Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > two questions before buying a MBP.

two questions before buying a MBP.
bhdz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 16, 2007, 04:47 AM

Dear members,
Sorry in advance for posting a stupid question:
If I buy a MBP, will I be able to swap the classic HD for a NAND hard-drive in the future, or a Hybrid Hard Drive in a short-term period?

Also I question whether I should wait for iLife 07 before buying, supposing iLife 07 would go out together with Leopard in October?

Your comments would greatly be appreciated. Thank you.

SVass
Mac Elite
Jun 16, 2007, 01:48 PM

No one can answer your first question accurately. If you need a spreadsheet, then wait for iLife 07 and use NeoOffice or Appleworks in the meanwhile. sam

OreoCookie
Jun 16, 2007, 03:14 PM

Of course we can answer the first question accurately: you can buy flash-based `harddrives' now and put them in your MacBook or MacBook Pro if you so desire. They work just as is. However, the capacities you get are limited and they are expensive. Very expensive. But they will work.

Regarding the other question: my suspicion is that iLife '07 will be Leopard-only and Apple will include it for free in any new machine once they release Leopard in October.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 16, 2007, 03:19 PM

Re iLife - I have not heard that it will be Leopard only, I can't imagine Apple will not want to sell it to people not upgrading OS.

OreoCookie
Jun 16, 2007, 03:42 PM

Well, it's only a suspicion which isn't based on any evidence I have. Apple has been quiet about it and I just guessed it had to do with Apple not wanting to let anybody know any of Leopard's new features.

In any case, Apple will include the latest version of iLife when you purchase a new Mac … 
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jun 16, 2007, 03:47 PM

A flash hard drive (SSD) will work fine; OSX will treat it just like any other disk. The hybrid hard drive (HHD) will also work, but I don't think you'll get the full potential performance/power advantage of it in today's OS X.

Abbas
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 16, 2007, 04:12 PM

How hard is it to change the HD on the MBP? I know its quite easy on the MacBook, but I think the Pro requires some significant surgery, right?

-a

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 16, 2007, 04:50 PM

It's not at all for an amateur. The process is relatively straightforward, but not something one would do for fun, if you get my meaning. It seems to be on the same level (though a bit longer a process) as replacing the drive in a G4 iBook. Lots of different kinds of screws, lots of delicate pieces interwoven, etc. You get the picture.

And since Apple considers the hard drive in an MBP to be NON user replaceable, doing so yourself voids your warranty.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

SVass
Mac Elite
Jun 17, 2007, 12:56 PM

I am curious about why some seem to think that iLife will be given away in the future when they charge for it today. sam

Commodus
Mac Elite
Jun 17, 2007, 01:17 PM

SVass:

More than a little off-topic. You want one of the software sections of the forum and to create your own thread.
24-inch iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz

bhdz  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 18, 2007, 12:50 PM

Thanks for your responses !
My main concern about the HDD ans flash drives is because I intend to keep the portable computer for 4-5 years if that's possible; the prospect of new drive formats looks interesting in this hypothesis for me.
If only we knew a bit more about iLife 07, then buying in October would be more interesting for some of us I guess.
I still wonder whether I should choose 128 vram or 256 vram: I don't edit movies personally; the only thing I could think of is using an external display; I don't even play games; I like watching movies on my present Tibook 667. The only 'serious' application I really need is Adobe Lightroom.

Forum Links
Forum Rules