism. Exhaustive study by the DOJ about racial bias in the Ferguson PD that goes well above and beyond JAYWALKING TICKETS be damned.

And if you really think any of this "puts money in my pockets" then you have completely lost your mind. What this is about is my 17 year old son. And the young sons of my family ... my friends ... and my people in general. It's about legitimate fear we feel whenever they walk out the door. Because a young black kid who stays out of trouble and minds his own business can still lose his life in a heartbeat at the hands of the police. And they continue to get away with it because people like you bend over backwards to not acknowledge the obvious about why that is the case.
( Last edited by OAW; Apr 4, 2015 at 11:16 AM. )
     
Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Shaddim's sock drawer
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 4, 2015, 12:29 PM
 
Originally Posted by OAW View Post
^^^^

You can keep on trying to "flip the script" on this all you want but it's not going to work on me.



It's just as much of a strawman as what you had to say. Two can play that game.
No, it simply isn't. You've tried playing that for years, but that doesn't mean you're right.

But let's get back to more substantive matters. First of all ... I never made any assertions about "that part of Ferguson". You did! So it's on you to provide backup for your own presumptions. What's happening here is you don't like what the statistics that ARE being collected for the entire city of Ferguson are showing. So you then PRESUME that these jaywalking tickets are being handed out in certain areas predominantly ... even though you just admitted that there are no statistics being collected on a neighborhood level. But because I can't disprove your PRESUMPTION with NON-EXISTENT statistics ... you make a feeble minded attempt to claim that I and everyone else around this area with sense are simply jumping to conclusions about it being rooted in racism. Exhaustive study by the DOJ about racial bias in the Ferguson PD that goes well above and beyond JAYWALKING TICKETS be damned.
You fail at reading comprehension, or are just willfully ignoring what I said... again...

"I'll tell you why you can't, because those stats aren't collected, and because they aren't we can't get a full picture of what's actually going on, it's incomplete."

You've built a case on an incomplete data set, but this is completely normal for you, because you have no problem, whatsoever, accusing and condemning people of racism without having all the facts. In fact, you do this so often it actually marginalizes everything you say. It's pathological, from what I can tell.

And if you really think any of this "puts money in my pockets" then you have completely lost your mind. What this is about is my 17 year old son. And the young sons of my family ... my friends ... and my people in general. It's about legitimate fear we feel whenever they walk out the door. Because a young black kid who stays out of trouble and minds his own business can still lose his life in a heartbeat at the hands of the police. And they continue to get away with it because people like you bend over backwards to not acknowledge the obvious about why that is the case.
Right, like you don't do work for a race advocacy group. Heh. If you want to work yourself up into a frenzy and feel fear every time you walk out the door, so be it. Who exactly is hunting you? Are you a fugitive from justice? Did someone place a bounty on your head? (More importantly, is your picture hanging up at the post office, because I always look a those, they're fascinating to me.) I personally don't know any other blacks who feel that way, and I hang out with quite a few, so that seems pretty strange.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr
     
OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: May 2001
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 4, 2015, 02:48 PM
 
Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants View Post
Right, like you don't do work for a race advocacy group.
WTF?

Dude ... I work in IT. And I have for the last 25 years. I've stated that around here on many occasions. I do not now nor have I EVER worked for any sort of "race advocacy group". Where on earth did you get that nonsense from? Once again you are talking what you think and not what you know. Or perhaps you just need to back up off the percocet a bit?

Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants View Post
You've built a case on an incomplete data set, but this is completely normal for you, because you have no problem, whatsoever, accusing and condemning people of racism without having all the facts.
You see this is what you are doing here. The DOJ statistics in Ferguson are at the city level. You say it's "incomplete" because it's not at the neighborhood level. But if there were statistics at the neighborhood level you would say that was "incomplete" because it's not at the street level. But if there were statistics at the street level you would say that was "incomplete" because it's not at the household level. As I stated earlier .... "Moving the goalposts". Let's just face it ... in this entire thread on occasion you have acknowledged that a LEO was "wrong" in his actions. But you have not once acknowledged a single incident as being the result of racial bias. And chances are you never will because you are simply inclined to delude yourself into thinking that racism only exists in the abstract ... but as a practical matter it is simply a mass hallucination on the part of black people.

Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants View Post
Heh. If you want to work yourself up into a frenzy and feel fear every time you walk out the door, so be it. Who exactly is hunting you? Are you a fugitive from justice? Did someone place a bounty on your head? (More importantly, is your picture hanging up at the post office, because I always look a those, they're fascinating to me.) I personally don't know any other blacks who feel that way, and I hang out with quite a few, so that seems pretty strange.
It's right there in black and white that I was talking about my teenage son and the young sons of my friends and family. I wasn't talking about myself by any stretch of the imagination. Clearly you are the one with reading comprehension issues.

Moreover ... we are 1860 posts into the thread about this very topic. If you don't get it by now why black people fear for their young sons when they encounter the police then you are an even bigger idiot than I thought you were. Or perhaps just deliberately obtuse. Or maybe you are just trying to troll me because for the life of me I simply can't fathom how someone can actually be so dense in light of such overwhelming evidence. In any event ... all of this just reminds me that I put you on my ignore list for a reason. I can only try to point out that 2+2=4 to someone for so long before it becomes an exercise in futility. I'll just leave you to continue wearing your willful blindness like it's a badge of honor.

OAW
( Last edited by OAW; Apr 4, 2015 at 03:05 PM. )
     
Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Shaddim's sock drawer
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 5, 2015, 01:17 AM
 
Originally Posted by OAW View Post
WTF?

