Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Anyone else upset by US date format on new .Mac webmail?

Anyone else upset by US date format on new .Mac webmail?
kennethmac2000
Senior User
Oct 27, 2006, 03:32 AM

Why do Apple do it? Don't they realise there is a whole world outside the US?

No-one in Europe uses - or even understands why anyone would want to use - the MM/DD/YYYY date format, yet Apple doesn't give us a choice.

Furthermore, we also don't understand what the point of the 12-hour clock with AM/PM indicators is when there's a perfectly good system known as the 24-hour clock which avoids duplicating hour numbers.

Again though, no option for this in .Mac webmail!

torsoboy
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2006, 03:41 AM

Nope, doesn't bother me. You are buying/using a product from an American company and complaining that it tells the date and time the American way? *gasp*

Paco500
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2006, 03:49 AM

Nope. Not bothered.

RevEvs
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2006, 04:08 AM

To be fair, yes its a US company, but they are worldwide with offices/stores etc etc in europe and everywhere else.

And also, it doesnt take very long at all to add an option to have the date formatted correctly (I develop for a huge multilingual system, and we allow any data format, it isnt hard).

revs
I free'd my mind... now it won't come back.

PurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2006, 04:12 AM

Originally Posted by torsoboy View Post
Nope, doesn't bother me. You are buying/using a product from an American company and complaining that it tells the date and time the American way? *gasp*
And Sony should distribute all their products with only Japanese text and instructions?

Andy8
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2006, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by PurpleGiant View Post
And Sony should distribute all their products with only Japanese text and instructions?
Exactly

Atheist
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2006, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by torsoboy View Post
Yes ... Apple is an American company. But one that specifically markets it's products throughout the world. I'm not sure your argument is entirely valid. I feel it's a oversight on their part.

Am I to presume the prior version of .Mac webmail supported customized date/time formats?

alligator
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2006, 08:33 AM

I think this is a very sloppy coding oversight. We, in America need to think of our friends overseas.

starman
Clinically Insane
Oct 27, 2006, 08:43 AM

I never understood the European way anyway. You read from left to right, I'd like to know the MONTH before I know the DAY anyway. Seems more natural.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 27, 2006, 08:47 AM

We don't use the slash in Germany for the date, but the order is actually correctly in DD/MM/YY.

k squared
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 27, 2006, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by kennethmac2000 View Post
Why do Apple do it? Don't they realise there is a whole world outside the US?

No-one in Europe uses - or even understands why anyone would want to use - the MM/DD/YYYY date format, yet Apple doesn't give us a choice.

Furthermore, we also don't understand what the point of the 12-hour clock with AM/PM indicators is when there's a perfectly good system known as the 24-hour clock which avoids duplicating hour numbers.

Again though, no option for this in .Mac webmail!
Have you sent Apple feedback?

analogika
Posting Junkie
Oct 27, 2006, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
I never understood the European way anyway. You read from left to right, I'd like to know the MONTH before I know the DAY anyway. Seems more natural.
That argument makes complete sense if you turn it around, as well:

You read from left to right, I'd like to know the DAY before I know the MONTH anyway. Seems more natural.

Or alternatively:

You read from left to right, I'd like to know the YEAR before I know the MONTH anyway. Seems more natural.

Fact is, the two conventions which make sense are Year - Month - Day or Day - Month - Year. All else is just habit.

Edit: How about following your convention and writing time as MIN:SEC:HOUR as well?

mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2006, 09:31 AM

Nope doesn't bother me
Michael

starman
Clinically Insane
Oct 27, 2006, 09:35 AM

Because knowing the month first allows me to know what time of year it is first.

"May 25", to me, says "Springtime" before I know the day of the month.

"25 May" means I have to read both words first. I can't see that as being natural for anyone.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Oct 27, 2006, 09:41 AM

Because knowing the month first allows me to know what time of year it is first.

"25 May" means I have to read both words first. I can't see that as being natural for anyone.
Ah but to me, 25th of October says to me "this week", while 18th says to me "last week". I'm far more likely to be working with dates within the next few weeks than months.

Come on, man, just admit to it being a habit and a personal preference derived from that. You simply cannot make a solid case for MM/DD/YY - there is no logical basis that makes it more sensible than other notations.

starman
Clinically Insane
Oct 27, 2006, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
Ah but to me, 25th of October says to me "this week", while 18th says to me "last week". I'm far more likely to be working with dates within the next few weeks than months.

