Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Need Help with Old ibook

Need Help with Old ibook
Photomaster91
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 25, 2007, 09:23 PM

Hi, this is my first post and I need some help. I've had a clamshell Ibook for about ayear now, got it from my aunt when i turned 14. Anyway, the power chord has stopepd working, it wont charge or run the ibook, and I was wondering if the new ibook cables work with the clamshells. If not does anyone know where to find an old cable? Thanks I've been going crazy w/out my laptop PLEASE HELP

gooser
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 25, 2007, 09:52 PM

other world computing has the cables and no, the ones for the newer ibooks won't work. different sized plugs.
imac g3 600
imac g4 800 superdrive
ibook 466

SLiMeX
Senior User
Apr 25, 2007, 10:15 PM

Both clamshells I have owned (and currently owned) had this happen to them. I found that, after much deliberation, that it was in fact the logic board, NOT the power adapter. Unless you have a third party adapter, the original should work just fine.

In the end, I re-soldered the power input to the logic board, and everythign worked like new.
BlacBook | 2.0ghz core duo | 2x320gb | 2gb ram | mba superdrive

mBurns
Forum Regular
Apr 25, 2007, 11:08 PM

Slimex--

I own a clamshell iBook also. I don't use it much (very light use), is there a way to be careful not to unsolder the charging adapter? What steps can I take? I love my clammy and wouldn't want anything bad to happen to it!
MacBook Pro | 2.16 Ghz CD | 100 Gb HD | 2 Gb RAM | 10.4
iBook Clamshell | 466 Mhz | 60 Gb HD | 576 Mb RAM | 10.4

SLiMeX
Senior User
Apr 25, 2007, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by mBurns View Post
Slimex-I own a clamshell iBook also. I don't use it much (very light use), is there a way to be careful not to unsolder the charging adapter? What steps can I take? I love my clammy and wouldn't want anything bad to happen to it!
I really dont know, to be honest. I would only assume that this comes over time. However, you'll first start noticing signs of distress when the power adapter will only turn green/orange sometimes. For example, when you turn it clockwise it'll turn green/orange, but only sometimes. It'll have to sit just right to work.

Just be nice to your clamshell. After all, they are 8 years old (at the oldest), 6 years old at the youngest!
BlacBook | 2.0ghz core duo | 2x320gb | 2gb ram | mba superdrive

iwannacube
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 30, 2007, 09:32 AM

On the Clamshells, the dc-in board (you plug your ac adapter into) plugs into the logicboard. When I upgrade a Clamshell, I always resolder the dc-in board (very easy to do), as so many of them come loose after time. Check ifixit.com as they have instructions for disassembly of your clamshell! 1 of the 3 solder joints always look weak, and after you resolder it, it should last forever!
Mac Intel Mini, 2.16GHz, 2gb ram, DL-SD, 160gb int. hdd.
MBP 17", 2.16GHz, 2gb ram, DL-SD, 120gb hdd.
Cube 1.2GHz, 1gb ram, 80gb hdd.
Clamshell iBook, 366MHz, 572mb ram, 100gb hdd, DL-SD.
AirPort Extreme "n". Samsung Color Laser CLP-510n

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 30, 2007, 02:07 PM

Agree with iwannacube, as far as the parts go. The power connection isn't soldered on - it's a four-pin connection that just sits in a connector on the logic board.

If the DC in-board is going out, you can replace that pretty easily (after removing the 236923094 to dismantle your iBook...). If the connection on the logic board is shot, that's when the solder would come into play.

I've got two second revision 300MHz clamshells with still-functioning DC in-boards, FWIW.

To the OP : what do you mean by "it's not charging"? Have you tried pulling the battery and just running off the power adapter? Those clamshell batteries didn't last too long - most original ones are dead by now and won't hold a charge anymore. Just a thought...
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

Photomaster91  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 5, 2007, 09:13 PM

i meant the cord will not power it at all, and the battery ran dow neventually, it just needs to be charged, my cousin has one of these and we tried his cor on mine and my cord on his, its the cord

rjt1000
Senior User
May 5, 2007, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by Photomaster91 View Post
i meant the cord will not power it at all, and the battery ran dow neventually, it just needs to be charged, my cousin has one of these and we tried his cor on mine and my cord on his, its the cord
Clamshell iBook AC adapters are available on eBay
( Last edited by rjt1000; May 6, 2007 at 09:04 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules