Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > What LCD HDTV should my friend buy?

What LCD HDTV should my friend buy?
Jim Paradise
Mac Elite
May 20, 2007, 01:10 AM

A friend of mine is looking to buy an HDTV. Before taxes, I think he is trying to keep the purchase under $3000 (Canadian). He will likely be buying an HD-DVD player soon (either stand-alone or for an XBox 360). We were out looking at a few different brands today, and, perhaps oddly enough, there were a few Sharp models that looked quite nice. Size isn't the biggest issue, so long as it is under $3000, and that's not to say he is looking to spend that much - just that it's his limit.

Anyway, I'm not particularly versed on what brands or models are the best for an HDTV, so suggestions/experiences are quite welcomed.

mduell
Posting Junkie
May 20, 2007, 01:27 AM

Sharp AQUOS are nice along with some of the Sony BRAVIAs.

$3k, even CDN, should get you something in the 47-52" range.

awaspaas
Mac Elite
May 20, 2007, 04:32 PM

An acquaintance recently bought the biggest, cheapest LCD TV they could find at Sam's club, and then complained of the picture quality. So, don't do that.

Some help I am.

k squared
Dedicated MacNNer
May 20, 2007, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by awaspaas View Post
An acquaintance recently bought the biggest, cheapest LCD TV they could find at Sam's club, and then complained of the picture quality. So, don't do that.
The name brand units are not that bad, maybe a generation old. Also, the Vizio's get decent reviews.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
May 20, 2007, 07:11 PM

big fan of Sony TVs...
we don't have time to stop for gas

awaspaas
Mac Elite
May 20, 2007, 07:26 PM

I would obviously get a BRAVIA if I was so inclined. Apparently they're a huge step above the others in the LCD market. (Excellent color, contrast, black level, good deinterlacer/scaler which is very important on an LCD especially if you're not watching all HD material).

Paco500
Professional Poster
May 20, 2007, 08:43 PM

Those more knowledgeable, please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the Sony's use Samsung panels, so I don't know if it's worth it to spend the extra for the sony re-branding. I moved from a Bravia in the states to a samsung in the UK and find it superior, but it's also a year newer- this industry moves fast.

So far I have owned a Philips, a Vizio, a Sony and now the Samsung, and the Samsung is by far my fav. The Philips had good picture quality, but it dies so I returned it for a Vizio. The picture quality of the Vizio was roughly equivalent to ass, so I returned it for the Sony, whIch was much better. Sold that when I moved to the UK.

Teronzhul
Grizzled Veteran
May 20, 2007, 08:49 PM

It really is tough determining exactly where the panels come from in any given LCD display. I recently purchased a Samsung 226bw for my computer, and went through a panic after ordering when I found out that you can get a Samsung panel, an AU optronics panel, or a Chimei panel in this monitor. Paying for rebranding definitely isn't worth it.

I've heard great things about the inexpensive Westinghouse units that use Chimei panels. The 47 inch LVM-47w1 can be found for under $1500 USD. I wish I could say I have actually seen one in action, but I haven't.

Cold Warrior
May 20, 2007, 08:55 PM

I saw a 40" 1080p LCD model Samsung the other day in Best Buy. It was on display for US$2000. The picture looked simply outstanding. Better than any other set on the floor, regardless of size.

Visnaut
Senior User
May 20, 2007, 10:55 PM

LCD HDTVs are coming down in price quite rapidly these days. When I did my research almost a year ago, the things that mattered to me most were 1080p, DVI input (at 1080p), and price. I settled on the Westinghouse LVM-42W2, and it cost me about $2200 including Best Buy's protection plan. I'm not a fan of protection plans, but since Westinghouse has no official Canadian offices, so if the TV went tits up while under warranty, I'd have to ship it back to the States at my own expense in order to get it fixed.

I haven't kept up much on recent product releases, but I imagine 1080p displays are much more common nowadays, from many more brands. Just do your research, and be sure to check the picture quality of the set in person at the store, as well as making sure that wherever you buy it that they have a solid return policy.

badidea
Professional Poster
May 21, 2007, 05:40 AM

I would obviously get a BRAVIA if I was so inclined. Apparently they're a huge step above the others in the LCD market.
Weird, all I heard so far about Sony LCDs is that they are a huge step behind the others in the market!

