Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > what model cell phone do you own? post pics if you like

what model cell phone do you own? post pics if you like (Page 2)
ajprice
Professional Poster
May 10, 2006, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by voodoo
SE K700i
Snap!!

Great little phone.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
May 10, 2006, 07:56 PM

w810i.
we don't have time to stop for gas

starman
Clinically Insane
May 10, 2006, 07:58 PM

w800i

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Sijmen
Dedicated MacNNer
May 11, 2006, 07:45 AM

Nokia 6310i for the last 2 years or so. Time for an upgrade.
Apple Powerbook 17" 1,67 GHz, 2 gig RAM, 100 gig HDD, ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 128MB, Superdrive 8X

villalobos
Mac Elite
May 11, 2006, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by Goldfinger
Is reception really such a big problem in North America ? I hear/read this a lot that people are whining about reception in their area. I've never had a reception problem/dropped call in the past 5 years or so over here nor in other European countries.

I have a K750i.
Go to mountains areas you'll get plenty of dropped calls.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
May 11, 2006, 01:25 PM

Motorola V3x

MRTrauffer
Dedicated MacNNer
May 11, 2006, 06:50 PM

My first cell was the classic Motorola StarTac. And through the years I've switched between Moto and Nokia phones, but have always been impressed with Motorolas flip phones.

I currently own the Black RAZR.

Been with Cingular ever since they bought BellSouth Mobility. I've always had really good coverage with Cingular, and their phone support has always been really good to me.
I gotta have more cowbell.

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
May 11, 2006, 08:30 PM

Wish their Mac syncing support was better, as PocketMac is teh suXXor.
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

Velocity211
Grizzled Veteran
May 11, 2006, 08:49 PM

Just got my SE K800, gonna sell my old K700i

iMac 24" | Core 2 Extreme 2.8GHz | 4GB RAM | 500GB HD
PowerBook G4 15" HR | 1.67GHz | 2GB RAM | 100GB HD
R.I.P 1995 Toyota Supra NA-T

qnxde
Grizzled Veteran
May 12, 2006, 03:31 AM

K750i

You can't eat all those hamburgers, you hear me you ridiculous man?

cenutrio
Mac Elite
May 12, 2006, 03:52 AM

[QUOTE=starman]w800i

Me too

-original iMac, TiPB 400, Cube, Macbook (black), iMac 24¨, plus the original iPod and a black nano 4GB-

EFFENDI
Mac Enthusiast
May 12, 2006, 06:55 AM

I'm on Sprint, handset is a Samsung A900. I must say I do love the formfactor, screen and overall quality of the phone. I stumbled upon a great blog post regarding syncing this phone on OS X which I thought I would pass along.

http://jaxn.org/blog/archives/1361-M...h-Mac-OSX.html
iMac G4 15" 800/512MB/60GB
iMac G5 20" 1.8/768MB/160GB
Mac Mini Core Duo 1.66/2GB/80GB
Mac Pro 2.66/X1900/3GB/3TB /Apple 23" Cinema HD Display

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
May 14, 2006, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by Velocity211
Just got my SE K800, gonna sell my old K700i

Where are you located ? Is it already available in europe ? And how many € ?

I'm interested in buying one. Anybody knows the difference between the K790i and K800i. They both look exactly the same.

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

Velocity211
Grizzled Veteran
May 14, 2006, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Goldfinger
Where are you located ? Is it already available in europe ? And how many € ?

I'm interested in buying one. Anybody knows the difference between the K790i and K800i. They both look exactly the same.
I live in the US, I got it off ebay because it isn't avalible in North America yet. It costed me $450. The K800i has 2 cameras so it can video talk, but it's no use in the US because no service providers support it yet. The K790i/a has only one camera. The K790a will be released in the US this year but the K800i is only avalible in Europe.
i=International (GSM 900/1800/1900)
a=Americas (GSM 850/1800/1900)
iMac 24" | Core 2 Extreme 2.8GHz | 4GB RAM | 500GB HD
PowerBook G4 15" HR | 1.67GHz | 2GB RAM | 100GB HD
R.I.P 1995 Toyota Supra NA-T

Veronica
Forum Regular
May 15, 2006, 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by Peter
w810i.
Me too. Very pleased with it

His Dudeness
Mac Elite
May 15, 2006, 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by MRTrauffer
My first cell was the classic Motorola StarTac. And through the years I've switched between Moto and Nokia phones, but have always been impressed with Motorolas flip phones.

