Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Loud fans on my MacBook

Loud fans on my MacBook
playtech1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 29, 2006, 05:20 PM

I bought my MacBook (my first Mac ever, not even an iPod) Friday and I can't be happier. Up until just a few minutes ago it was silent except for the occasional "moo" which doesn't bother me a bit. I was playing a SNES rom in full screen for about a minute when I was shocked by the LOUD fan noise. It was steady until I closed the game then it slowly went away after a minute.

Have any of you had the same experience? Is this reason to call Apple?

Also the laptop didn't feel any hotter than normal while this was going on.

Commodus
Mac Elite
May 29, 2006, 06:18 PM

I wouldn't worry too much, but see what happens if you play other games in the emulator, different emulators, or just different games altogether. It's possible the emulator was "confusing" the fan system, but I haven't heard of similar reports.

And there's no surprise that the MacBook wasn't hotter than normal: the fans were on!
24-inch iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz

pat++
Mac Elite
May 29, 2006, 06:24 PM

The emulator was probably using the CPU a lot which caused the fan to wake up... I guess it's pretty normal. One question though: which emulator do you use? Is this an univesal binary version? If not, Rosetta is adding some more work on the CPU to run PowerPC code which might explain why the fans had to be turned on.
Also, was your MacBook on a flat table?
( Last edited by pat++; May 29, 2006 at 06:30 PM. )

Yakov
Dedicated MacNNer
May 29, 2006, 06:36 PM

SNES emulation is NOT very taxing on a modern computer... computers have been easily emulating SNES since Pentium II/III days. You should be able to multitask several programs with SNES with no problem...

what's the name of your emulator, by the way?

playtech1  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 29, 2006, 06:53 PM

I'm using snes9x to emulate. It did it with 2 differnet games. I did have a few other things going on in the background though. I was just wondering if it was wierd since everyone is complaining that their fans never came on and they were "too hot".

Hi I'm Ben
Mac Elite
May 29, 2006, 06:56 PM

I'm also pretty positive SNES9x is not a Universal Binary, would explain why it taxes your computer so bad.

Even on my G4 iBook it eventually kicked the fans on after some time of playing.

Forum Links
Forum Rules