Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Wireless audio to home theater ........?

Wireless audio to home theater ........?
PowerCube
Forum Regular
Oct 22, 2003, 07:24 PM

I have a Cube, and am in the process of transferring my 300 cd's to an external firewire HD, to be used as a jukebox. I have an M-Audio Sonica Theater to be used as a digital output to the home theater receiver, and the M-Audio has a usb input. I need to know if there is a way to use Airport to transmit to some type of a wireless receiver, which will then output via usb to the M-Audio,( then out via digital to the home theater receiver). Does this make sense? Otherwise, I am going to have to string a lot of cable and a couple of hubs to get the music to go where I need it. What a pain. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Somewhere out there is my sanity..... but I'm not looking for it!

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 22, 2003, 08:29 PM

Wireless always sounds terrible, avoid it if you can.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

PowerCube  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 22, 2003, 09:02 PM

Originally posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker:
Yeah, I was wondering about that, too. I guess its best to stick with "archaic" cables.

Addicted to MacNN
Oct 22, 2003, 09:24 PM

Originally posted by PowerCube:
Yeah, I was wondering about that, too. I guess its best to stick with "archaic" cables.
Do it, they sound better and you can hide the cables. Just a couple hours work but it is worth it.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

talisker
Mac Elite
Oct 22, 2003, 09:41 PM

Wait a minute. I thought you were talking about using airport to stream the mp3 files from your cube to some sort of mp3 playing device connected to your hifi? (Maybe like the SliMP3 ). If you do that then your sound quality won't suffer in the slightest. You also don't need the M-Audio thingy either.

On the other hand, if you're actually playing the MP3s on your cube and transmitting the output to your hifi via some sort of FM transmitter or something, it will indeed harm the sound quality.

PowerCube  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 22, 2003, 09:52 PM

On the other hand, if you're actually playing the MP3s on your cube and transmitting the output to your hifi via some sort of FM transmitter or something, it will indeed harm the sound quality.
Yeah, I'm playing the music from my Cube via iTunes -> usb, to the M-Audio (for surround) -> digital out to the receiver, to be played on my home surround speakers. And the files are aiff, not MP3, as I am not convinced MP3 sounds all that great on quality audio components.

ph0ust
Senior User
Oct 22, 2003, 11:39 PM

Yeah, I'm playing the music from my Cube via iTunes -> usb, to the M-Audio (for surround) -> digital out to the receiver, to be played on my home surround speakers. And the files are aiff, not MP3, as I am not convinced MP3 sounds all that great on quality audio components.
you can use a wireless usb adapter (http://linksys.com/products/product....id=435&scid=36) to connect your sonica to your wireless network. you can find these for like $20 on sale.

ph0ust
Senior User
Oct 22, 2003, 11:42 PM

Originally posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker:
technically this is not possible, since both modes of transport are using tcp. the only determining factor in wireless being worse would be interference. if for some reason you have lots and lots and lots of interference then you might have a problem. otherwise, wireless is going to work just as well as any other tcp transport medium.

PowerCube  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 23, 2003, 12:16 AM

Originally posted by ph0ust:
you can use a wireless usb adapter (http://linksys.com/products/product....id=435&scid=36) to connect your sonica to your wireless network. you can find these for like $20 on sale.
But does it matter that the M-Audio is not tcp addressable? It is also usb bus powered. I was wondering about using one of these things, but wasn't sure of any workarounds for those 2 issues.

Addicted to MacNN
Oct 23, 2003, 12:17 AM

Originally posted by ph0ust:
technically this is not possible, since both modes of transport are using tcp. the only determining factor in wireless being worse would be interference. if for some reason you have lots and lots and lots of interference then you might have a problem. otherwise, wireless is going to work just as well as any other tcp transport medium.
I mean RF wireless. Airport is fine.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

ph0ust
Senior User
Oct 23, 2003, 05:41 PM

But does it matter that the M-Audio is not tcp addressable? It is also usb bus powered. I was wondering about using one of these things, but wasn't sure of any workarounds for those 2 issues.
hmmm... don't know what to tell you. sounds like it is just a usb peripheral, so what you want to do might be a real pain.

if nothing works well you can always go buy a wireless media device to connect to your mac. linksys and smc each make one. they are pretty sweet and cost just a bit over $100.

Forum Links
Forum Rules