I currently own the Black RAZR.

Been with Cingular ever since they bought BellSouth Mobility. I've always had really good coverage with Cingular, and their phone support has always been really good to me.

Cingular... best phones on the market. Worst cell phone coverage I've ever had. And I've been using cell phone service since before the Moto StarTac came out.

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
May 15, 2006, 05:18 AM

Samsung A840 on Sprint

I wanted the Blade, but my mother managed to kill my A660 (tossed my pants in the wash before I had cleaned it out) before my contract was up, and I didn't have the money to buy a A900 right then and there.

But if Motorola would just offer it's phones on Sprint, I'd probably have a PEBL right now (Damn that phone is sexy)

macintologist
Professional Poster
May 15, 2006, 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by voodoo
SE K700i

V
word

iREZ
Professional Poster
May 15, 2006, 05:10 PM

i owns me a razr as well...

NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

fibroptikl
Mac Enthusiast
May 15, 2006, 08:03 PM

Me: Razr V3c
Dad: Razr V3c
Mom: Razr V3c

ghporter
Administrator
May 15, 2006, 09:22 PM

We have three; my wife's is silver, but my son and I have black RAZRs. We all have the H500 Bluetooth handsfree kit (all in the default color) as well.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
May 15, 2006, 09:57 PM

K750i, upgraded to a W800i with unlimited SMS-space thanks to the wonderful guys at DaVinci Team. Saved me the extra dollars and the horrid orange. If I were to buy one now, I'd go for the W810i. But my solution is pretty much the same thing anyway

Oh, and I made my own dead sexy theme for it too. W800 and K750 owners can download it if they want.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Sep 17, 2006, 09:32 PM

Got me a W810i. I. Love. It.

PurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Sep 17, 2006, 10:19 PM

M600i. 3G, sweet interface, querty keyboard in small design - still waiting on iSync update.

dreamryche
Forum Regular
Sep 17, 2006, 10:25 PM

Moto V551, which sucks giant donkey balls. I want to like it, but the cover loves to break, the speaker connection needs to be cleaned occasionally, the keypad is flakey and the battery life is dismal. I've held off on buying a new phone just in case Apple releases the iPhone, but I may just swing on the new RAZR with iTunes.

cwosigns
Forum Regular
Sep 17, 2006, 10:28 PM

I have an LG VX-8300 for voice calls & navigation, and a Sidekick 3 for email/data.
Chris
2011 MacBook Air, iPhone 4s, iPad 2

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 18, 2006, 12:30 AM

I got an M600i also. This phone rocks simply because of the wicked innovative keyboard. I write a lot of text messages on my phone and with those rocker keys it is so much easier and faster.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

PurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2006, 12:35 AM

SWG: I've so far got around no iSync support by downloading addresses into the phone straight from address book. Calendar I'm ignoring for now, and Bluetooth 3G internet works fine (using MacBook to connect to internet via the phone over bluetooth).

Have you come across any iSync plugins or the like to actual Sync addresses and Calendar?

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 18, 2006, 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by PurpleGiant
SWG: I've so far got around no iSync support by downloading addresses into the phone straight from address book. Calendar I'm ignoring for now, and Bluetooth 3G internet works fine (using MacBook to connect to internet via the phone over bluetooth).

Have you come across any iSync plugins or the like to actual Sync addresses and Calendar?

Nope, same prob here. Thing is it is more than just a plugin and only Apple can do it so until then we are out of luck.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

CleoW
Forum Regular
Sep 18, 2006, 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by MacMan4000
Samsung A900. I love it and highly recommend it.

This is my phone, as well. Great phone---I just wish the battery life was better.
13" MacBook Intel Core Duo- 1GB RAM- 80GB HD| 30GB iPod Video| 1GB iPod Nano

Kr0nos
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2006, 03:19 AM

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet
I got an M600i also...
OT

How's that MacBook working out for you doing PS stuff? I'm thinking about getting one in January, but I'm not sure if I could handle doing any serious work in Rosetta.

Nice phone!

