Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Tiger=June 30, so more Panther Updates coming?

Tiger=June 30, so more Panther Updates coming?
MacGallant
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 17, 2005, 08:57 PM

Since Mac OSX 10.4 is scheduled to come out on June 30. 2005 according to some Mac rumor sites, does that mean there will be more Mac OSX Panther Updates coming (like 10.3.9 and maybe 10.3.10 updates) to look forward to on the meantime?
PowerMacG4 MDD Dual867Mhz, MacOSX 10.5.5 Leopard
2GB Ram, 128mb Radeon 9800 Pro, 80GB HD & 160GB HD
MacBook Black: Core2Duo 2.2Ghz, MacOSX 10.5.5 Leopard
4GB Ram & 250GB HD

yukon
Mac Elite
Feb 17, 2005, 09:19 PM

Rumour is, maybe.

Judging by other releases, maybe one more.

timmerk
Mac Elite
Feb 17, 2005, 10:16 PM

June 30th is not in the first half.

Agent69
Mac Elite
Feb 17, 2005, 10:35 PM

What I am more interested in is when does purchasing a new Mac get you a free copy of Panther?
Agent69

Webscreamer
Mac Elite
Feb 17, 2005, 10:40 PM

Originally posted by timmerk:
I actually never thought of that Good to hear we won't have to wait thaaaat much longer!
Anyone who would letterspace blackletter would steal sheep. - Frederic Goudy

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 17, 2005, 10:53 PM

I would expect we'll hit .9 that'll be it.

Webscreamer
Mac Elite
Feb 17, 2005, 11:17 PM

Originally posted by Superchicken:
I would expect we'll hit .9 that'll be it.
Well, they didn't get 10.3.8 right, let's hope they do with 10.3.9.
Anyone who would letterspace blackletter would steal sheep. - Frederic Goudy

nbnz
Senior User
Feb 17, 2005, 11:20 PM

Originally posted by timmerk:
How do you figure that? By my counting it is day 181 of 365, which is the first half
iMac, Intel Core-Duo 2GHz, 2GB, 250GB, OS X 10.4
PowerBook 12", 867MHz, 640MB, 60GB, OS X 10.4
iMac G3, 333MHz, 288MB, 6GB, OS X 10.3
iPods: 3G iPod, 1G mini, 1G shuffle, 2G nano

mishakim
Forum Regular
Feb 17, 2005, 11:26 PM

Is the June 30 rumor based on anything other than it being the last day of the first half? (going by months, as is normally done when referring to quarters and halves of the year) It's not a Tuesday, which would decrease its odds.

jzdziarski
Forum Regular
Feb 17, 2005, 11:50 PM

June 30th is the absolute last day in the first half of the year. So in other words, Apple's really fricking behind, and needs all the time they can get to make tiger work.

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Feb 17, 2005, 11:54 PM

Originally posted by Agent69:
What I am more interested in is when does purchasing a new Mac get you a free copy of Panther?
uh, today pretty much guarantees that.

-r.

Dog Like Nature
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 18, 2005, 12:32 AM

Originally posted by Webscreamer:
Well, they didn't get 10.3.8 right, let's hope they do with 10.3.9.
What makes you say that?

Every time there's an OS update, people always say it's the worst ever, but never say why...

╭1.5GHz G4 15" PB, 2.0GB RAM, 128MB VRAM, 100GB 7200rpm HD, AEBS, BT kbd
╰2.0GHz T2500 20" iMac, 1.5GB RAM, 128MB VRAM, 250GB 7200rpm HD

http://www.DogLikeNature.com/

timmerk
Mac Elite
Feb 18, 2005, 01:00 AM

opps, sorry, i was thinking june 30 was just after.

i still didn't confirm i'll just take your word for it :-)

it probably will be in june with the wwdc, maybe itll be released on the day of the wwdc

alphasubzero949
Mac Elite
Feb 18, 2005, 02:15 AM

Originally posted by Dog Like Nature:
What makes you say that?

Every time there's an OS update, people always say it's the worst ever, but never say why...

Ever been to MacFixIt these days?

simifilm
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 18, 2005, 07:36 AM

Originally posted by alphasubzero949:
Ever thought about that people posting there are the ones with problems and are therefore not representative?