Dude ... I work in IT. And I have for the last 25 years. I've stated that around here on many occasions. I do not now nor have I EVER worked for any sort of "race advocacy group". Where on earth did you get that nonsense from? Once again you are talking what you think and not what you know. Or perhaps you just need to back up off the percocet a bit?
Right, you don't work with any political/race advocacy groups? (I didn't say for, way to change that.)

You see this is what you are doing here. The DOJ statistics in Ferguson are at the city level. You say it's "incomplete" because it's not at the neighborhood level. But if there were statistics at the neighborhood level you would say that was "incomplete" because it's not at the street level. But if there were statistics at the street level you would say that was "incomplete" because it's not at the household level. As I stated earlier .... "Moving the goalposts". Let's just face it ... in this entire thread on occasion you have acknowledged that a LEO was "wrong" in his actions. But you have not once acknowledged a single incident as being the result of racial bias. And chances are you never will because you are simply inclined to delude yourself into thinking that racism only exists in the abstract ... but as a practical matter it is simply a mass hallucination on the part of black people.
You see this is what you are doing here. I never moved any goalposts, that's been my position since we started this particular topic. As for mass hallucination, I think you in particular see racism everywhere, because you want to, you're indoctrinated into that worldview. Seeing blacks as victims is a fine way to avoid responsibility for their social and economic issues. "We're not at fault for that, we're the victims!" By and large, blacks are holding back blacks, not anyone else.

It's right there in black and white that I was talking about my teenage son and the young sons of my friends and family. I wasn't talking about myself by any stretch of the imagination. Clearly you are the one with reading comprehension issues.
Then you've not done a proper job preparing him for life and have passed on your victimization and fear of "the other" to him.

Moreover ... we are 1860 posts into the thread about this very topic. If you don't get it by now why black people fear for their young sons when they encounter the police then you are an even bigger idiot than I thought you were. Or perhaps just deliberately obtuse. Or maybe you are just trying to troll me because for the life of me I simply can't fathom how someone can actually be so dense in light of such overwhelming evidence. In any event ... all of this just reminds me that I put you on my ignore list for a reason. I can only try to point out that 2+2=4 to someone for so long before it becomes an exercise in futility. I'll just leave you to continue wearing your willful blindness like it's a badge of honor.
If Mike Brown hadn't been a criminal and a thug, he'd still be alive. That's also true for most young blacks who have been killed by police. If you've taught you your son not to steal and abuse, he'll be fine. And for God's sake stop passing on your victim mentality on to him, like so many other black parents do with their kids, you're not doing him any favors. Have a relative few people been killed wrongfully by police? Yep. But that's true with people of all races, because there are some cops who shouldn't be in law enforcement. It's a vetting and training problem, not this grand racial conspiracy.

and you never had me on ignore. How do I know? Because I could still send you PMs, and you can't do that when that person is ignoring you, dumbass.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr
     
Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Shaddim's sock drawer
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 6, 2015, 05:51 PM
 
Originally Posted by OAW View Post
Or perhaps you just need to back up off the percocet a bit?
BTW, nice cheap shot there, mocking my dependency problem. You loathsome detritivore.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr
     
OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: May 2001
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 6, 2015, 08:52 PM
 
Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants View Post
Right, you don't work with any political/race advocacy groups?
No ... I don't work with any "race advocacy" group either. Not the NAACP, National Action Network, Urban League, etc. And I never have. Now I was a member of the Black Student Union when I was in college and President during my sophomore and junior years. In the late 1980s! But surely that's not what you meant given your use of the present tense. So think about it. I am by no means shy about expressing my viewpoints around here on ANY topic. Including those involving race. So if I did work with/for any such "race advocacy" organization ... why would I lie and say I didn't? And to what end? As if I give two sh*ts about what YOU might think of it?

But apparently a simple concept like that eludes you ... so tell yourself whatever you want to tell yourself.

Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants View Post
(I didn't say for, way to change that.)
Oh you didn't say that huh?

Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants
Right, like you don't do work for a race advocacy group.
Well that is either a figment of our collective imagination even though it's right there in black and white. Or something seems to be impacting your ability to remember your own words from one post to the next.

Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants View Post
and you never had me on ignore. How do I know? Because I could still send you PMs, and you can't do that when that person is ignoring you, dumbass.
Are you still going on about this draft PM that you never actually sent?



I already demonstrated your utter cluelessness about how the ignore function actually works here. And I have neither the time nor the inclination to repeat myself. Anyone who is interested in a good laugh can follow the link and see who the "dumbass" really is. BTW ... you still haven't posted a screenshot of that PM you supposedly sent to me after I put you on ignore in your Sent Items folder. Imagine that.

OAW

PS: I only have so much patience for individuals such as yourself who reflexively exhibit willful blindness despite overwhelming evidence. Your account has been exhausted. So at this point I choose to let the ignore function do its thing until such time as your account has been replenished. In your case I seem to be dealing with willful blindness taken to a whole new level so I can make no promises on if or when that day will ever come.
( Last edited by OAW; Apr 6, 2015 at 09:28 PM. )
     
Cold Warrior
Moderator
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Polwaristan
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 6, 2015, 08:55 PM
 
This has already crossed rules 1 and 9. Let's check the personal attacks and let folks be heard without kicking them for it. Thanks.
     
Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Shaddim's sock drawer
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 7, 2015, 12:49 AM
 
Originally Posted by OAW View Post
No ... I don't work with any "race advocacy" group either. Not the NAACP, National Action Network, Urban League, etc. And I never have. Now I was a member of the Black Student Union when I was in college and President during my sophomore and junior years. In the late 1980s! But surely that's not what you meant given your use of the present tense. So think about it. I am by no means shy about expressing my viewpoints around here on ANY topic. Including those involving race. So if I did work with/for any such "race advocacy" organization ... why would I lie and say I didn't? And to what end? As if I give two sh*ts about what YOU might think of it?

But apparently a simple concept like that eludes you ... so tell yourself whatever you want to tell yourself.
Riiiight, keep shoveling that horseshit.

Oh you didn't say that huh?

Well that is either a figment of our collective imagination even though it's right there in black and white. Or something seems to be impacting your ability to remember your own words from one post to the next.
You know quite well "doing work for" doesn't mean your career, genius. Speaking of moving goalposts. Just admit you're a shill and be done with it.

Are you still going on about this draft PM that you never actually sent?



I already demonstrated your utter cluelessness about how the ignore function actually works here. And I have neither the time nor the inclination to repeat myself. Anyone who is interested in a good laugh can follow the link and see who the "dumbass" really is. BTW ... you still haven't posted a screenshot of that PM you supposedly sent to me after I put you on ignore in your Sent Items folder. Imagine that.
I did send it, you liar (which I've proven you've done time and time again whenever it suits you, because you have no ethical standards).

PS: I only have so much patience for individuals such as yourself who reflexively exhibit willful blindness despite overwhelming evidence. Your account has been exhausted. So at this point I choose to let the ignore function do its thing until such time as your account has been replenished. In your case I seem to be dealing with willful blindness taken to a whole new level so I can make no promises on if or when that day will ever come.
You're a waste of oxygen anyway.

PS. Oh, does that include replies to nested quotes? Because that's just being a cowardly little rodent, but then, you're apparently on the FBI's Most Wanted list or something like that, and too afraid to leave your own home.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr
     
Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Shaddim's sock drawer
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 7, 2015, 12:57 AM
 
Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
This has already crossed rules 1 and 9. Let's check the personal attacks and let folks be heard without kicking them for it. Thanks.
It really wouldn't happen if he could keep from lashing out using unrelated personal information in other threads, but that's just part of what he is.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr
     
Snow-i
Professional Poster
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Maryland
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 7, 2015, 03:55 AM
 
Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
This has already crossed rules 1 and 9. Let's check the personal attacks and let folks be heard without kicking them for it. Thanks.
Tthe entirely of the PWL is like 9 people. Let em have it out and find common ground. Believe it or not this situation might lead to greater understanding, as it has for me each time I've gotten into it with somebody here.

At this point, the rules are a formality between posters that've been here for years with no new blood in as many. It's already dying, don't hasten the process for the sake of us all.

Shaddim and OAW can find their own peace together - each are speaking from passionate, though absolutist positions. There is truth to what both of them are saying, and I'd like to see one of them be big enough to attempt some common ground on their own.

Edited to add: Are there racists and Missouri? yes

Do the stats tell even nearly part of the whole story? No.

Is there some kind of pervasive white-on-black racism that is the sole or majority factor for the related problems we see there today? Absolutely not

Is there racism as a kind of problem that drives behaviors the rest of us would like to see completely eradicated? Absolutely So.

OAW, Shaddim. Your positions aren't mutually exclusive - not even close.
( Last edited by Snow-i; Apr 7, 2015 at 04:20 AM. )
     
Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: UK
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 7, 2015, 04:14 AM
 
I've long forgotten what they're actually arguing about.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....
     
The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 7, 2015, 10:15 AM
 
Originally Posted by Snow-i View Post
Tthe entirely of the PWL is like 9 people. Let em have it out and find common ground. Believe it or not this situation might lead to greater understanding, as it has for me each time I've gotten into it with somebody here.
This will not lead to common ground, this will not lead to greater understanding, this is a pissing match and the side-effect is it completely engulfs the thread its in and makes in uninhabitable.
     
OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: May 2001
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 7, 2015, 11:22 AM
 
Originally Posted by Snow-i View Post
Tthe entirely of the PWL is like 9 people. Let em have it out and find common ground. Believe it or not this situation might lead to greater understanding, as it has for me each time I've gotten into it with somebody here.

At this point, the rules are a formality between posters that've been here for years with no new blood in as many. It's already dying, don't hasten the process for the sake of us all.

Shaddim and OAW can find their own peace together - each are speaking from passionate, though absolutist positions. There is truth to what both of them are saying, and I'd like to see one of them be big enough to attempt some common ground on their own.

Edited to add: Are there racists and Missouri? yes

Do the stats tell even nearly part of the whole story? No.

Is there some kind of pervasive white-on-black racism that is the sole or majority factor for the related problems we see there today? Absolutely not

Is there racism as a kind of problem that drives behaviors the rest of us would like to see completely eradicated? Absolutely So.

