Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Clamshell iBook

Clamshell iBook
PHoynak
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 21, 2014, 12:02 PM

My wife was given a Blue Clamshell iMac from a friend. What is the most ram I can install in it and what is the highest version of OS X I can install. It has one USB and one Firewire port. It has a 10 GB hard drive but I have a larger one laying around but I think there is a limit to the size that will work on this model.

Is there a good version of Linux that would run on this too? I mainly want tinker with it. It is in perfect condition and it brings back memories to my first Mac which was the very first iBook.

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Jun 21, 2014, 12:05 PM

That will go up to 576MB of RAM tops. The drive is a 2.5-inch ATA model, and is non-trivial to get to. You've really got to be dedicated to old hardware to do this.

Replacing the Hard Drive in a Clamshell iBook

P
Jun 23, 2014, 02:56 AM

The maximum HD size is 128 GB (what hard drive manufacturers like to call 137), and the maximum official OS X version is 10.3.9.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

MacAssemble
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 24, 2014, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
The maximum HD size is 128 GB (what hard drive manufacturers like to call 137), and the maximum official OS X version is 10.3.9.
Actually the maximum OS is 10.4.11 (Tiger) I don't recall if you have to partition the drive so that the boot disk is within the first 8GB or not? It's been a few years since I worked on a Clamshell. I know it's ATA-2.

l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 27, 2014, 10:54 AM

The worst part of this computer is the 800x600 screen resolution. Many apps will not be useable, or will simply refuse to run at all with such a low resolution. It could be fun to play around with, but there really won't be very much this machine can do usefully.

iBook_Clamshell
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 2, 2014, 10:57 PM

To install 10.4, you have to hook up firewire to a laptop that has a DVD drive. 10.3.9 will run much faster. Even with 10.4, you will have a kind-of fast computer that will not play Flash videos and you have to have a little patience when going on the internet or looking at 50 pictures on Preview, but is definitely still usable. If you wait a while, you might see an Intel Core 2 Duo version of the Clamshell come out.
The iBook Clamshell expert.

On the hunt for any unwanted Clamshells.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Sep 3, 2014, 08:40 PM

I have the guts of a 2nd generation iPad which I've been meaning to install in something. A clamshell iBook would actually be a pretty cool iPad case. Mount the iPad in the lid and put a bluetooth keyboard in place the real one. I think I might fit mine in the lid of a flight case but if you want a way to keep the look of the old iBook but make it more useful it could be a nice project.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

ajprice
Professional Poster
Sep 5, 2014, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
I have the guts of a 2nd generation iPad which I've been meaning to install in something. A clamshell iBook would actually be a pretty cool iPad case. Mount the iPad in the lid and put a bluetooth keyboard in place the real one. I think I might fit mine in the lid of a flight case but if you want a way to keep the look of the old iBook but make it more useful it could be a nice project.
Nice, been done here with a wired keyboard and camera connection kit, if its any help or inspiration . iBook Clamshell

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

amiller77
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 5, 2014, 10:13 PM

Rocketfish made this retro claimcase keyboard that has a Clamshell shape to it. It only fits the iPad 1 unless modified somehow. Typing on it now.
http://www.amazon.com/ROCKETFISH-key.../dp/B004MF3EIE

Forum Links
Forum Rules