Come on, man, just admit to it being a habit and a personal preference derived from that. You simply cannot make a solid case for MM/DD/YY - there is no logical basis that makes it more sensible than other notations.
Except I'm constantly looking at old emails, release dates. back in February when they announced the date for FF XII, if I saw "31/10/06" I'd have to think about it for a second because "31" could mean several different months, where "10/31/06" mean "October" right off the bat.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 27, 2006, 09:56 AM

That's not natural, it's culturally conditioned.

If anything could be considered natural, it would be either

YYYY/MM/DD

or

DD/MM/YYYY

-t

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 27, 2006, 10:03 AM

I'd have to think about it for a second because "31" could mean several different months,

WTF!?!

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

Atheist
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2006, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by what_the_heck View Post

YYYY/MM/DD

or

DD/MM/YYYY

-t

I totally agree... it's conditioning. There's nothing "natural" about it. I moved from the States several years ago to the Caribbean. After a few months I was completely accustomed to reading dates with the day first. (And accustomed to driving on the left. Which I have to confess, even though I grew up driving on the right, driving on the left feels more "natural" to me...LOL)

starman
Clinically Insane
Oct 27, 2006, 10:12 AM

YYYY/MM/DD

or

DD/MM/YYYY

-t
I could see YYYY/MM/DD working as well. DD/MM/YYYY just seems bass-ackwards.

invisibleX
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2006, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by G4ME View Post
WTF!?!
Dammit, I've been missing 19 months of the year.
-"I don't believe in God. "
"That doesn't matter. He believes in you."

-"I'm not agnostic. Just nonpartisan. Theological Switzerland, that's me."

yakkiebah
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2006, 10:14 AM

YYYY/MM/DD

or

DD/MM/YYYY

-t
Exactly. The first one(YYYY/MM/DD) is the most usefull when you're looking for something, like zooming in. The second one(DD/MM/YYYY) is the most usefull for everyday use, i don't need to check the year or month everyday, i only need to know the year once every year and the month once every month.

kennethmac2000  (op)
Senior User
Oct 27, 2006, 10:15 AM

I agree with you, but only if you take the logic of your argument to its conclusion.

My preference when working with dates is for them to be in ISO YYYY-MM-DD format, as is used in Sweden. This puts the larger units first (so is consistent with time), and is unambiguous (since no-one writes dates YYYY-DD-MM).

So, if you accept that the United States should get ahead of the rest of the world for once and, like Sweden, adopt YYYY-DD-MM, then I agree with you. Otherwise, I'm afraid no-one can seriously argue that writing the different components of the date out of order makes sense or is logical.

kennethmac2000  (op)
Senior User
Oct 27, 2006, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by TETENAL View Post

We don't use the slash in Germany for the date, but the order is actually correctly in DD/MM/YY.
I guessed that the French and German versions would have dates in a more sensible order, but this is wrong too. The language setting should not dictate the date format.

As much as I detest the US date format, if I want to view .Mac webmail in French but have my dates in US format, why shouldn't I be able to?

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Oct 27, 2006, 10:17 AM

Is Apple a US company: Yes
Should Apple respect other formats: Yes

That being said, I don't complain that the European companies I deal with use the DD/MM/YYYY format.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 27, 2006, 10:22 AM

I'd have to think about it for a second because "31" could mean several different months
... unlike 10, which could only mean every single month in the year.

It is nothing more and nothing less than an Americanism. American English is more or less the only language (that I know of, at least) where it has become customary to say the month before the date, but to say the year last. Most other languages (and places, speaking of English) would find it very awkward and illogical.

Why is it more important to you to know what time of year you're talking about than to know what year (or indeed what century or millennium) you're talking about?

You need both date, month, and year in order to make a complete time point. Without either, it's incomplete. However, you can easily use any one of the three on its own, without reference to the other two, thus making the other two implicitly understood. No order of the three constituents of a time point is inherently more logical or makes inherently more sense than any other. The only reason that DD/MM/YYYY and YYYY/MM/DD are 'better' to use than any other format is that they comply to other standards we have devised when dealing with numbers, times, addresses, etc.: namely, that you go either from smallest unit to largest unit, or the other way around, depending on language, culture, etc.

starman
Clinically Insane
Oct 27, 2006, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by Oisín View Post
... unlike 10, which could only mean every single month in the year.

It is nothing more and nothing less than an Americanism. American English is more or less the only language (that I know of, at least) where it has become customary to say the month before the date, but to say the year last. Most other languages (and places, speaking of English) would find it very awkward and illogical.

Why is it more important to you to know what time of year you're talking about than to know what year (or indeed what century or millennium) you're talking about?