I didn't have any problems with the update on two machines, and this was my experience with most of the recent updates.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Feb 18, 2005, 07:43 AM

Tiger could be coming out Monday, and if the situation warranted it, an update to Panther could come on Saturday or Sunday, or even Monday or Tuesday or at any other time.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Agent69
Mac Elite
Feb 18, 2005, 08:29 AM

Originally posted by rjenkinson:
uh, today pretty much guarantees that.

-r.
What makes you say that?
Agent69

Devin Lane
Forum Regular
Feb 18, 2005, 09:44 AM

Originally posted by Agent69:
What makes you say that?
Because EVERY Mac already ships with it?

What you meant was "When does purchasing a new mac get you TIGER," and that is the question we'd all love to know.
-- Devin Lane, Cocoa Programmer

cpac
Professional Poster
Feb 18, 2005, 10:47 AM

Originally posted by Devin Lane:
What you meant was "When does purchasing a new mac get you TIGER," and that is the question we'd all love to know.
In the past this has only been once the official release date has been announced.

What are the WWDC dates this year? We'll definitely get either a Tiger release then, or a hard release-date then.
cpac

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 18, 2005, 11:02 AM

Originally posted by cpac:
In the past this has only been once the official release date has been announced.

What are the WWDC dates this year? We'll definitely get either a Tiger release then, or a hard release-date then.
I believe it starts on June 6th. That's what I was thinking too. Maybe they will annouce that it will be available for pre-order that day and available by the 24th.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

wadesworld
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 18, 2005, 12:11 PM

Ever been to MacFixit ever? Every single upgrade spawns a huge flood of "the update broke xxx" messages and it's been that way since the System 6 days.

Wade

Turnpike
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 18, 2005, 01:13 PM

I would like a 10.3.9 so I can get the benefits of 10.3.8 without giving up the relative silence of my DP G5. I've yet to see a post from somebody with a rev A DP G5 say their fans didn't start acting up...

As for the "people come here to complain, so we get a skewed view theory", I think that's a good general rule. However, when you see a lot of forum regulars complaining about something and no people saying "I have the same set-up and don't have this problem", perhaps it is time to take it seriously.

Agent69
Mac Elite
Feb 18, 2005, 02:09 PM

Originally posted by Devin Lane:
Because EVERY Mac already ships with it?

DOH! I meant Tiger.
Agent69

piracy
Mac Elite
Feb 18, 2005, 02:32 PM

Originally posted by jzdziarski:
June 30th is the absolute last day in the first half of the year. So in other words, Apple's really fricking behind, and needs all the time they can get to make tiger work.
Um. Wow.

First of all, June 30 is nothing more than a rumor of someone's GUESS at Tiger's release date.

Second, Apple has always said that Tiger will be released in the first half of 2005, period. If it comes out ANYTIME within the first half of 2005, which it will, it is, by definition, "on time".

Third, Apple is not in any way, shape, or form, "behind", at all. Tiger is shaping up beautifully.

Fourth, 10.0, 10.1, 10.2, and 10.3 all shipped on the 24th day of the month. That, of course, doesn't mean anything, but it's something to think about.

Fifth, WWDC is June 6-10. WWDC will be hugely focused on Tiger. No software developer can predict a ship date months in advance, but they can set targets. If the opening of WWDC - the major yearly developers conference - is June 6, and the sole main focus of WWDC will be Tiger, would it not make sense for Tiger to ship at or before WWDC, especially given that the event is 4 months away?

Jeez. MacRumors.com posts complete crap on "Page 2" about how Tiger's release date is June 30, with no sources - not to mention logic - behind that claim, and you idiots eat it up hook, line, and sinker.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 18, 2005, 03:37 PM

Originally posted by piracy:
Um. Wow.

First of all, June 30 is nothing more than a rumor of someone's GUESS at Tiger's release date.

Second, Apple has always said that Tiger will be released in the first half of 2005, period. If it comes out ANYTIME within the first half of 2005, which it will, it is, by definition, "on time".

Third, Apple is not in any way, shape, or form, "behind", at all. Tiger is shaping up beautifully.

Fourth, 10.0, 10.1, 10.2, and 10.3 all shipped on the 24th day of the month. That, of course, doesn't mean anything, but it's something to think about.

