Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Are Canada and the United States losing their Identities?

Are Canada and the United States losing their Identities? (Page 8)
Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 7, 2011, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
But this is a completely different argument now.

You're not arguing against "unproportional, unbalanced immigration" - you're saying that some immigrants haven't had proper checks and/or education.

Or is that what you mean? That our current rate of immigration is okay, as long as better screening processes are put in place?
Not just that, the numbers need to be cut down for Asia by at least half and more priority acceptance of other locations to restore the balance of multiculturalism. More Europeans, Africans, South Americans need to be accepted to restore balance.

Uhhh, what?

Plenty of other major cities in Canada "suffers" those problems.
I didn't say they don't happen in other Canadian cities. Ok poor choice of words. I should have said it hasn't become a epidemic problem. Edmonton and Calgary might get a couple street racing crashes in a year. Maybe even a death in a year. Metro Vancouver during the street racing peek in 2007 was recording 45 crashes in a year, and 9 deaths including a cop T boned that year or 2006. Gay bashing assaults are not kept in separate statistical information with Stats Canada. Its grouped in with hate crimes. Looking at numbers of assaults from gay support sites in Calgary and Toronto plus news articles on the subject it appears Calgary and Toronto get about half a dozen reported cases per year. That is absolutely impressive for Toronto which has 5 Million people through the metro. Toronto shows a hate crime rate of 1 per 100 000 people which means around 50 or so. Dont know if thats Toronto Proper or all of Metro Toronto. So 6 out of the 50 are gay bashings vs 37 recording gay bashings in Vancouver in 2008. A decade early the number was 5 in 1998 for the entire GVRD (Metro Vancouver) of 11 News stores I can find of the gay bashings this year, 10 out of 11 of them are East Indian males.

Some of the questions that should be asked of immigrants before allowing entry
- Do you have a problem with Homosexuals
- Do you understand that woman have equal rights and you can't force them to do anything including arrange marriage.
- Do you understand that you can't kill another person regardless of traditions or religious laws during disputes with family, friends and strangers.
- All people are equal and are to be treated equal no matter what color skin, language they speak.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

freudling
Banned
Jan 10, 2011, 05:12 AM

Major organized crime in Canada with record operations... examples of it linked to Asia:

Canadian border guards find $4-million of heroin in rugs from Pakistan | Posted | National Post

Largest counterfeit cigarette shipment in BC:

http://www.allvoices.com/s/event-748...N0b3J5Lmh0bWw=

[Canadian Border Services Guard and] Abbotsford resident Jasbir Singh Grewal was arrested last month after the U.S. sought his extradition in the smuggling conspiracy, involving as much as $75-million worth of cocaine.

Border guard accused of aiding traffickers

Herion:

In Canada, consumer demand for heroin remains low but consistent in comparison with demand for most other illicit drugs. Organized crime groups, mainly in BC and Ontario, are involved in the heroin market, importing heroin primarily from Southwest Asia and Latin America. Heroin enters Canada primarily through marine and air ports concealed either within commercial cargo or carried by individuals within their baggage or on their person.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 13, 2011, 06:14 PM

...and?

Your posts are amongst the dumbest and most obviously xenophobic I've seen.
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jan 13, 2011, 09:15 PM

...and?

He's clearly drawing our attention to the story about Metro Vancouver’s Rob Shannon who pleaded guilty to using motor homes and other vehicles to move millions of dollars worth of cocaine and marijuana back and forth across the border.

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 13, 2011, 11:33 PM

...and?

Your quick to accuse him of being xenophobic, have you thought about at least asking him if he has a hatred or fear of foreigners?

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 13, 2011, 11:41 PM

You guys really should just start a new thread about crimes since thats ALL any one seems to be posting about....

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2011, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by Athens View Post
Your quick to accuse him of being xenophobic, have you thought about at least asking him if he has a hatred or fear of foreigners?
Your right, he's probably one of those people thats xenophobic and openly admits it

freudling
Banned
Jan 14, 2011, 04:29 PM

Your right, he's probably one of those people thats xenophobic and openly admits it
Yes I am xenophobic. I hate everyone, even myself...