If I change my way of living, and if I pave my streets with good times, will the mountain keep on giving…

PurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2006, 03:23 AM

Originally Posted by Kr0nos
OT

How's that MacBook working out for you doing PS stuff? I'm thinking about getting one in January, but I'm not sure if I could handle doing any serious work in Rosetta.

Nice phone!
Same MacBook as SWG here too (black 2Ghz. 2GB RAM)

PhotoShop is fine for web work in Rosetta - a little bit of a lag drawing the window, but fine for 72dpi work. Think 1Ghz G4.

300dpi work is more tedious, especially when saving as a Photoshop PDF (covert text to outlines). I'm not too concerned, it isn't all *that* much slower than my 12" 1.5Ghz PowerBook that it replaced which ran PS natively.

Kr0nos
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2006, 03:31 AM

Originally Posted by PurpleGiant
PhotoShop is fine for web work in Rosetta - a little bit of a lag drawing the window, but fine for 72dpi work. Think 1Ghz G4.
Heh, that's exactly what I have now, and that's certainly fast enough. I might be doing some DTP work though, but I'm pretty sure I could deal with 300dpi slowness now and then.

This might be even a little bit more OT, but do you know if it could be possible to get an upgrade from from the CS (which I have now) to a stand-alone PS CS3 (when it comes out in Q1 07). I was just thinking about this because I will probably be doing web stuff only from next year on.

If I change my way of living, and if I pave my streets with good times, will the mountain keep on giving…

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 18, 2006, 04:36 AM

My "regular" phone and my international travel phone.

My daily "leash"

My wife's phone
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

molala
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 18, 2006, 07:06 AM

Treo 650

cSurfr
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 18, 2006, 07:49 AM

I've used pretty much all the smartphones out there. . . Treo, 8125, etc and I keep coming back to my unbranded 8700g. A previous poster commented on PocketMac. . I've not had any issues with it myself.

-How pumped would you be driving home from work, knowing someplace in your house there's a monkey you're gonna battle?

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 18, 2006, 10:26 AM

I've tried, but I can't get myself used to the Blackberry. Perhaps it's a lack of touch screen, but I'm not sure. My favorite device is still the PalmOS based Treo line although my poison of choice right now is WM5.

What do you like about the Blackberry over the other mentioned devices?
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Location: Partying down with the Ewoks, after I nuked the Death Star!
Sep 18, 2006, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by driven
I've never been a fan of the blackberry hardware as I thought it was too bulky.

The new Pearl blew me away hardware wise until I used the OS on the walkthrough website. The fonts and OS all looked like it was designed my Microsoft with its jaggy fonts and black and white blandness.

Perhaps it is just the website so if anyone has any screengrabs of the OS on the Pearl please tell me I am wrong.
( Last edited by Landos Mustache; Sep 18, 2006 at 12:08 PM. )

"Hello, what have we here?

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Sep 18, 2006, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Kr0nos
OT

Nice phone!

Depends on what you mean by serious. Luckily I use my G5 for the "serious" work but honestly more for the screen size/rez. Photoshop on a MacBook is ok for web junk but I wouldn't consider print work on it.

Apparently Adobe doesn't officially support PS on a Intel Mac anyway so if you have any problems (and it is a bit buggy) you are SOL.

cSurfr
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 18, 2006, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by driven

Here is how I see it:

Palm OS is extremely unstable, and bluetooth was horrid at best. This was on three Palm Treo's. The OS would crash all the time, and the phone would just reboot itself for whatever reason. When I would try to pair two different bluetooth headsets with the Treo, neither would work, and would only deliver static. I've been told it works great if you buy the "palm brand" headset, but I shouldn't have to do that. My Motos should be just fine (they are with every other phone). The other downside to Palm is that they have decided to change memory with the new Treo 750. No longer is palm using the SD Card that they have supported for years, they've moved to Mini SD. Not a big issue with the falling memory prices, but still it's an extra cost. Push email: requires an exchange server, or a pay service like GoodLink or Cingular Xpress mail (which in all actuality just re-directs your email to your phone and requires a program to be running on your windows machine at all time)

Windows Mobile 5: First off, until recently it was impossible to even sync with the Mac. Also, you can't install any programs unless you can download the actual .cab file itself. More and more companies are providing this now, but there are quite a few that aren't. I still have a Cingular 8125 that I'm actually planning on selling on eBay, and it will fetch a good price, but I found that model to be a little slow. It's all relative though. Push email: Requires an exchange server to work. I don't have an exchange server at home, nor do I care to use the free service from mail2web, I'd rather people see my email coming from my true address, not theirs. . There is no other way for push email on Windows Mobile that I've read.

