Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > High School Reunions

High School Reunions
design219
Professional Poster
Sep 5, 2009, 10:35 PM

My 30th comes up next week, and I just couldn't care less. I made lasting friends in college and after, but the few people I really liked in high school I kept in touch with.

After joining facebook a few weeks ago, I've discovered the old high school people are still just as droll as I thought they were back then. They want to talk about ancient football games and post senior trip photos and talk about teachers they didn't like. GOD, it's like they haven't grown up.

Does anybody care about high school's glory days? Any good or bad experiences with reunions?

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Sep 5, 2009, 11:07 PM

I just had my 20th and was the co-coordinator. Had a great time sharing memories. I guess YMMV.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 5, 2009, 11:26 PM

Never been to a reunion. I have one friend whom I've kept in touch with since 1959, and I've run across a couple of high school acquaintances in the 44 years since graduation, but they've never turned into a longer term friendship.

starman
Clinically Insane
Sep 5, 2009, 11:37 PM

We had a tight group, and get together regularly.

YMMV

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 6, 2009, 10:03 AM

I went to a very small high school-there were only about 100 of us in the graduating class-and we've only had one formal reunion. Seems that after the 10 year reunion most of us were too busy with the whole "life" thing... Anyway, we're more than 30 years hence now, and I'm in contact with probably a dozen of the folks I actually liked spending time with in school through (wait for it!) Facebook. I now live half a country away from where I grew up, and I learned through Facebook that one of my classmates (my 9th grade dinner dance date, in fact) lives half an hour away from me. Whodathunkit?

We're sharing what we've accomplished and what we are aiming for, and not worrying about whether one of us is going to drink too much or regret something he/she did that might wind up on YouTube. I think that's a much better reunion than the formal "everyone get together and show off" kind.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 6, 2009, 12:47 PM

I went a private Christian K-12 school with 100 kids in the graduating class (would have been 102, but two girls got expelled about a month before graduation). The kids I went to school with were a bunch of twits. The only reason I'd go to a reunion is to punch a few of them in the face and/or 'nads.

Not that I'm bitter or anything.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 6, 2009, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
I went a private Christian K-12 school with 100 kids in the graduating class (would have been 102, but two girls got expelled about a month before graduation). The kids I went to school with were a bunch of twits. The only reason I'd go to a reunion is to punch a few of them in the face and/or 'nads.
Sounds like a reunion worth attending!

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

Rumor
Sep 6, 2009, 04:25 PM

My ten year will be coming up next year. Being that I went to five high schools by the end of my sophomore year, I will most likely not attend any of them.

I keep in contact in with a couple of people from high school. Mostly exs for some odd reason.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

PB2K
Mac Elite
Sep 6, 2009, 04:54 PM

i'm happy to go to any reunion, all you need to say is "i travel" or "i live abroad" and even the porsche-guys are all ears to that story
{Animated sigs are not allowed.}

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 6, 2009, 05:16 PM

I went to my 30th last month. It was fun.

colourfastt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 6, 2009, 08:20 PM

My 30th is coming up in '11. Didn't go to # 20, but I definitely plan on making this one .... it should be "interesting."

macforray
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 6, 2009, 10:31 PM

It was 35 years for me this year. There was no reunion this time. I only attended my ten year reunion. I was not impressed and have never attended another, even though I still live within ten miles of my Alma mater. I've actually connected with more classmates through Facebook.
macforray

hayesk
Sep 7, 2009, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by design219 View Post
After joining facebook a few weeks ago, I've discovered the old high school people are still just as droll as I thought they were back then. They want to talk about ancient football games and post senior trip photos and talk about teachers they didn't like. GOD, it's like they haven't grown up.
It could be that, but it's more likely they feel the need to keep communicating with their high school friends, but don't really have anything in common anymore. So the only thing they feel they can talk about is high school memories.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Sep 7, 2009, 11:53 AM

My five year was last month. Even if I didn't have a wedding to attend, I still wouldn't have gone. I keep in contact with the people I want from my graduating class of 71 through facebook, and I don't have too much of an interest in catching up with those still stuck in my hometown.

andi*pandi
Sep 8, 2009, 02:30 PM

I went to my 20th. It was kind of fun seeing where people ended up. A lot of the petty clique-ness dissolved and I had lots of nice conversations with people who intimidated me back then. And yes we've reconnected on Facebook too.

However, the only ones I'd email/call directly are the ones I'd email/call directly before--not a lot of indepth friendships rekindled.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 8, 2009, 03:06 PM

I went to my fifth about three years ago. Was quite fun. I don’t really have anyone from high school that I particularly want to avoid (except one person, but she wasn’t there—as I knew she wouldn’t be), so it was mostly just nice to see what directions people were going in.

If there’s one coming up in 2011 for our tenth, I’ll definitely go to that, too.

And either some of you people started high school straight out of the maternity ward, or I’ve misjudged/misguessed a few ages by at least two decades here!

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 8, 2009, 03:17 PM

I haven't been to any of mine. Next year will be the 30th for my class. There aren't too many people I'd want to see anyway. I asked my mom once is had ever been to any of her class reunions. Her reply was " why would I want to any of those a$$holes". My parents are from a small town in northeastern AZ and had maybe 30 people in their respective class. (1950 and '52).

Who are the people attending HS reunions? If you believe media portrayals it's jocks/cheerleaders, cliques/clubs (masque and gavel, etc) and nerds/geeks who want to brag about how successful they've become.
45/47

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 8, 2009, 03:23 PM

^ And whom does that leave out?

We were 24 in my class; about 19 or 20 showed up for the reunion in 2006.

andi*pandi
Sep 8, 2009, 03:31 PM

My folks go to their reunions, it is a gathering point for the friends from then they are still close to. A few years ago they went to their 50th.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 8, 2009, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
We had a tight group, and get together regularly.

YMMV
Same here, we are a tight group of about a dozen, anyone else doesn't matter. My 10yr is coming up in 2011, I doubt I'll be attending.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 8, 2009, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Same here, we are a tight group of about a dozen, anyone else doesn't matter. My 10yr is coming up in 2011, I doubt I'll be attending.
Class-of-2001 high five!

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Sep 8, 2009, 10:44 PM

Seems like many of my old high school friends are on Facebook now. I missed the 10 year because I lived across the country then, but now I live in the same area, so I'll probably go to the 20th in '11. how time flies!

Forum Links
Forum Rules