Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > imac: no turning the monitor off

imac: no turning the monitor off
jeff k
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2009, 12:08 PM

Got first imac. IN past with G4 &5, I would run stuff overnight and turn my monitor off.
With imac is there a way to turn monitor off? or it just has to be on all night? thanks.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 11, 2009, 12:22 PM

Check the Energy Saver pane in the System Preferences.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Dec 11, 2009, 12:26 PM

Ctrl-shift-eject turns off a Mac's screen.

reader50
Administrator
Dec 11, 2009, 12:49 PM

Maybe that key sequence only works with built-in screens. It did nothing on my PowerMac G5 under Tiger.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 11, 2009, 01:47 PM

Nor my MacBook Pro, must be an iMac feature.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Dec 11, 2009, 02:20 PM

It works on my MBPs, MBs, and my Mac mini. I'll have to try the iMacs and MPs at work on Monday. Maybe it's a Leopard feature.

jeff k  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2009, 05:14 PM

Thanks simon.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Dec 12, 2009, 08:29 AM

Glad it worked for you.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 12, 2009, 08:53 AM

I'm sure in Leopard I could make the eject bezel appear on the screen whether there was a disc in the superdrive or not. Doesn't seem to be working in Snow Leopard.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Dec 12, 2009, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
It works on my MBPs, MBs, and my Mac mini. I'll have to try the iMacs and MPs at work on Monday. Maybe it's a Leopard feature.
Control-Shift-Eject works fine in Snow Leopard on my iMac. It also works fine in Leopard with my Cube (and Samsung LCD).

Originally Posted by seanc View Post
I'm sure in Leopard I could make the eject bezel appear on the screen whether there was a disc in the superdrive or not. Doesn't seem to be working in Snow Leopard.
The eject image overlay does not appear on my Leopard 10.5.8 Cube unless there is a disc in the SuperDrive.

reader50
Administrator
Dec 12, 2009, 07:36 PM

I'd expect the eject overlay to always appear for a tray-loader, since you have to open it with Eject.

jeff k  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 12, 2009, 08:53 PM

Eug you are on imac?
Do you calibrate your monitor? I'm a photographer, so I'm curious if you bother and if have recommendations regarding this.

EndlessMac
Senior User
Dec 12, 2009, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Ctrl-shift-eject turns off a Mac's screen.
Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Check the Energy Saver pane in the System Preferences.
If the shortcut didn't work then you can always set the Display Sleep time to sleep earlier in your Energy Saver preference. The shortcut works for my MBP by the way.

Originally Posted by jeff k View Post
Eug you are on imac?
Do you calibrate your monitor? I'm a photographer, so I'm curious if you bother and if have recommendations regarding this.
If color accuracy is important to you then you should calibrate your monitor. I have yet to use a monitor that didn't need calibration out of the box for color accuracy. I like using ColorVision's Spyder calibrator but there are other good companies out there. I don't have an iMac so I don't know how well it works on those computers but it works well on my external monitor and laptop screen.

jeff k  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 12, 2009, 10:58 PM

thanks, if anyone has recommendations on calibrating an imac let me know.
also does sypder have a dialogue box that says, "your monitor is now calibrated"
is there a visual que for this accomplished?

reader50
Administrator
Dec 13, 2009, 12:29 AM

Yes. When the calibration is done, they tell you to remove the sensor. Then they provide a before / after button for you to admire the difference.

jeff k  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 13, 2009, 02:17 AM

the reason I ask it that the before can often look as cool as the after. I would really love something that really says: your monitor is definitly calibrated -- some universal standard.
For example is there some universal something that can say if my monitor is caibrated accuratey right now?

RedStar
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 13, 2009, 02:32 AM

Even though you already found a solution there is an alternative for turning off the iMac screen.

In Sys Preference > Screen saver > Hot Corners - You can set a hot corner for putting the display to sleep. This did the trick for me.

EndlessMac
Senior User
Dec 13, 2009, 04:29 PM

the reason I ask it that the before can often look as cool as the after. I would really love something that really says: your monitor is definitly calibrated -- some universal standard.
Well you can always check manually if you are using a different calibration profile in your Display section of your System Preferences. Select the Color tab and see which profile if selected. When you create a new calibration profile you are allowed the option to save it with whatever name you want to call it so if that is highlighted then you know that you are using your new profile. You can then manually select different profiles in that menu to see the differences between them.

In that same Color window you also have the choice to use Apple's built in calibration tool. It's not the best calibration software but it's free. A hardware calibration tool like ColorVision's Spyder is more accurate. If the default profile is pretty close to accurate then your new color profile won't be that different.

For example is there some universal something that can say if my monitor is caibrated accuratey right now?
Short answer no. Color accuracy changes every time your ambient lighting changes so if you are working in a room with a lot of ambient sunlight then it will change from morning to night. You either have to calibrate your monitor for several times to adjust to the different lighting changes or work in a room that has more consistent lighting.

In order words you calibration your screen to make it accurate at your given time and current lighting conditions. There is no color accuracy detector tool which seems like what you are asking for. You have to trust that your calibration product is doing its job correctly and you will know it is when you are able to match your prints with your screen.

You really should search Google and read up on calibration and color accuracy. Most of your questions would be answered by simply learning the process.

Thorzdad
Dec 13, 2009, 05:02 PM

If you're looking to calibrate a monitor, but can't spring for a proper hardware tool, I heartily recommend SuperCal. As far as software calibration tools go, it's far, far, far better than Apple's sad and ancient calibration tool. SuperCal is shareware, of course.

Forum Links
Forum Rules