OAW, Shaddim. Your positions aren't mutually exclusive - not even close.
The funny thing is I agree with everything you said here ... with the exception of the stats . And I appreciate the attempt at mediation. But finding "common ground" with this individual is nearly impossible when he will repeatedly claim he sent me a PM when his own screenshot hosted on his own Photobucket account clearly shows it's an unsent draft message. Especially when he's been challenged to post a screenshot of said PM in his Sent Items folder to actually backup his claims ... if for no other reason than to shut me up and expose me for the "liar" he claims I am. Yet said challenge to date has gone unanswered ... except for mere regurgitation of BS claims that have already been disproven. An individual who will swear he didn't say "work for" when it's right there in black and white in his own post! So you tell me my friend ... what am I supposed to do with that? What am I supposed to do with someone who apparently believes that actually backing up one's assertions with facts and evidence in what is essentially a debate forum is OPTIONAL? What am I supposed to do with someone whose prevailing attitude in light of this latest bit of foolishness seems to be "Who are you going to believe? Me or your lying eyes?" Apparently a simple "My bad, yes that's what I said but this is what I meant ..." is too much like right for him ... so instead he chooses to not only double-down on stupidity and argue a point that's completely contradicted by his own words ... but also he chooses to insist that he knows my organizational associations better than I do. As I stated above ... I have limited patience for dumb sh*t. So it's best that I just cease my interactions with him for some time as long as this is going to be his M.O.

OAW
     
Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Shaddim's sock drawer
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 7, 2015, 11:42 AM
 
You know, I would have, and did have it setup that way with the Shaddim nick, but by default the forum doesn't save sent PMs. That function, for some unknown reason, isn't ticked by default (and this is a rather new account). You have to manually set it yourself, which is something I didn't realize until after that incident. But you see, you (being what you are), will always automatically assume the worst and condemn others without having any facts, at all. So thanks for showing everyone, yet again, how your mind works (or in this case doesn't), champ.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr
     
OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: May 2001
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 7, 2015, 11:45 AM
 
And in other news ....



A group of black teens in Minneapolis pulled over by a white police officer. The video is only 30 seconds so it doesn't tell the entire story like many of the others posted in the thread ... but what it does reveal should be troubling to any well-intentioned citizen.

Cop: Plain and simple if you f*ck with me I'm gonna break your leg before you get a chance to run. I'm being honest ... I don't screw around.

Teenager: Who said I was gonna to run?

Cop: I'm just giving you a heads up. Just trying to be Officer Friendly right now.
Teenager: Can you tell me why I'm getting arrested?

Cop: Because I feel like arresting you.
Simple traffic stop of several black teens in a car. Cops approached with guns drawn. The teens were threatened and handcuffed for 40+ minutes while the car was searched and their backgrounds checked. When nothing was found the cops let them go without so much as an apology. Their excuse? They supposedly suspected the teens of grand theft auto.

Now some people are inclined to simply take the word of "Officer Friendly". Others ... especially those of us who know what it's like to be on the receiving end of such treatment either directly or indirectly via family, friends, etc. ... see this in the light of a pattern of racial profiling. Now think about it ... a police officer can run the plates and determine if the car has been reported stolen before they even pull you over! It doesn't appear that the driver was ticketed for anything. None of the teens were arrested. So is it possible that "Officer Friendly" truly believed the teens may have been involved in a grand theft auto? Sure. Most anything is possible. But I contend that it is more probable given the circumstances that he simply assumed the teens were up to no good and went on a fishing expedition that came up short. And as much as some hate to admit it ... this is what racial profiling looks like.

Minneapolis cop threatens to break legs of teens before letting them go

OAW
     
Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Shaddim's sock drawer
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 7, 2015, 11:58 AM
 
Originally Posted by OAW View Post
So is it possible that "Officer Friendly" truly believed the teens may have been involved in a grand theft auto? Sure. Most anything is possible. But I contend that it is more probable given the circumstances that he simply assumed the teens were up to no good and went on a fishing expedition that came up short. And as much as some hate to admit it ... this is what racial profiling looks like.
No, that's what pulling over a car filled with teenage boys looks like, I had the exact same thing happen to me when I was 17. Though I suppose in our case they could have been profiling for jews, since most of the people in my car were. Unfortunately, one of my friends did have a tiny amount of pot in his jacket (he'd completely forgotten it was there) and ended up being arrested and getting 6 months probation, and a sound thrashing from his dad. Come to think of it, I was grounded for a month for not doing anything wrong at all.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr
     
The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 7, 2015, 12:01 PM
 
Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants View Post
No, that's what pulling over a car filled with teenage boys looks like
Does this somehow make it ok?
     
Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Shaddim's sock drawer
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 7, 2015, 12:21 PM
 
Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Does this somehow make it ok?
Hell no it doesn't, it's still discriminatory and wrong, but that doesn't mean it's racist.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr
     
OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: May 2001
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 7, 2015, 12:59 PM
 
In other notable developments, Ferguson has a municipal election today ....

Voter Turnout Key in Ferguson Municipal Election - The Root

I'm a firm believer that if you don't vote ... then don't complain. We shall see what the turnout looks like. That being said, we have severe thunderstorms in the area today with golf-ball sized hail. Hopefully that won't negatively impact turnout.

OAW
( Last edited by OAW; Apr 7, 2015 at 01:32 PM. )
     
OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: May 2001
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 7, 2015, 01:11 PM
 
As I've said before, if you are dealing with a mentally ill relative or friend think long and hard before calling the police for "assistance" ....



In July 2014, two Idaho police officers shot and killed a 35-year-old Native American woman, Jeanetta Riley, after she waved a knife at them outside a hospital.

The Guardian reports that Riley’s husband, Shane, had driven her to the hospital after she threatened to kill herself. When they arrived, she pulled out a knife. Fearing that she would hurt herself, Shane ran inside and asked hospital staff to call the police.

Unfortunately, within 15 seconds of the officers arriving at the scene, his wife was gunned down.

Riley was pregnant and addicted to methamphetamine and alcohol at the time of her death. Both officers involved in the shooting have since been cleared of any misconduct.

Fourteen hours after this shooting, police shot and killed a dog named Arfee. Two weeks later, the dog’s owner received a payout of $80,000, reports The Guardian.

