Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Maxtor OneTouch ... or Don'tTouch?

Maxtor OneTouch ... or Don'tTouch?
peter_cph
Jun 23, 2004, 09:56 AM

Hello again.

A while ago I had some problems with a 250 GB Maxtor OneTouch external FW/USB drive. Apparently I had a bad cable. For a while the drive worked fine, and i was so happy with it, I bought 2 more. Bummer!

I have had so many problem ... with 2 of them so far. And I wonder if anybody else has experienced similar problems.

First, out of the blue, the drive I have used for storage of copies of my software and a disk-image of my computer plus tons of data wouldn't mount.

I tried to repaid permissions, I tried to fix it with DiskWarrior (3.0.2) and Norton 6 too. No luck. All programs reported directory problems

Finally I started my computer in OS 9 and succeded in mounting the drive.

I formatted (using Apple's Disk Utility on another computer - is there a better formatter?) one of the other Maxtor drives, and connected it to the faulty one ... yes ... wow .. I was succesful ... i copied (overnight) 178 GB of data. However, all the copying was in vane ... it took forever and half a summer - and it appeared all my data was there.

But when I restarted in OS 10.3.4, the faulty dive woun't mount, and the drive with the copied files was holding all 14 top-level folders, but no subfolders and no files at all.

Where did it all go? It was there just a minute ago? Or it seemed to be. And then ... all gone, and I was back to where I started.

OK, i don't have a problem with having problems, as long as they appear logical and solvable. But here I'm totally in the dark. I don' have a clue.

Why did it happen?

How can I prevent it form happing again?

Where did all my files go?

How could all the files be there and then not be there?

Will I ever be able to trust the Maxtor drives again?

Any clues?

Thank you in advance

Peter

PBG3/500 - 512 MB/60 GB OSX 10.3.4 and some Maxtor OneTouch 250 GB drives which may be for sale cheap ....

PowerCube
Forum Regular
Jun 24, 2004, 04:23 PM

I had the exact same issues with an IBM drive in an external firewire enclosure. Ended up getting a new drive under warranty because I found an unbelievable amount of bad sectors when using the PC only disk checking software that came with some other drive I purchased. Actually, I think the software came with the 120g Maxtor that I have inside my Cube! Bit of a pain. Now I have Tech Tool Pro 4 protection turned on, and it saves drive and directory information at certain preset intervals, so if the problems happen again, it won't be a problem. If you can get in under OS9, save all the data, and get the drives warrantied.
Somewhere out there is my sanity..... but I'm not looking for it!

peter_cph  (op)
Jun 24, 2004, 06:33 PM

In an attempt to solve this problem, I attempted to run Disk Utilit again. It failed telling me that the disk could not be made inactive!

So I ran DiskWarrior 3.0.2 again. And now thingsreally started to be spooky.

The disk is named XT-1 (external 1), but was previously named Maxtor_1

I had XT-1 moiunted on thye desktop, but DiskWarrior saw it as Mactor_1 - the name it had prior to the last to formattings.

Now how the h... did that happen?

---

Copying the files under OS9 presents me with another problem. Long filnames are trunkated into something unreadable .... very annoying and confusing

Peter

Forum Links
Forum Rules