Blackberry: It does what it's designed to and it does it perfectly. I have GMail and my .Mac sent straight to my handheld, and it's pretty much instantaneous. I'm always connected to friends, family, etc. The OS is quick, few if any quirks and the ability to run other carriers' OS is helpful as well. Cingular is on release .192 of the OS still whereas others like Vodafone and T-Mob are on .482 (there is actually a newer one as well). Bluetooth works well and EDGE is fast enough to check the weather, stocks, etc. And I can still open word, excel, etc docs without having to install any 3rd party software. I missed the touchscreen for a couple days, but you get used to the jog dial quickly.

It's all about personal preference, but the Blackberry is definitely the most Mac-Like phone on the market. Everything just works. And with PocketMac for the BB being free now, it syncs with iCal, Addy Book, Stickies, etc. without a hitch.

cs

edit: Oh, and as far as service plans go, Cingular offers the PDA unlimited (for the Treo and WM5 devices) at 44.99 a month and the BB Personal unlimited (used for your .mac, hotmail, whatever) for 29.99 a month. So the BB is quite a bit cheaper in the long run.
-How pumped would you be driving home from work, knowing someplace in your house there's a monkey you're gonna battle?

cybergoober
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2006, 12:04 PM

I recently acquired an Alltel Moto RAZR V3c in addition to the Treo 650 I posted earlier.
( Last edited by cybergoober; Sep 18, 2006 at 02:04 PM. )

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Sep 18, 2006, 12:07 PM

This news is scary stupid about the Pearl:

BlackBerry Pearl won't ring in your pocket - Engadget

©öñFü$íóÑ
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 18, 2006, 12:13 PM

Motorola V551

It's -SLOW- as hell on the following areas:

*launching/running java apps and games
*loading menus
*rendering picture/movie previews on screen
*writing pictures/movies to memory
*not enough storage space for movies/pictures/games/java apps
*slow, slow, SLOW internet connections/downloads/uploads, no matter where i am

Other areas that need work:

*maybe a type of cover for where the USB/power cable connects to the phone
*smaller, but more powerful antenna
*longer battery life

Don't bully me, I got an Uzi... HOO-HAH!

cSurfr
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 18, 2006, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Landos Mustache
This news is scary stupid about the Pearl:

BlackBerry Pearl won't ring in your pocket - Engadget

Supposedly turning the sensitvity down on the trackball is a temporary solution until RIM releases a software update.

hondo
Sep 18, 2006, 01:29 PM

Sony W810i here as well. The best phone I have had so far.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 18, 2006, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by Peter
w810i.
I really like this phone. I wish I had it over the w900i which is far too bulky.
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

Andy8
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2006, 07:42 PM

Treo 650 until the iPhone arrives

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Sep 18, 2006, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by AppleJockey
Me too, and I love it.
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

Stratus Fear
Senior User
Sep 18, 2006, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by ©öñFü$íóÑ
Motorola V551

It's -SLOW- as hell on the following areas:

*launching/running java apps and games
*loading menus
*rendering picture/movie previews on screen
*writing pictures/movies to memory
*not enough storage space for movies/pictures/games/java apps
*slow, slow, SLOW internet connections/downloads/uploads, no matter where i am

Other areas that need work:

*maybe a type of cover for where the USB/power cable connects to the phone
*smaller, but more powerful antenna
*longer battery life
Yeah, that phone is based on a platform from late 2003 (Neptune LTE) that Motorola milked just a little too much. The newer stuff coming out in the form of the new KRZR is supposed to be much better, since it's actually a completely new platform this time, as I've heard.

Myself, I've got a Motorola v3x, and I love the phone. So much faster than the older Motorolas, and haven't had a problem yet (cept for a battery that died prematurely, which happens sometimes I guess). It's got 64MB of internal memory, and a memory card slot. About time I had some decent storage internally, and now I even have a 1GB MicroSD card

hookem2oo7
Senior User
Sep 18, 2006, 10:11 PM

SLVR L7 w/iTunes (that I haven't used once)

Forum Links
Forum Rules