Fifth, WWDC is June 6-10. WWDC will be hugely focused on Tiger. No software developer can predict a ship date months in advance, but they can set targets. If the opening of WWDC - the major yearly developers conference - is June 6, and the sole main focus of WWDC will be Tiger, would it not make sense for Tiger to ship at or before WWDC, especially given that the event is 4 months away?

Jeez. MacRumors.com posts complete crap on "Page 2" about how Tiger's release date is June 30, with no sources - not to mention logic - behind that claim, and you idiots eat it up hook, line, and sinker.
That is why I was saying that a release date would probably be annouced during WWDC and most likely released a week or 2 after it is annouced. Not all od us eat it up hook line and sinker.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

Ron Goodman
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 18, 2005, 04:53 PM

I have a Rev A G5 DP, and yes, the fans rev up from time to time since 10.3.8. It doesn't happen all that often and only lasts for about 10 seconds when it does. No big deal, and certainly not in itself cause to stay away from 10.3.8.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Feb 18, 2005, 05:41 PM

I suspect that we will not see any more Panther updates unless a serious security bug is found. Apple will be entering crunch-time on Tiger very soon, and is going to want to be as focused on that release as it can possibly get. Panther won't see many or any resources unless it absolutely has to happen.

What's with the constant obsession over OS upgrades, anyway? They happen when they happen, and there's no point in getting all excited over them. I don't intend to single out the original poster in particular; it's rampant in these and other Mac forums. Even the Windows crowd doesn't get this enthused.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

MacGallant  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 18, 2005, 08:10 PM

Originally posted by Millennium:
I suspect that we will not see any more Panther updates unless a serious security bug is found. Apple will be entering crunch-time on Tiger very soon, and is going to want to be as focused on that release as it can possibly get. Panther won't see many or any resources unless it absolutely has to happen.

What's with the constant obsession over OS upgrades, anyway? They happen when they happen, and there's no point in getting all excited over them. I don't intend to single out the original poster in particular; it's rampant in these and other Mac forums. Even the Windows crowd doesn't get this enthused.
I started this thread out of curiosity. I very enthused about speculations about forthcoming OS updates because ever since Apple came out with Mac OSX 10.3.6 Update, an audio bug was introduced that affected many MDD & FW800 owners and with the Mac OSX 10.3.8 update, the audio bug was still unaddressed. I'm just hoping Apple'll come out with another OSX Panther update to finally address the problem before the big leap to Tiger; hopefully Tiger will have the audio bug affecting many MDD and FW800 towers addressed.
4GB Ram & 250GB HD

MacGallant  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 18, 2005, 08:10 PM

sorry double post, admin- please delete this
4GB Ram & 250GB HD

piracy
Mac Elite
Feb 18, 2005, 08:38 PM

Originally posted by MacGallant:
I started this thread out of curiosity. I very enthused about speculations about forthcoming OS updates because ever since Apple came out with Mac OSX 10.3.6 Update, an audio bug was introduced that affected many MDD & FW800 owners and with the Mac OSX 10.3.8 update, the audio bug was still unaddressed. I'm just hoping Apple'll come out with another OSX Panther update to finally address the problem before the big leap to Tiger; hopefully Tiger will have the audio bug affecting many MDD and FW800 towers addressed.
Just out of curiosity, have you ever reported this bug to Apple?

And no, I don't mean "look here, there's tons of threads on {the Apple discussion forums | MacFixIt | MacNN forums | something else that doesn't matter}".

I mean directly to Apple, via http://connect.apple.com/.

Sign up for a free ("Online") membership, and report it as a bug at http://bugreporter.apple.com/.

Devin Lane
Forum Regular
Feb 18, 2005, 09:20 PM

Originally posted by Turnpike:
I would like a 10.3.9 so I can get the benefits of 10.3.8 without giving up the relative silence of my DP G5. I've yet to see a post from somebody with a rev A DP G5 say their fans didn't start acting up...

As for the "people come here to complain, so we get a skewed view theory", I think that's a good general rule. However, when you see a lot of forum regulars complaining about something and no people saying "I have the same set-up and don't have this problem", perhaps it is time to take it seriously.
The fans on my Rev A Dual 2.0 are just as quiet with 10.3.8 as with 10.3.7. I also didn't get hit by the server problem. Must be lucky. Have you tried fixing it by perm repair, PRAM reset, etc?
-- Devin Lane, Cocoa Programmer

Agent69
Mac Elite
Feb 18, 2005, 11:08 PM

I guess that I have been lucky in that I haven't noticed any problems with updates on Mac OS X. Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if we see one more update.
Agent69

MacGallant  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 18, 2005, 11:12 PM

Just out of curiosity, have you ever reported this bug to Apple?