Jeanetta Riley’s husband and their three daughters, on the other hand, have yet to receive even an apology.
Idaho police gun down mentally ill pregnant woman | theGrio

Kill a dog? $80K settlement. Kill a pregnant woman without even attempting to defuse the situation? Whatever ... just keep it moving.
OAW
( Last edited by OAW; Apr 7, 2015 at 02:30 PM. )
     
The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 7, 2015, 01:29 PM
 
Unfortunately, within 15 seconds of the officers arriving at the scene, his wife was gunned down.
There's a theme on some of these... these guys just don't hesitate.
     
Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Shaddim's sock drawer
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 7, 2015, 01:43 PM
 
Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
There's a theme on some of these... these guys just don't hesitate.
Yep, that's ****ed up, where were their tasers? That's also why I fully endorse all officers carrying 2 different firearms, one loaded with non-lethal ammo (aka. "rubber" bullets). I've personally been shot with them as a test (yeah, wasn't the smartest thing I've ever done) and they hurt like a SOB and will defuse just about any situation without killing anyone.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr
     
Snow-i
Professional Poster
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Maryland
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 7, 2015, 05:53 PM
 
Originally Posted by OAW View Post
The funny thing is I agree with everything you said here ... with the exception of the stats . And I appreciate the attempt at mediation.
Of course, OAW . Now, I'm gonna be a bit hard on you - everything I'm saying here goes for both of you, so take it for what its worth and know that I'd only be expending the effort if I thought it was worth it to give you my perspective.

But finding "common ground" with this individual is nearly impossible when he will repeatedly claim he sent me a PM when his own screenshot hosted on his own Photobucket account clearly shows it's an unsent draft message. Especially when he's been challenged to post a screenshot of said PM in his Sent Items folder to actually backup his claims
Really though, who cares? This is dumb shit that is so far off the issue that it makes my brain hurt just trying to follow it.

... if for no other reason than to shut me up and expose me for the "liar" he claims I am. Yet said challenge to date has gone unanswered ... except for mere regurgitation of BS claims that have already been disproven. An individual who will swear he didn't say "work for" when it's right there in black and white in his own post! So you tell me my friend ... what am I supposed to do with that? What am I supposed to do with someone who apparently believes that actually backing up one's assertions with facts and evidence in what is essentially a debate forum is OPTIONAL? What am I supposed to do with someone whose prevailing attitude in light of this latest bit of foolishness seems to be "Who are you going to believe? Me or your lying eyes?" Apparently a simple "My bad, yes that's what I said but this is what I meant ..." is too much like right for him ... so instead he chooses to not only double-down on stupidity and argue a point that's completely contradicted by his own words ... but also he chooses to insist that he knows my organizational associations better than I do. As I stated above ... I have limited patience for dumb sh*t. So it's best that I just cease my interactions with him for some time as long as this is going to be his M.O.

OAW
You're supposed to grow up, get over it, and keep the conversation moving in a positive direction. Getting stuck on what may or may not have been in someone's inbox at some point and their claims against it is an utter waste of time for everyone involved, yourself and Shaddim included. All of us here have limited patience for dumb shit, OAW. Stating so only weakens your argument, as you've apparently chosen to directly engage "dumb shit" for thousands of words, even after it's become apparent that neither of you will give an inch on this issue-thats-really-not-an-issue.

If you want to engage in shit that to you isn't "dumb shit" then I challenge you to lead by example, and throw in a bit of understanding here and there even when your blood starts to boil.

So, that said. Lets get back on track.

Let's break down the stats and what the stats mean to you. Which part of my statement do you disagree with and why? We'll try to cover the gap as best we can, and keep this discussion moving in a positive direction.
     
OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: May 2001
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 7, 2015, 07:26 PM
 
^^^^

Fair enough. Hence why I said it's just best that I cease my interaction with him for the time being.

As for the stats ... let me put it to you like this. The stats reveal a very troubling pattern that is by no means exclusive to Ferguson because many other municipalities in STL County have the same issue. As a quick aside about a month or so ago I had to deal with a speeding ticket in one of these same municipalities. Now quite unlike a lot of people in the northern part of the county I am fortunate enough to be able to pay an attorney to get such matters "fixed". You pay your attorney a flat fee. The attorney cuts a deal with the local prosecutor. You then plead guilty. Pay a fine which amounts to about double what the speeding ticket would have cost plus court fees (which can be another 50-60 bucks). And in exchange the charge is amended to a non-moving violation which results in no points on your license and no increase in your insurance rates. So you pay considerably more out of pocket up front ... but it saves you a lot of money in the long run. One can argue that this is "legal bribery" but that's the way the game is played around here ... if you can afford it. But if you can't ... it's a completely different ball of wax. The ticket totally slipped my mind and the fine was due that day. If I didn't pay it the plea agreement would have been null and void and I would have been facing an arrest warrant. Not a good look! So I try to go online and pay this fine. Website won't let me. So I call and try to pay by phone. The court clerk says I have to come to court and pay in person. So I do that and try to pay at the clerk window. She says she can't take the payment because all the paperwork is inside the courtroom with the judge. So now I have to go into the courtroom and wait for my name to be called ... just so I can go up to the judge who has the plea agreement in his hands, wait a second for him to sign it and hand it to me, then take that same piece of paper back outside the courtroom to the clerk window, hand it to her, and then pay the fine. All of which I should have been able to just do online and call it a freaking day! I suspect the clerk didn't appreciate it when I grumbled out loud "Why on earth would you guys make it this difficult to pay you money? Local government at its finest. " But whatever. It ain't like I said anything outlandish. In any event, my point in bringing it up is that the scene inside the courtroom was absolutely endemic of the issues highlighted in the DOJ report. Now this particular municipality is Bridgeton, MO. Another "inner ring suburb" much like Ferguson. About 11.5K residents. But the demographics are nearly the opposite. Bridgeton is 72% white and 19% black. Yet when you go inside the municipal courtroom on any typical evening you see a white judge, a white bailiff, a white court clerk and a sea of black faces in the seating area waiting for their cases to be adjudicated. The overwhelming majority of which are for traffic violations, expired license tags, failure to have car insurance, and interestingly enough ... court appearances to make payments on the aforementioned charges or explain to the judge why you can't. And of course, failure to appear charges on all of that as well. Just like in Ferguson and countless other municipalities in STL County. So that runs counter to the argument that "Well it's a majority black area so OF COURSE the majority of the cases would be black people." Because around here it doesn't matter whether the area is majority black or majority white ... the scene in the courtroom is generally the same. As it was the night I was in there. There was one white lady in the courtroom for a traffic violation. And some young white dude who was brought in by the local police in handcuffs for a property damage charge. Everybody else was black ... in a city that is 72% white. I tried to secretly take a picture to post here so you guys could have a visual ... but I thought better of it. My kids had a band concert that night and I wasn't trying to get hemmed up.