You need both date, month, and year in order to make a complete time point. Without either, it's incomplete. However, you can easily use any one of the three on its own, without reference to the other two, thus making the other two implicitly understood. No order of the three constituents of a time point is inherently more logical or makes inherently more sense than any other. The only reason that DD/MM/YYYY and YYYY/MM/DD are 'better' to use than any other format is that they comply to other standards we have devised when dealing with numbers, times, addresses, etc.: namely, that you go either from smallest unit to largest unit, or the other way around, depending on language, culture, etc.
Dead wrong.

Explain to me why DD/MM/YYY is better than MM/DD/YYYY. Your own logic states you go from "largest to smallest", but I see MM/DD/YYYY as using the month/day "pair" as a unit.

Or is it an easy jab at Americans?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 27, 2006, 10:40 AM

Well, yeah, that's always the main point.

Only in Amaraca (sic!)

-t

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 27, 2006, 10:49 AM

Oh please.

Everybody agrees is conditioning and personal choice. Don't make a political issue out of it.
month/day/year is illogical to me too, yet I live with it.

day/month/year makes sense as I normally know what month I am in and only need the exact date.

year/month/date makes sense as well.

month/day/year doesn't make sense, but it's easy enough to get used to.

starman
Clinically Insane
Oct 27, 2006, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Mastrap View Post
Oh please.

Everybody agrees is conditioning and personal choice. Don't make a political issue out of it.
Oh, please.

I'm not the one who brought it up the first time.

thirsty
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 27, 2006, 10:56 AM

I find MM/DD/YY very annoying.

It is american habit or arrogance that they have to be different to the remainder of the world.

whats easier;
it's the 27th day of the 10th month of the year 2006

or

its the 10th month, the 27th day in the year 2006

the second one i've tried to say as logical as i thought but it never flows as easy as the top one.

In the end it doesn't matter leave the Amercans to there habits. But at least let the rest of the world enjoy ours.

dd/mm/yy

Smallest to largest.

day - 24hrs
Month - 720 or 744hrs
year - 9480hrs
( Last edited by thirsty; Oct 27, 2006 at 11:03 AM. Reason: addition)
if you can't be part of the solution don't be part of the problem!!!!

Love Calm Quiet
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2006, 10:57 AM

I'm sure Apple wants to be a world power. I'm sure that date format *options* (perhaps following what's selected in your date pref pane) are in the offing.
TOMBSTONE: "He's trashed his last preferences"

starman
Clinically Insane
Oct 27, 2006, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by thirsty View Post
I find MM/DD/YY very annoying.

It is american habit or arrogance that they have to be different to the remainder of the world.
God, you're right. Those silly other countries and their own idiosyncracies.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 27, 2006, 11:09 AM

Nah, I'm not bothered at all.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my band • my web site • my guitar effects • my photos • facebook • brightpoint

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 27, 2006, 11:25 AM

Dead wrong.
Oh, really? How am I "dead wrong"? Do you, for instance, write 125 for one hundred and fifty-two? No. You go from largest unit to smallest unit. That's how writing numbers works, and that's what the formats of YYYY/MM/DD and DD/MM/YYYY are based on: going from smallest to largest, or from largest to smallest.

Any other way of writing dates is bound to be a reflection of how dates are most commonly spoken, which is bound to be different from place to place or language to language. In many languages, for instance, one hundred and fifty-two would indeed be said as one hundred and two and fifty (as in older English as well). That doesn't mean you write it 125, though that would be more 'logical', going by how you say it out loud.

Explain to me why DD/MM/YYY is better than MM/DD/YYYY. Your own logic states you go from "largest to smallest", but I see MM/DD/YYYY as using the month/day "pair" as a unit.
But they're not a unit. They're two units. I could just as well say that I consider DD/MM a unit. Or that I consider MM/YYYY a unit. That doesn't make them a unit. It just makes them a unit in my head. Date is one unit (consisting of two numerical units), and month is one unit (same).

How can an explanation of why I find the MM/DD/YYYY (which is also used in Canada, isn't it?) format illogical be an "easy jab" at Americans? I'm not in the habit of making "easy jabs" at anyone, whether by nationality, religion, creed, or anything else.

starman
Clinically Insane
Oct 27, 2006, 11:30 AM

Writing numbers != writing dates. You can't compare the two. How silly.

Stratus Fear
Senior User
Oct 27, 2006, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by thirsty View Post
its the 10th month, the 27th day in the year 2006

the second one i've tried to say as logical as i thought but it never flows as easy as the top one.
That's because we would say October 27th, 2006, and not how you said it. Saying the 27th of October is fine, but I don't notice too many people on this side of the pond saying it that way. But anyway, that's why we write MM/DD/YYYY, I think.