Seriously, read the information and stop making personal attacks.

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2011, 04:35 PM

I hope your joking...

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2011, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by freudling View Post
Seriously, read the information and stop making personal attacks.
You mean the repeated links that show that people with non-white skin and non-European sounding names are doing criminal activities?

Those links? That's the information you're talking about?

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2011, 09:49 PM

You mean the repeated links that show that people with non-white skin and non-European sounding names are doing criminal activities?

Those links? That's the information you're talking about?
Now who's being Racist.....

Everything he had been pointing to has been non Canadian Born Immigrants, new comers. Being Canadian is not exclusive to White European named people.

A famous and NON-WHITE Canadian born person. Notice his visible ethnic heritage is East Indian. If you think this thread is about whites vs non whites then your pretty sad.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2011, 01:44 PM

I didn't say they weren't Canadian - I said they weren't white and had non-European sounding names.

Reading comprehension: you need more of it.

freudling
Banned
Jan 19, 2011, 02:25 PM

Bloc proposes ban on ceremonial daggers in Parliament

See Denis Lortie after skimming the above.

freudling
Banned
Jan 19, 2011, 02:30 PM

More corruption with East Indians in our government:

Former solicitor-general Kash Heed facing possible criminal charges

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 19, 2011, 07:49 PM

More corruption with East Indians in our government:

Former solicitor-general Kash Heed facing possible criminal charges
This thread needs to be locked. This racism is just disgusting.

Welcome to my ignore list, freudling.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 19, 2011, 07:52 PM

The Bloc is playing to their base. This ban will never happen.

freudling
Banned
Jan 19, 2011, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
The Bloc is playing to their base. This ban will never happen.
I thought you had me on your ignore list...

And it's not racism. Not even close. Don't even come on here and expect to get sympathy from people playing the race card. It's not going to work. None of us are racist, and none of anything posted here implies racism. After 8 pages of discourse, I'm not going to explain our premises to you... go ahead and go back and read through it.

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 20, 2011, 02:01 AM

This thread needs to be locked. This racism is just disgusting.

Welcome to my ignore list, freudling.
Kinda forced to agree with you.... I never intended for this to turn into a racist thread. Debating cultural issues was the intent and immigration mistakes. Not posting every bloody crime a person of ethnic decent commits.

freudling
Banned
Feb 8, 2011, 03:08 PM

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 8, 2011, 06:22 PM

Typical, I hope they get hit with $10 000 per tree.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Feb 9, 2011, 09:13 PM

Now you're a tree hugger?

I can only imagine your reaction to the story if the tree cutter were a business or wealthy Caucasian that needed to cut the trees down to expand the business and the big mean city (under the influence of environmentalists) was trying to stop them ... oh, look! At the end of there are a few examples of exactly that!
( Last edited by Wiskedjak; Feb 9, 2011 at 09:19 PM. )

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 10, 2011, 12:46 PM

And it's not racism. Not even close. Don't even come on here and expect to get sympathy from people playing the race card. It's not going to work. None of us are racist, and none of anything posted here implies racism.
...still stand by this statement?

Does it make any difference to your internal logic that the only obvious racist in this thread seems to have firmly sided with you...?

Cold Warrior
Feb 10, 2011, 05:34 PM

Guys, don't forget about Rule 8...links plus commentary are needed, less paste-and-run.

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 10, 2011, 07:47 PM

English Language Services for Adults - WelcomeBC

Well the government finally decided to fix some of the problems. They are now offering free Adult English classes. I personally think this should have been done 15 years ago. If you are going to target a group and open the door wide open and make it really easy for them to come here, better have the programs in place to help them adapt. The Ironic thing is most of the site is in English and doing the questionnaire for eligibility is in English. Makes me wonder how many of those who need it can even understand the site to get it. Government is such a epic failure..... First thing should be a "What language do you speak" in a few dozen languages.

freudling
Banned
Feb 18, 2011, 05:33 PM

Cold Warrior
Feb 19, 2011, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
Guys, don't forget about Rule 8...links plus commentary are needed, less paste-and-run.
freudling, do you have any commentary to add?

freudling
Banned
Feb 21, 2011, 03:03 PM

Here's some grass roots commentary on what I and some others feel strongly are real problems for Canada. Yes, some of this is just bickering, but there's all kinds of this stuff swelling on the net. 1 Blog post, ~1300 comments for just one city? That's pretty big.