So the point here is that one can always claim the stats don't tell the entire story. As I stated earlier if the stats in Ferguson are at the city level some will claim they don't tell the whole story because they are not at the neighborhood level. And if they were at the neighborhood level then they don't tell the whole story because they are not at the street level. And if they were at the street level then they don't tell the whole story because they are not at the household level. If one is engulfed in smoke and absolutely determined to deny the existence of fire then no level of statistics will ever suffice. One could try to argue that these janky little municipalities are simply exploiting poor people for financial gain. And one would be right until one tries to take it a step further and swear on a stack of bibles that there is no racial component to it as well. No one ... least of all me ... is claiming that race is the only factor involved. And those who bandy that about are simply engaging in straw man arguments. But at the end of the day the statistics also show that you generally don't see a sea of poor white people's faces in these situations. Some for sure ... but nowhere near their representation in the population. One can try to dismiss it all by claiming that those who point such disparities out "see racism in everything" ... to which I simply reply "No ... I just see racism in racism."

African-Americans have been speaking out about the Driving While Black (DWB) phenomenon for decades ... and quite frankly, with most white people denial and dismissal has been the order of the day. And now even when study after study shows this is not some sort of unfounded story we just like to sit around and tell ourselves so we can just wallow in a "victim mentality" ... we have a significant percentage of white people who STILL don't believe that fat meat is greasy! Which then begs the question ... is there any level of evidence that will ever suffice? And what alternative explanation exists that doesn't involve racial bias which doesn't defy simple logic and common sense?

OAW
( Last edited by OAW; Apr 7, 2015 at 07:44 PM. )
     
OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: May 2001
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 7, 2015, 08:12 PM
 
More shenanigans with the obligatory "He went for my gun." and "I feared for my life." claims. Something that many of us have been calling BS on for decades in these situations which is now increasingly being proven to be accurate. But only because we live in the age of smartphones ...



A white South Carolina police officer was arrested and charged with murder Tuesday after video showed him fatally shooting a fleeing, unarmed black man in the back.

North Charleston Police Officer Michael T. Slager, 33, can be seen shooting 50-year-old Walter Scott after a confrontation on Saturday, according to The Post and Courier. Slager chases Scott and shoots at him eight times in the video recorded by a passerby and obtained by The New York Times.


Scott was later pronounced dead.

The graphic video raises questions about Slager's original assertion that he used his gun because he felt endangered.

The confrontation started when Slager had reportedly pulled over Scott because of a broken taillight. It escalated into a foot chase as Scott allegedly fled because there were family court-issued warrants for his arrest. Slager pursued Scott into a grassy lot and claimed that he fired his Taser to subdue him.


Moments later, Slager reported on his radio, “Shots fired and the subject is down. He took my Taser,” according to the Times.

Earlier this week, an attorney for Slager said the cop felt threatened after Scott tried to overpower him and take his Taser. Today that attorney told The Post and Courier that he's "no longer involved" in the case.

But first images in the video are of Slager shooting at Scott as he runs away from him. It also appears that Slager drops the Taser near Scott after he was gunned down, according to The New York Times.

Police reports also say that responding officers performed CPR and delivered medical aid to Scott, but the video shows Scott face down in handcuffs for several minutes after the shooting. Another officer shows up and appears to give Scott aid, but never performs CPR.


Scott had been arrested about 10 times in the past, mostly for failing to pay child support or show up for hearings, according to the paper.

"He has four children, he doesn’t have some type of big violent past or arrest record. He had a job, he was engaged," a lawyer for Scott's family told the Times. "He had back child support and didn’t want to go to jail for back child support."
Video Shows Officer Michael Slager Shooting Unarmed Black Man In The Back In South Carolina

Follow the link for a second New York Times video which shows additional aftermath of the shooting. The white cop who shot the man appears to drop an object near Mr. Scott's body. Presumably the taser which he claims Mr. Scott struggled with him for but the video doesn't support. And a black cop who arrived later provided a modicum of medical assistance ... something which the shooter never bothered to do as is so often the case. Police reports claimed that responding officers performed CPR. But the video shows ... not so much. This dude pulled this man over for a broken taillight. And he shot at this unarmed man 8 times as he was running away. Killed him for no other reason than because because he f*cking could. And if the video didn't exist who here would bet their next paycheck that this officer crooked ass cop would be facing murder charges?

