Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 2.2 or 2.4

2.2 or 2.4
silverflyer
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 15, 2007, 03:09 PM

is there any reason I should get the 2.4? I am here at the school Apple store and they wont have a 2.4 until the 27th, but have 2 2.2s left.

Both 15 inches.

A bit slower processor, 120gb drive and only 128mb of ram on the GPU, does it really make a difference?
Mac Pro Dual Quad 3.2ghz, 4gb ram, 4x 1 Terabyte hdd's, 8800GT, 30inch Samsung display running OSX Leopard Server
15 inch Macbook Pro Unibody and Apple 24 inch LED Display.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2007, 04:58 PM

Yes, they make a difference, but not enough to notice with most apps. A smaller drive fills sooner, and drives start to slow down when they reach 50% full, which is only 60 GB on the 2.2 box. Games and Aperture probably perform better with more graphics RAM. Faster boxes have longer life cycles. Since laptops are limiting as compared to desktops anyway, I prefer the strongest boxes - but I am a graphics pro. Folks not pushing heavy graphics apps can do fine saving a few bucks. If cost does not matter, wait 2 weeks.

Sooner or later Bare Feats MacBook Pro "Santa Rosa" - 3D Gaming may have comparison test results.

-Allen Wicks

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Jun 17, 2007, 09:12 AM

Since you cannot "upgrade" the processor or video memory you're going to be locked into that configuration until you replace the laptop. If you plan on keeping the laptop more then a few years the higher configuration may handle the demands of future apps a little better.

Commodus
Mac Elite
Jun 17, 2007, 01:22 PM

It depends on what you're doing. If this isn't a serious gaming or video editing rig, don't spend several hundred dollars more for things you might not even appreciate. But if the system will have to do absolutely everything, consider the 2.4.

Also, don't forget: if you order an iPod at the same time, you get $199 off (equal to a free 4GB iPod nano).
24-inch iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz

cambro
Senior User
Jun 17, 2007, 05:20 PM

The "high end":
9% faster processor
33% more disk space
25% more $$$$$

If you pay Apple for the 160GB HD to remove that difference, you are still paying 20% more for a 9% faster clock speed, which will be about 5% real word performance boost in only a few circumstances. The graphic memory will do you no good.

silverflyer  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 18, 2007, 01:41 PM

Thank you for the replies, I am going to go with the 2.4 15 incher, and I will go to an apple store and get it instead of the school apple store.

I need it fast because my previous Macbook Pro 2.16 ghz 15 inch model, was stolen.
Mac Pro Dual Quad 3.2ghz, 4gb ram, 4x 1 Terabyte hdd's, 8800GT, 30inch Samsung display running OSX Leopard Server

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Jun 18, 2007, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by cambro View Post
The "high end":
9% faster processor
33% more disk space
25% more $$$$$

If you pay Apple for the 160GB HD to remove that difference, you are still paying 20% more for a 9% faster clock speed, which will be about 5% real word performance boost in only a few circumstances. The graphic memory will do you no good.
Thanks for that link. Hopefully those benchmarks save many a geek some hard earned money.

Yeah, the extra 128 VRAM suckage is annoying. Only 3 more FPS? Sadness, seeing as how that difference is ONLY due to the faster processor. The average person (like me and probably you) will never notice a difference. Save yourself $500, upgrade the hard dive, and then blow that extra cash on fancy hats. Or maybe an nice big external hard drive. And a hat. You can never have enough hats.

I guess if you have a game laptop you'd better get the 17in.

And a hat. Seriously, its really sunny out today. You'll burn.

iChelle
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 20, 2007, 02:30 AM

^ hehe

i just got a 2.2 and run a lot of CS2/Macromedia apps and it runs very well. i'm very happy with it!
Powerbook G4 17" 1.67Ghz 2GB 120GB SD DL. Mmm. Sexy.

silverflyer  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 20, 2007, 05:09 PM

Incase no one noticed, I have bought the 2.4 ghz 15.4 inch macbook pro.

I like it and the LED screen very much. Now, I need to get 4gb of ram in this bad boy.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Jun 20, 2007, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by silverflyer View Post
Incase no one noticed, I have bought the 2.4 ghz 15.4 inch macbook pro.

I like it and the LED screen very much. Now, I need to get 4gb of ram in this bad boy.
Cool, enjoy your MBP. I'm getting close to ordering one myself. I'm probably going with the 2.4 for the reasons why I originally posted about - you cannot easily upgrade cpu/gpu so why not get the fastest.

Forum Links
Forum Rules