And no, I don't mean "look here, there's tons of threads on {the Apple discussion forums | MacFixIt | MacNN forums | something else that doesn't matter}".

I mean directly to Apple, via http://connect.apple.com/.

Sign up for a free ("Online") membership, and report it as a bug at http://bugreporter.apple.com/.
Yeah, I actually reported the MDD Audio bug to Apple. I submitted a bug report after other people (at MacRumors.com forum) and I noticed the audio problem from Mac OSX 10.3.6 Update. MDD & FW800 owners from the MacRumors.com forum claimed they submitted a bug report as well. The audio bug is still present in OSX 10.3.8. Why Apple hasn't worked in a fix since OSX 10.3.6 is a mystery to me.
4GB Ram & 250GB HD

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Feb 18, 2005, 11:58 PM

I think there is enough time for a 10.3.10. X.3.X, but Apple may not want that.
iamwhor3hay

Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 19, 2005, 10:13 AM

Originally posted by Millennium:
What's with the constant obsession over OS upgrades, anyway?
Well, for one, some people like to use their Macs. There are broken things in 10.3.8 preventing people from using their Macs properly (like not having a mouse pointer on your PowerBook screen). Those things have to be fixed. It's not just about obsession, although I I know what you mean, there are people who seem to like upgrades for the sake of upgrading.
( Last edited by Simon; Feb 19, 2005 at 10:23 AM. )

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 19, 2005, 10:48 AM

/off-topic

Nice sig...!

piracy
Mac Elite
Feb 19, 2005, 11:12 AM

Originally posted by MacGallant:
Yeah, I actually reported the MDD Audio bug to Apple. I submitted a bug report after other people (at MacRumors.com forum) and I noticed the audio problem from Mac OSX 10.3.6 Update. MDD & FW800 owners from the MacRumors.com forum claimed they submitted a bug report as well. The audio bug is still present in OSX 10.3.8. Why Apple hasn't worked in a fix since OSX 10.3.6 is a mystery to me.
You can check the status of your bug by logging back in to bugreporter, and you can also append notifications that the issue is still present in 10.3.{x}.

macintologist
Professional Poster
Feb 19, 2005, 11:22 AM

June 24th, 2005.

It's always the 24th of the month.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Feb 19, 2005, 11:47 AM

Originally posted by Simon:
Well, for one, some people like to use their Macs. There are broken things in 10.3.8 preventing people from using their Macs properly (like not having a mouse pointer on your PowerBook screen). Those things have to be fixed. It's not just about obsession, although I I know what you mean, there are people who seem to like upgrades for the sake of upgrading.
So, you're waiting for something to fix what the last fix broke?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 19, 2005, 11:49 AM

Originally posted by Wiskedjak:
So, you're waiting for something to fix what the last fix broke?
Right.

Actually I've had the no-mouse-pointer bug since 10.3.4 or 10.3.5. I hoped Apple would fix it with 10.3.7, then with 10.3.8, ... You get the picture.

MacGallant  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 19, 2005, 03:57 PM

You can check the status of your bug by logging back in to bugreporter, and you can also append notifications that the issue is still present in 10.3.{x}.
I just checked my Bug Reporter posting and apparently my bug report about the audio bug & MDD/FW800 w/ Mac OSX 10.3.6 isn't listed, so I filed a new bug report about the problem. Thanks for the tip, Piracy!
4GB Ram & 250GB HD

alphasubzero949
Mac Elite
Feb 19, 2005, 11:49 PM

Here's something to chew on re: 10.3.9...

http://www.appleinsider.com/news.php?id=892
The answer to the question of whether there will be a Mac OS X 10.3.9 is "yes," extremely reliable sources tell AppleInsider. Apple has reportedly been working on the Mac OS X 10.3 Panther update for a few weeks -- the ninth such update that will be released for the OS since its inception. Details of the update are yet unknown, but sources claim that Apple has begun seeding builds of the system internally. External seeds of the update are expected within the next couple of weeks. More details will be published when they become available.

Forum Links
Forum Rules