OAW

PS: In light of all the nationwide aftermath of the Ferguson situation one would think these cops would back up off this kind of BS a bit. But this just went down 3 days ago in South Carolina. So apparently one would be wrong.
( Last edited by OAW; Apr 7, 2015 at 08:33 PM. )
     
OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: May 2001
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 7, 2015, 11:21 PM
 
     
Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Shaddim's sock drawer
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 8, 2015, 12:38 AM
 
Originally Posted by OAW View Post
[wall of text crits PL for 20,000 damage]
As if I've ever denied the existence of racism. Stick your head back in the hole.
( Last edited by Cap'n Tightpants; Apr 8, 2015 at 12:20 PM. )
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr
     
OreoCookie
Moderator
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Hilbert space
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 8, 2015, 08:21 AM
 
Originally Posted by OAW View Post
And if the video didn't exist who here would bet their next paycheck that this officer crooked ass cop would be facing murder charges?
Not surprisingly, this was how the story was reported before the video surface.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
     
The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 8, 2015, 09:13 AM
 
Example 1A for why some of us don't give officers the benefit of the doubt when a struggle goes deadly. Even when the suspect "had been arrested about 10 times in the past".

I don't know who shot the video, but I would have been like "Holy shit, he's planting evidence!" watching the guy walk the taser over to the body.

BTW, could 'broken tail light' be more cliché?
     
OreoCookie
Moderator
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Hilbert space
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 8, 2015, 10:25 AM
 
Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Example 1A for why some of us don't give officers the benefit of the doubt when a struggle goes deadly. Even when the suspect "had been arrested about 10 times in the past".
As far as I understand, the victim's recent arrests are all due to him being in arrears with child support and failure to appear in front of court. One way or another, I don't think this has anything to do with the present case, because if a cop shoots an unarmed man who is fleeing in the back, then plants evidence and lies about giving cpr, the cop belongs in jail — even if the victim was a hardened criminal. Ditto for his colleagues who see him planting evidence and are seemingly unfazed.

More broadly, many of the deaths documented here in this thread were avoidable if the cops had reacted more prudently and calmly — and with less of a bias towards African Americans. That's the higher-order bid.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
     
Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Shaddim's sock drawer
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 8, 2015, 01:41 PM
 
So what do we do? Until municipalities enact a more stringent vetting process (and periodic psych evals), to weed out the people who shouldn't be cops in the first place, this is going to keep happening. The problem is, very few people want to be LEOs, and of the people who do, too many are authoritarian megalomaniacs. There's a dire shortage all over the country, in no small part due to public perception of police right now and, of course, how dangerous the work is, especially when you look at the shitty pay. In my county we have 3 deputy positions open and zero acceptable applicants. To compound that we have a couple of officers who, IMO, shouldn't even be in law enforcement. One who has PTSD from the military (a mortar blew up next to him, blowing a friend to bits and wounding him) and sometimes he doesn't handle loud noises very well, but he's a heavily decorated combat vet and well liked, so forcing him to retire would be unpopular. The other is morbidly obese, lazy, and thinks he's God's gift to everyone (thankfully he's working dispatch most of the time now).

When active I generally volunteer 8-12 hrs per week, usually to give another deputy some much needed time off, but lately I've been on medical leave. They called and asked if I could cut my leave short and come in, to help fill the gap in patrol. In the state I was in I told them I couldn't do it, I'm still rather gimpy and was taking a substantial amount of prescription narcotics for pain relief (I've since gone off them entirely). So they ended up bringing back retirees to temporarily fill the ranks, yeah, 63-75 y/o men back on the job, most physically screwed up worse than I am.

The bottom line is, society needs and deserves better cops, but the well is dry. Either we; A.) "defang" a lot of the officers we have now (quite literally making them take a taser and pepper spray to a gunfight), B.) make their default ammo non-lethal (my favorite choice, but isn't much better than the first choice), or C.) we scrap most of the departments altogether and go back to a wild west-like scenario, with a much fewer number of police (who are perfectly vetted with heavy armaments and elite training) patrolling larger areas. Maybe a combo of all 3; most being glorified mall security, armed with tasers and rubber bullets, with a comparative few state police for the more hairy situations, knowing full well that lethally armed officers likely won't be available in all situations where they're needed... and Paul Blart can just pray that the convenience store robber he's about to confront doesn't have real bullets either.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr
     
The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 8, 2015, 01:54 PM
 
Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants View Post
So what do we do?
The million dollar question. My advice? Tighten the leash. Form a civilian board for police oversight and start doling out some real punishment for infractions. Punish cops for withholding info (aka the thin blue line). I'm not saying zero-tolerance and pink slips galore, but some pay-less suspensions and temporary reassignments for the less deadly infractions.

You make a fair point that it's a tough job to fill, but I'll counter that they won't start leaving of their own accord. Is a bad cop better than no cop? A philosophical question, perhaps, but the reality is it depends.


Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants View Post
A.) "defang" a lot of the officers we have now (quite literally making them take a taser and pepper spray to a gunfight), B.) make their default ammo non-lethal (my favorite choice, but isn't much better than the first choice)
Well, obviously I'm ok with this on the surface, as somehow cops in Europe manage to survive with these options. Yeah, we're a lot more gun heavy here, so I might be ok with having emergency firearms in the trunk or something. Anything that makes the cop more proactive in thinking about and enacting using deadly force.

