Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Advice on undoing partition after Bootcamp

Advice on undoing partition after Bootcamp
n2_R6
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 26, 2008, 06:54 PM

Hello. I have my 1st macbook and I ran the bootcamp assistant not knowing what it was (I really wasn't thinking sorry). Before i realized what it was doing it partitioned my HD creating a separate 5.2 Gig chunk. Thinking this would get rid of it, I reformatted the partition titled "bootcamp HD." Now I have come to realize that I can't use Bootcamp Assistant to undo the patition.
I have a Time Machine back-up on a 750 Gig external HD. I was wondering what the best way is to return my Macintosh HD to a one partition drive. I booted up using the install disk and "restored my system from Time Machine" but obviously the partition was still there. Since the computer is relatively new is the best way to delete my HD completely? Also once i do this will i be able to re-load my data from Time Machine?
What steps do i take to reformat my drive to one partition and recover my data with Time Machine?

ibook_steve
Mar 26, 2008, 08:56 PM

What does Boot Camp Assistant say when you try to remove the partition?

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

n2_R6  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 26, 2008, 09:41 PM

The startup disk cannot be partitioned or restored to a single partition.

The startup disk must be formatted as a single Mac OS Extended (Journaled) volume or already partitioned by Boot Camp Assistant for installing Windows.

n2_R6  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 26, 2008, 10:15 PM

Just to let everyone know i fixed the problem and here's how i did it:
1. put in Leopard install disk 1 and turn off computer
2. turn on computer and hold c down after gong
3. go into disk utility and select the drive above where it says "mac HD and bootcamp hd" (i was just selecting the mac HD not the toshiba .... whatever the name of the HD is)
4. go into the partition tab and select bootcamp on the left and delete the partition.
5. then drag the Mac HD bar down to the bottom otherwise whatever was allotted to bootcamp will be empty space.
6. close the installer and restart

I know this may be common sense to most of you but i really did spend most of this morning figuring it out. I posted the solution incase someone has the same problem I did.

Also, I did not have to do any type of data recovery on OS. It did not erase any of my files.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Mar 27, 2008, 03:27 AM

IIRC you don't need to use Disk Uility, the Install DVD or reboot at all.

Just launch Boot Camp Utility and select remove Windows partition. The regained space is added again to your main partition.

n2_R6  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 27, 2008, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
IIRC you don't need to use Disk Uility, the Install DVD or reboot at all.

Just launch Boot Camp Utility and select remove Windows partition. The regained space is added again to your main partition.
As i previously mentioned... after using Boot Camp utility i erased the bootcamp HD therefore it wouldn't let me remove the "window's partition" in boot camp utility. i was unable to find my solution on any forum and figured it out myself. i hope it helps someone. the boot camp utility does not recognize a partition after being modified in any way. Thanks for the tip though

read previous posts in thread...........
( Last edited by n2_R6; Mar 27, 2008 at 06:34 AM. )

Cold Warrior
Mar 27, 2008, 10:54 AM

Dragging the partition tab has been a point of confusion before. It doesn't seem as intuitive as Apple may have thought it would be.

Forum Links
Forum Rules