Why Vancouver sucks - Topix

Another Blog dedicated to unhating Vancouver:

“i hate vancouver” searches top the charts � Holly and Holly

Vancouver most livable city? Look at the comments from people that actually live in Vancouver:

Vancouver remains world's most livable city: survey

I use Vancouver as an example because I feel and with some data we've discussed already that it's a glowing example of what's wrong with immigration in Canada.

Helmling
Mac Elite
Feb 21, 2011, 03:30 PM

Both Nations are made up of immigrants but it seems to me more and more people are moving here expecting us to adapt to them. They never learn English they expect everything to be available in there languages. They expect us to adapt to there cultures. I walk into a East Indian store and all the products and signs are in Punjab, same goes for some Asian stores. Street signs in communities made up of mostly East Indians are now in both English and Punjab, same for some Asian communities. Kids that are born here don't learn any English at all until they hit school and end up in ESL classes like the newly arrived immigrants. Translators are needed so they can take the road test and get a drivers license with out even knowing a single word of English. Muslims expect there woman to keep there heads covered even though this is supposed to be a free country. Seems like our cultures, our values are always under attack now to be PC.

Any one else seeing this?
Yes, I see this.

I see this complaint whenever I look back in history. It's the common lament during every major wave of immigration in this country's history.

freudling
Banned
Feb 21, 2011, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by Helmling View Post
Yes, I see this.

I see this complaint whenever I look back in history. It's the common lament during every major wave of immigration in this country's history.
We have massive immigration problems that are very real and have serious consequences for this country. It's unprecedented immigration and an idealistic form of multi-cultuaralism.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: Thursdsay, February 17, 2011

CANADIANS SHOULD BE CONCERNED ABOUT RECORD HIGH IMMIGRATION LEVELS

The Centre for Immigration Policy Reform is deeply concerned about record high immigration levels.

On February 13 Immigration Minister Jason Kenney announced that Canada received more than 280,000 permanent residents last year - a level not seen for more than 50 years and reached only once in the past century. In addition, in 2010 we accepted more than 182,000 temporary foreign workers and 96,000 foreign students, a majority of whom are expected to try to stay here permanently. Yet out of the total 558,000 newcomers, only 48,815 qualified as skilled immigrants.

This is no doubt a major reason why the economic performance of recent immigrants has fallen far below that of earlier immigrants or Canadian-born. A study to be published soon by two members of CIPR's Advisory Board, Herbert Grubel and Patrick Grady, will show that the cost to Canadian taxpayers because of lower earnings, higher unemployment and higher poverty rates for recent arrivals is well over $15 billion a year.

It is clear that mass immigration increases the overall size of the population but does not improve the living standards of Canadians in general. The negative effects of mass immigration on the quality of life of those living in large cities are particularly onerous because of pressures on health care services, educational facilities, the environment and increased congestion. One of Canada's leading experts on immigration and labour markets, Professor Emeritus Alan G. Green of Queen's University, has pointed out that the current policy of using immigrants to solve economic problems is no longer valid, that we now have the educational facilities to meet Canada's needs for skilled workers and that the import of such individuals constitutes a substitute for the education of domestic workers.

Despite all of this, Canada continues to maintain the highest per capita intake of immigrants in the world - but without any real justification for doing so. Jason Kenney has shown leadership in attempting to deal with some of the problems in human smuggling and the program under which parents and grandparents can be brought to Canada. It is now time for him to address the excessively high levels of immigration and temporary foreign worker intake.