My personal favorites are Samsung LCDs!

stevesnj
Mac Elite
May 21, 2007, 12:29 PM

You really don't want to price shop (lowest price for the size) you'll get a crap TV. I spent a little more for more contrast ratio and it was well worth it. I decided on the Sharp Aquos 42" 1080p. A friend got the bigger 46" Samsung and its amazing. Consumer Reports has excellent info on how to buy LCD TV's and ratings.
MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

L'enfanTerrible
Mac Elite
May 21, 2007, 06:57 PM

I've only looked at this TV on the web, but I think it deserves a closer look:

LG 42LB5D: $2374 CDN here, good review here. This panel does 1080p.

I'd look at this one because of it's great value, but if your friends budget is $3000 and he want's a bigger screen than 42", then LG has the same model in a 47" panel for around $3134 CDN before taxes. And Sharp Aquos 46" panels are in the same price range, which after taxes and installation would put ya around 3-500 dollars over budget.

awaspaas
Mac Elite
May 21, 2007, 07:19 PM

Should be helpful...

awaspaas
Mac Elite
May 21, 2007, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by badidea View Post
Weird, all I heard so far about Sony LCDs is that they are a huge step behind the others in the market!

My personal favorites are Samsung LCDs!
Considering the ratings, it seems neither of us is right!

Jim Paradise  (op)
Mac Elite
May 23, 2007, 11:52 AM

Thanks for all the advice, everyone, and for the chart, awaspaas! He seems to be leaning towards a Sharp at the moment, which seems like a good choice.

zwiebel_
Dedicated MacNNer
May 23, 2007, 12:06 PM

Should be helpful...
Is there a comp sheet for models below 40 inches? Maybe 26-32? Would be appreciated.
..... ovdje se glasovi odljepljuju iz rijeći i niko nikoga ništa ne razumije.

Oversoul
Senior User
May 23, 2007, 02:42 PM

If your friend wants to dip into HD DVD soon (or even Blu-ray), he should buy a TV that will make the most of high definition media, which means (1) 1080p resolution, and (2) HDMI (the more the better).

I have a Sony Bravia KDL-40V2500, and I highly recommend it, and it's gone down by about US$200 since I bought it a few months back. My only complaint is that it only has two HDMI ports.

highstakes
Senior User
May 23, 2007, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by Peter View Post
big fan of Sony TVs...
Sony Bravia or the Sharp Aquos are my top two choices. I got a Sony TV few years back, mainly because the picture quality looked much better than the other brands that were displayed in the store.

Stratus Fear
Senior User
May 23, 2007, 09:27 PM

I'd choose either a Sharp Aquos, or a Samsung. I personally will probably be buying a Samsung soon. After looking around for a while, they simply have one of the nicest pictures I've seen on an LCD TV in the new high contrast models (15000:1 in an LCD!). Nice blacks and full of color, and that LCD sharpness all rolled into a low footprint TV.

Teronzhul
Grizzled Veteran
May 24, 2007, 12:17 AM

The high contrast numbers they quote are with dynamic contrast turned on. If you can watch a display with dynamic contrast on for more than 5 minutes without a massive headache, then you're in business.

riley46
May 24, 2007, 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by Stratus Fear View Post
I'd choose either a Sharp Aquos, or a Samsung. I personally will probably be buying a Samsung soon. After looking around for a while, they simply have one of the nicest pictures I've seen on an LCD TV in the new high contrast models (15000:1 in an LCD!). Nice blacks and full of color, and that LCD sharpness all rolled into a low footprint TV.
That's also what I observed when I saw them on display in shops in our area. I really admire the sharpness of the picture. They should be a good buy anyway you look at it.

el chupacabra
Mac Elite
May 24, 2007, 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by zwiebel_ View Post
Is there a comp sheet for models below 40 inches? Maybe 26-32? Would be appreciated.
I only selected the top 3-4 brands of each page of rating

zwiebel_
Dedicated MacNNer
May 24, 2007, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by el chupacabra View Post
I only selected the top 3-4 brands of each page of rating
Thanks a bunch. The graph gives me a good starting point.
..... ovdje se glasovi odljepljuju iz rijeći i niko nikoga ništa ne razumije.

Forum Links
Forum Rules