Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Macbook on repair should I demand replacement??

Macbook on repair should I demand replacement??
JasonBourne
Jun 15, 2006, 05:31 PM

Just got my macbook on macbook for 8 days and I requested repair on june 7th and my laptop arrived on the 9th for repair. They started working on Monday and today the repair is on hold waiting for parts. I got the macbook with dual 2.0 and my harddrive was upgraded to 80GB. I upgraded my ram to 2GB. I have'nt talk to them, I don't know how long should I wait for parts. I'm about to call them right now. If I request for replacement my 2GB ram will not be replaced since I put them myself.

freakboy2
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 15, 2006, 05:44 PM

uh.. so wait?

darth-vader000
Forum Regular
Jun 15, 2006, 09:21 PM

Your wording of the your post is a little awkward so I'm not quite following it
"macbook on macbook for 8 days?"

As far as I can tell
you purchased a Macbook, a BTO flavor (upgraded HD and RAM)
its in the shop for repair and now your wondering if you should demand a replacement?

Well first off what is the problem and why are considering demanding that you get a replacement. Typically you cannot do an exchange if you purchased a BTO computer.

JasonBourne  (op)
Jun 15, 2006, 11:55 PM

I received my macbook on May 30th and I already encountered a problem after 7 days. I have series of kernel panic and sleep problem. My computer wen't to sleep eventhough I'm still using it and sleep is turned off on system preference and will not wake up. It came to point that my mac book screen won't show anything on reboot and no chime. So my mac book was sent for repair on the 8th of June and they received it on the 9th. They start working on my computer on June 12 and apple rep told me it would be like 3-5 business day turn around time. Since they ordered parts for my computer it will take longer. Just wandering if anybody send their computer and wait for parts and how long would it take.

By the way I installed my own ram.

Regarding replacement I don't mean brand new one maybe a repurbished macbook so I can have a working computer sooner.

Originally Posted by darth-vader000
Your wording of the your post is a little awkward so I'm not quite following it
"macbook on macbook for 8 days?"

As far as I can tell
you purchased a Macbook, a BTO flavor (upgraded HD and RAM)
its in the shop for repair and now your wondering if you should demand a replacement?

Well first off what is the problem and why are considering demanding that you get a replacement. Typically you cannot do an exchange if you purchased a BTO computer.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 16, 2006, 12:11 AM

Since Apple overnights all of their service parts, I would think you'll have it back by the end of next week, and probably sooner. And it'll come back with your RAM.

As for a replacement, no chance (unless they can't repair it).

All glory to the hypnotoad.

eatinwokout
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 16, 2006, 12:52 AM

Usually when you request service the rep asks for modifications don't they? I have an RA and box on the way, the rep made sure to ask what my specs were so that I received the same specs on the return.

JasonBourne  (op)
Jun 16, 2006, 05:20 PM

I just found out its the logic board. So my 7 days old computer needs a brand new logic board. I hope this is not a a sign. My friend's ibook was repaired 3 times for logic board problem. He does not have extended warranty and his ibook is over 3 years old but he received a brand new ibook a week before the mac book came out.

Lucky8
Forum Regular
Jun 19, 2006, 10:13 AM

This is surprising that the logic board is fried on a 8day old MacBook.
What temp was it running?

JasonBourne  (op)
Jun 19, 2006, 05:56 PM

Sorry no idea. I mac book is not as warm my powerbook 12 867.

Originally Posted by Lucky8
This is surprising that the logic board is fried on a 8day old MacBook.
What temp was it running?

WinsOBoogi
Senior User
Jun 20, 2006, 12:24 PM

I have the exact same problem.

Whenever I close my lid, go back to the machine and open it, I always get kernel panics. ONLY during this event does this happen.

Until I zapped my PRAM, the comptuer's battery DRAINED while it was shut down. But, the first problem still exists.

Apparently, it's my logic board.

Mine's BTO, as well. Sucks.

I know that the logic board is just a part, and when a new one is put in, it should be fine. But, there's something unsettling about it. You know?

JasonBourne  (op)
Jun 21, 2006, 10:17 PM

Still waiting for parts. The apple rep told me that this is a new hardware, parts might take a while.

Originally Posted by WinsOBoogi
I have the exact same problem.

Whenever I close my lid, go back to the machine and open it, I always get kernel panics. ONLY during this event does this happen.

Until I zapped my PRAM, the comptuer's battery DRAINED while it was shut down. But, the first problem still exists.

Apparently, it's my logic board.

Mine's BTO, as well. Sucks.

I know that the logic board is just a part, and when a new one is put in, it should be fine. But, there's something unsettling about it. You know?

darth-vader000
Forum Regular
Jun 22, 2006, 06:29 AM

After reading this thread and seeing that apple is not able to provide a quick turnaround on your repair, I'd try to elevate the issue and ask for a replacement. I find it incredible that they would have your MB for almost a month and tell you that you have to wait longer for parts. I'd (calmly and politely) say its a DOA unit and give you a new one.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 22, 2006, 09:17 AM

Yep, I agree, even though before I said no chance of replacement.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

JasonBourne  (op)
Jun 30, 2006, 05:06 PM

They replaced the logic board on the 28th still with more problems.They ordered another parts. I requested a replacement. They will be replacing it with a brand new mac book 80gb 2 GB of ram. Just hoping I won't encounter another problem.

Forum Links
Forum Rules