While most Canadians are well-disposed towards newcomers, they are increasingly concerned about burgeoning numbers, particularly in the larger cities, and the attendant costs and problems of integration. Unless Canadians demand that the government reduce intake to much more modest levels, however, they should expect nothing to change.

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 22, 2011, 02:17 AM

Originally Posted by Helmling View Post
Yes, I see this.

Please show me any major city at any time in North America in the last 150 years where the immigration of ONE kind of population exceeds 65% closing in on 70%.

Its one thing to have a lot of immigration its another when you have only one kind. Let more Africans in, Let more people from the Middle east in. Let more Europeans in. No complaints on balanced immigration. Unbalanced is a big problem.

freudling
Banned
Feb 22, 2011, 07:34 AM

All told, did we really let in almost 500,000 immigrants last year alone? Our population is only 32 million. This is insane. To anyone wanting to come on here and be an armchair critic... like people in the US or other places who don't actually live here, it's gotten so bad that I'm thinking of leaving the country. Sadly, people my age are just now starting to talk about multi-culturalism really messing things up. We feel displaced, both socially and politically. And if that doesn't get you, high real estate prices will. And there's evidence that the real estate in places like Vancouver is high because of offshore owners.

I'll say it again. Canada has 10 times more expatriates per capita than the US. And, over 60% of immigrants each year are Asian.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Feb 22, 2011, 10:26 AM

Please show me any major city at any time in North America in the last 150 years where the immigration of ONE kind of population exceeds 65% closing in on 70%.

Its one thing to have a lot of immigration its another when you have only one kind. Let more Africans in, Let more people from the Middle east in. Let more Europeans in. No complaints on balanced immigration. Unbalanced is a big problem.
The founding of almost every major city in North American was probably accompanied by immigration rates exceeding 100-200%. I'm fairly certain the original inhabitants of NA had much the same complaints as you.

freudling
Banned
Feb 22, 2011, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
The founding of almost every major city in North American was probably accompanied by immigration rates exceeding 100-200%. I'm fairly certain the original inhabitants of NA had much the same complaints as you.
Post the data to support this. Otherwise...

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 22, 2011, 02:16 PM

And they got pretty screwed too. So we should learn from past mistakes

BTW the founding of a city is not the same as taking over a city and drastically changing it over a very short period of time. And this is a issue with Immigration/Government not the immigrants themselves.

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 7, 2011, 12:18 PM

Richmond home prices skyrocket - British Columbia - CBC News

This has been another long standing issue in the Vancouver area which is now becoming more and more unaffordable. With the rate of immigration we have and the lack of space home prices have become unaffordable for those of us lucky enough to be born here. When I was a kid the average home price was $200 000 but today the average price for a 40 year old typical home is $650 000.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 7, 2011, 01:27 PM

So now we're gonna blame home prices on immigration?

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 7, 2011, 01:37 PM

So now we're gonna blame home prices on immigration?
Now? For years it has been blamed as the culprit to increasing costs of home prices. This is not a new or now thing.

From 1981 to 2006 the city grew by a Million people in a span of 25 years. With the land constraints of being a coastal city surrounded by mountains and the US Border, it leaves little space for actual growth and the result is land value sky rocketing. Vancouver is the most expensive city in North America property wise.

Things are starting to boil over though as more racial graffiti and attacks are occurring. We are at a tipping point which is going to explode soon. Government needs to change the policies before things get out of control. They won’t because it’s to dam profitable. http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...-graffiti.html

freudling
Banned
Mar 9, 2011, 02:31 AM

There's a ton of stuff out there on home prices linked to immigration. I actually live here and have direct knowledge also. It's not uncommon for rich immigrants to just outbid people by substantial amounts and buy up a half dozen condos in a new building. They then rent them out and don't live in the country.

Pricing = what the market will bear. Pretty simple.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 9, 2011, 02:32 AM

Pricing = what the market will bear. Pretty simple.
In the US: Pricing = what the Chairsatan can print.

-t

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 9, 2011, 02:24 PM

So when a forign market can bear more then what the locals can the locals are just plain out of luck..

freudling
Banned
Mar 9, 2011, 08:23 PM

So when a forign market can bear more then what the locals can the locals are just plain out of luck..
Yup.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Mar 9, 2011, 08:57 PM

Yes, I believe that's how capitalism works.