The way I think about it, I don't typically need to know the year, but the month is the "major" date and the day is the "minor" date, so I prefer MM/DD, and YYYY can honestly go on either side as YYYY/MM/DD or MM/DD/YYYY. I dealt with YYYY/MM/DD while I lived in Japan and it took me no time to get used to at all. The European way of writing the date, though, pisses me off, because the day and month reference is switched from the other two methods. If you ask me, it makes more sense to go from the larger unit (month -> day) and while technically year -> month -> day ought to make more sense, I can see it going either before or after, because for everyday use, the year isn't going to be so important as you know what year it is. Unless you just woke up from a coma or something.

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2006, 11:45 AM

27-OCT-2006 is the best way

get rid of all numbers: ##-AAA-####

Stratus Fear
Senior User
Oct 27, 2006, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by residentEvil View Post
27-OCT-2006 is the best way

get rid of all numbers: ##-AAA-####
That one is the default on my cell phone. Easily readable.

starman
Clinically Insane
Oct 27, 2006, 11:50 AM

Stratus makes a good point, one I should have made myself. Month = "major", day = "minor", year = superfluous. Whether year goes on the left or right is irrelevant.

Oisin, your analogy of writing 125 as 152 is flawed, it would be more direct if you had the version number 10.4.7 as 4.7.10 or 7.4.10. Now, if I were Steve Jobs, I'd say it was 10.4.7. Major.minor.rev. With dates, the CONTEXT of what you're talking about is important to know the year. For example, if I wanted to know what Dakar's birthday was, I'd want to know Month and Date. If I wanted to know when the Wii is coming out THIS YEAR, I'd want to know Month and Date. If I wanted to know when Hell is freezing over, the year would be important because it might not be for a LOOOONG time.

It's not American "arrogance", it a simple way of getting the most important information first, just like I said with reading left to right.

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2006, 11:50 AM

that is how i got use to the date from almost 2 decades of VMS use/programming. when i have to use those damn check things*, it is how i write the date. when i take notes, that is how i write the date. for everything, that is how i write the date.

*it is amazing how many people still use checks for paying bills. online banking is so nice.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 27, 2006, 11:59 AM

Since when is the year superfluous? It certainly isn't for me.

starman
Clinically Insane
Oct 27, 2006, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Mastrap View Post
Since when is the year superfluous? It certainly isn't for me.
Because in certain contexts the year is irrelevant. If your birthday is "Jan. 4", who cares what the year is? If "the part is on Nov. 14th", who cares what the year is?

Stratus Fear
Senior User
Oct 27, 2006, 12:02 PM

If you write YYYY for the year, it should also be immediately obvious which number is the year. That's why it personally doesn't matter to me which side of the date it goes on if the rest is already MM/DD.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 27, 2006, 12:07 PM

It's not American "arrogance", it a simple way of getting the most important information first.
In romanic languages the most important information comes first: casa blanca
In germanic languages however the most important information comes last: white house

English is a germanic language, so the month has to come after the day with the year last. Americans get to wrong!

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Oct 27, 2006, 12:09 PM

I've made a number of web tools that have been used in global organizations. I always make sure that the dates are displayed in the order the users wants. It's not just an issue of convenience, it's a legitimate business concern.

It's not good if you try and schedule something for March 5, and the person you're trying to schedule it with thinks you meant May 3.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Oct 27, 2006, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by TETENAL View Post
In romanic languages the most important information comes first: casa blanca
In germanic languages however the most important information comes last: white house

English is a germanic language, so the month has to come after the day with the year last. Americans get to wrong!
English is a germanic language with heavy romance (and other) influences. But I agree that the American date order doesn't make sense. At the very least, we should all agree that days < months < years, right? So DD/MM/YYYY is the logical way to write dates.

starman
Clinically Insane
Oct 27, 2006, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by nonhuman View Post
English is a germanic language with heavy romance (and other) influences. But I agree that the American date order doesn't make sense. At the very least, we should all agree that days < months < years, right? So DD/MM/YYYY is the logical way to write dates.
And yet 300 million people disagree.

Space1999
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 27, 2006, 12:17 PM

I don't understand what everyone is bitchin' about. Why not just make the change in the date & time system preferences?

RevEvs
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2006, 12:20 PM

I think its just down to the way people say things.

People in the UK would say "26th of October", people in the US "October 26".

I wonder if in the US they used to use DD/MM/YY years ago, as "American English" is just derived from British English. As its been changed over the years they probably changed the date format.
I free'd my mind... now it won't come back.

Forum Links
Forum Rules