Biggest problem: It will never make it past police unions, even if you got politicians on board.


Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants View Post
C.) we scrap most of the departments altogether and go back to a wild west-like scenario, with a much fewer number of police (who are perfectly vetted with heavy armaments and elite training) patrolling larger areas.
It's a bit much to me, but given the current militarization of the police, and their current penchant for using populations as sources of revenue, this isn't all bad.

I don't have any info, but I wouldn't be surprised if police departments are one of those things that never shrink, only grow, and thus a little pruning might be in order.

Edit: Also, good post.
     
OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: May 2001
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 8, 2015, 02:22 PM
 
But it was just a "few bad apples" in the Ferguson PD though ...

Mary Ann Twitty, the former top clerk in Ferguson, Missouri’s municipal court who was fired for sending racist emails revealed by a Justice Department report, said this week that she was far from the only Ferguson government official who traded racist jokes.

“They would have had to shut the doors [if everyone involved was fired] because they went through the whole station, trust me,” Twitty said in an interview with St. Louis' KMOV. “It went on all the time.”


Twitty described herself as “the sacrificial lamb” to be fired after the Justice Department's investigation into Ferguson's police department and municipal court. She said she felt like she’d been “raped” and “thrown under the bus.” She also said that she had received emails that she considered too offensive and that she did not forward those to her colleagues.
Former Ferguson Court Clerk: Racist Emails 'Went Through The Whole Station'

OAW
     
The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 8, 2015, 02:32 PM
 
Hahaha, "I'm not going down alone!"
     
The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 8, 2015, 03:37 PM
 
On second read, she seems clueless to what she's done wrong and seems genuinely bewildered how something everyone was doing could be wrong.
     
OreoCookie
Moderator
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Hilbert space
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 8, 2015, 04:31 PM
 
Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
On second read, she seems clueless to what she's done wrong and seems genuinely bewildered how something everyone was doing could be wrong.
»I wasn't the worst one!« is not really a good defense, and I got the impression she feels as if she is the victim here.
Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
The million dollar question. My advice? Tighten the leash. Form a civilian board for police oversight and start doling out some real punishment for infractions. Punish cops for withholding info (aka the thin blue line). I'm not saying zero-tolerance and pink slips galore, but some pay-less suspensions and temporary reassignments for the less deadly infractions.
I think what's happening now is that people are shining more and more of a light on things that some people knew was going on for years but either had no evidence to support their claims or had no desire to change in the first place. The public's outrage at some of the abuses is a clear indicator that many of the constituents find the current state unacceptable. Now it's time for said public to facilitate that change, and that includes improving working conditions and training as well as to stop the on-going militarization (which you correctly mention in your post) of the police force.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
     
The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 8, 2015, 04:32 PM
 
Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
I got the impression she feels as if she is the victim here.
Did her comparing her situation to being raped give that away?
     
OreoCookie
Moderator
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Hilbert space
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 8, 2015, 04:35 PM
 
Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Did her comparing her situation to being raped give that away?
Well, that was one of the subtle hints which I cleverly picked up on
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
     
The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 8, 2015, 04:58 PM
 
What we know about Michael Slager, the South Carolina officer who shot Walter Scott - LA Times
City records show Slager was accused in September 2013 of using excessive force after the officer deployed his stun gun in a physical altercation during a burglary investigation. In that incident, a burglary victim led officers to an address where the suspect lived. According to witness statements, Slager used his stun gun on a man who was not the burglary suspect, despite the fact that the burglary victim and the man, who was black, told Slager he was not the person police were looking for. One witness claimed that Slager told the man he would be Tased if he did not exit the apartment, and when he did, he was “Tased for no reason” and “slammed” and “dragged” by the officer. The department's internal affairs bureau ultimately exonerated Slager.
     
OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: May 2001
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 8, 2015, 05:05 PM
 
Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Did her comparing her situation to being raped give that away?
Or this little gem?

"It's not like I personally sent them out or forwarded them to the police officers to hurt anyone or be racist, because I’m not racist. I have a black sister, so I mean I am not racist,” Twitty said.
OAW
     
The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 10, 2015, 02:53 PM
 
Police might in trouble after messing with someone's meal-ticket.
NBPA probing police tactics in Thabo Sefolosha's arrest, broken fibula
Sefolosha was injured in the early-morning hours Wednesday outside a Manhattan night club, where a police report states he was resisting arrest. Sefolosha and Hawks teammate Pero Antic were arrested on suspicion of interfering with the efforts of local police to set up a crime scene after the stabbing of Indiana Pacers forward Chris Copeland.
The police are facing new questions about their tactics during the incident, as Sefolosha suffered a season-ending broken fibula, which went untreated overnight and into Wednesday as Sefolosha languished in custody.
     
The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 10, 2015, 03:46 PM
 
Police report details in arrest of Hawks players | www.ajc.com
I am informed by Police Office Caster, Shield #17276, of the Tenth Precinct that he observed the defendant Thabo Sefolosha run in an aggressive manner towards the direction of Police Officer Daniel Dongvort, Shield #3129, of the Tenth Precinct. I am further informed that he observed that Officer Dongvort’s back was facing the defendant at the time.
These black guys and their aggressive charging.
     
Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 11, 2015, 05:03 PM
 
     
 
Thread Tools
 
Forum Links
Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Top
Privacy Policy
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:39 PM.
All contents of these forums © 1995-2017 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Branding + Design: www.gesamtbild.com
vBulletin v.3.8.8 © 2000-2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.,