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 10, 2011, 05:19 AM

Funny, you see capitalism, I see invasion, forced relocation and displacement.

PS, Race def does not play into this because ethnic families that have been here for generations are complaining and are also being forced out. This is purely a immigration issue with regards to unchecked unbalanced numbers which isn't sustainable no different then how a cancer cell eventually kills its host through unchecked and unbalanced and uncontrollable growth.

High immigration numbers results in burdens for the education system, Health care system, water and sewage systems, road systems. Takes time for Cities to adjust to a influx of people. Slow growth allows for utilities and services to keep up. Fast growth requires expensive fast upgrades. IE the Port Mann and No 1 free way expansion is a 3 Billion dollar project just to keep up with 10 years of car growth. I don't think we can afford billions on all the infrastructure every decade with out the long term contribution of the tax base over time which can sustain lower growth numbers. On the housing issue this includes inter-provincial immigration as well as the foreign immigration.

And there are many examples of this all over the world. Just because ours is a high income economic class vs farmers in 3rd world nations, the same results occur. Poverty and hardship.

Metro Vancouver's homeless

Metro Vancouver's school over crowding, some schools dont have enough land for the number of portables needed to keep up

Metro Vancouver's grinding traffic

Transit Over Crowding
PS how many Asians in that photo? Almost looks like the photo is from China? I count 12

Hospital overcrowding, so bad that a Tim Hortons coffee shop at the Hospital got turned into a Triage room from the overflow
( Last edited by Athens; Mar 10, 2011 at 05:46 AM. )

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 10, 2011, 05:56 AM

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 10, 2011, 06:03 AM

Oh this is gold, a Canadian Born Chinese person saying it all in the first 2 minutes

YouTube - Henry Yu - Our Future as a Half-Chinese City: Lessons from History

His focus is actually on Asian immigration. Maybe this will make the picture a big clearer.

freudling
Banned
Mar 10, 2011, 06:04 AM

PS, ...
This is a good post. I'm so sick of people on the Internet... armchair critics... who just troll around and dismiss real problems in the world. It just erodes the Internet as a forum for legitimate discussion.

I see these problems here everyday because I live here. It's very real. Like you said, trying to keep up the infrastructure is challenging. Our Transit system is reeling trying to figure out where they're going to get the money to pay for all that expansion they did for the Olympics last year.

And the funny thing is, there's still a ton more expansion they need to do to call it a proper subway.

Using the Tim Hortons as a Triage for the hospital... I read about that the other day. What's new around here...

And the housing. Why the hell should anyone have to pay $400,000+ for a standard 550-650 square foot 1 bedroom apartment in Vancouver? Or a million dollars for a half-decent house...

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 10, 2011, 06:14 AM

Freudling, watch the second youtube video I posted from Henry Yu.

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 10, 2011, 06:22 AM

You know this guy makes a good point about something. Vancouver isnt suffering from a immigration problem but is suffering from a migrants problem. Immigrants move to a new location, immigrate and learn and become part of the culture they are moving to. Migrants move to a location but never adapt and live as a subculture of there own separate from the host culture. He talks about how much of the population is migrants here for school, work but never intend to adapt and naturalize making them migrants. So I have to agree that we are being over run with migrants.

Oh he talks about how Vancouver is the Switzerland of North America where Asians send their kids for education but first need to migrate not immigrate here to save on schooling costs and instead of Swiss banks its investments in real-estate our version of a Swiss bank account.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Mar 10, 2011, 09:13 AM

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Mar 10, 2011, 09:16 AM

This is a good post. I'm so sick of people on the Internet... armchair critics... who just troll around and dismiss real problems in the world. It just erodes the Internet as a forum for legitimate discussion.
Meh. The same could be said about the armchair critics who whine about a world changing fast than they're able to keep up with and demanding a larger government to step in and regulate the undesirables away.

Forum Links
Forum Rules