Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > iPhone 5 Event Thread

iPhone 5 Event Thread
MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2012, 06:01 AM

I know it's early. I'm at work not getting much done because I'm just catching up on some last minute rumors.

What site is your go-to for live blogging?

Last minute predictions?

I'm excited because this is the first Apple hardware I've purchased since the 4 came out!

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 12, 2012, 06:13 AM

I'm excited because this is an event covering an item I'm actually going to buy.

I'm not so excited, because these events are becoming less and less interesting, because the rumor mills are too good.

I'm not expecting any surprises. The rumor blogs have 100% nailed the last 3 or 4 iPhones down to the last detail, and I expect that trend to continue.

4G LTE
New dock connector
Taller 19:9 screen
Metal back
New earbuds
faster. more ram...
No NFC

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Sep 12, 2012, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
I'm excited because this is an event covering an item I'm actually going to buy.
I'm not so excited, because these events are becoming less and less interesting, because the rumor mills are too good.
I'm not expecting any surprises. The rumor blogs have 100% nailed the last 3 or 4 iPhones down to the last detail, and I expect that trend to continue.
4G LTE
New dock connector
Taller 19:9 screen
Metal back
New earbuds
faster. more ram...
No NFC
This. But I think you mean a 16:9 screen?

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 12, 2012, 06:31 AM

Yeah, 16:9...

It looks like the name will be the iPhone 5 after all. Apparently apple has given the name away early with some search results on their site.

It also seems like it's a guarantee that we're getting all new iPod Nanos and Touches today.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 12, 2012, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by MacinTommy View Post
What site is your go-to for live blogging?
Probably not a surprise I'm going to watch the TWiT coverage.

They're trying something new and having it be hosted by a puppet of Tim Cook.

MacinTommy  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2012, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Probably not a surprise I'm going to watch the TWiT coverage.
They're trying something new and having it be hosted by a puppet of Tim Cook.
THAT is awesome.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 12, 2012, 08:29 AM

I definitely see potential.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 12, 2012, 09:57 AM

Hmm...

Not sure about that size.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 12, 2012, 09:57 AM

Thunderbolt and Lightning... very very frightening...

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 12, 2012, 09:58 AM

BTW, the puppet thing failed so hard it was actually kinda good.

MacinTommy  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2012, 10:55 AM

Highlight: Foo Fighters and I'll be seeing them next week... Oh and the phone will be a nice upgrade from the 4.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 12, 2012, 10:57 AM

Did we get a price on the old dock connector to Lightningâ„¢ adaptor?

Because I'm going to need like 4 of them.

EDIT: We're not getting one in the box. Annoying but not surprising....

iPhone 5
Apple EarPods with Remote and Mic
Lightning to USB Cable
USB Power Adapter
Documentation

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 12, 2012, 11:19 AM

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/news/comments/apple-shows-earpods-earphones-lightning-cable-adapters/

$29 / $39 for the adaptor????

Dick move Apple.

MacinTommy  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2012, 11:33 AM

Dick move but are we surprised? It would be nice if you could "choose" between the EarPods or an adapter. Either way, we saw it coming... It's how products evolve.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 12, 2012, 11:33 AM

The cable itself is $19.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 12, 2012, 11:35 AM

The cable itself won't help for my car setup. Or the stereo at my parents house.

Not only is it $29, it doesn't ship until October. That means no iPhone in my car a few weeks.

I'm not going to get too upset about a new connector, because I think it is a good move forward... but it still sucks. I've got so many old dock connectors in my life, and they are all going to be pretty much useless now. Oh well, this is how it goes...

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 12, 2012, 11:44 AM

And wait, does the Lightningâ„¢ connector support USB3?

I don't think I've heard anything about it... and that's also kind of lame.

Demonhood
Administrator
Sep 12, 2012, 12:24 PM

USB2 http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD818ZM/A/lightning-to-usb-cable

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Sep 12, 2012, 01:25 PM

Does USB 3.0 use different cables?

Does anyone expect the iPod/iPhone to go Thunderbolt eventually? Would there be much point?
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 12, 2012, 01:32 PM

Yes, the cables are different, but the connector is such that USB 3 cables plug right into USB 2 plugs, and vice versa. This makes it dead simple for consumers in terms of backwards and forwards compatibility.

USB 2 cable into USB 3 port =Works, but at USB 2 speeds.
USB 3 cable into USB 2 port = Works, but at USB 2 speeds.

USB 3 has extra pins that will be used if the port is USB 3, and a USB 3 port provides more power too. IOW, a true USB 3 connection will charge a phone way faster than regular USB 2.

I suspect they went with USB 2 though because it's a lot cheaper to make a USB 2 cable than it is to make a USB 3 cable.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Sep 12, 2012, 03:49 PM

Seems weird the iPods and phones wouldn't be USB 3.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 12, 2012, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
Does anyone expect the iPod/iPhone to go Thunderbolt eventually? Would there be much point?
No point, for the same reason Apple dropped Firewire support for the iPod.

It's much more complex, much more expensive, a waste of logic board real estate, and most people don't have it anyway.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Sep 12, 2012, 04:51 PM

Is the Apple Store Online the only place to preorder? Anyone know?

Also, has anyone heard anything about no contract pricing?

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 12, 2012, 05:26 PM

AFAICT, there isn't anything special about the 18th, it's just when my contract is up.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 12, 2012, 05:55 PM

$699, $799, and $899 in Canada, despite the fact that the Canadian dollar is worth more than the US dollar.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Sep 13, 2012, 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
$699, $799, and $899 in Canada, despite the fact that the Canadian dollar is worth more than the US dollar.
Our currencies have swapped positions 6 times in the last 60 days, I can understand them not changing MSRP every few weeks. It's more trouble than it's worth.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 13, 2012, 05:01 AM

Let's just say that, with zero hard evidence to back this assertion up, it seems that when our dollar goes down, prices immediately go up.....but when our dollar is up, prices take much, much longer to normalize. Funny how that works....

Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

dav
Mac Elite
Sep 13, 2012, 05:23 AM

seeing that syncing your i-device via usb 3.0 may yield faster transfer times through lightning --link-- (than usb 2.0), what's the least expensive way to get usb 3.0 to my 2011 imac? any reasonably priced thunderbolt hubs with usb 3.0 yet?
one post closer to five stars

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 13, 2012, 06:49 AM

My memory is a little hazy here.

How has iPhone availability been in the past?

Can I walk into an Apple Store or AT&T store on the 21st at around Noon and walk out with four iPhone 5s? Are there still typically lines at Noon? Do they normally sell out the first day?

My whole family is flying across the country on the 25th for a big wedding, and my parents and I are going to get on the same family plan. The problem is that after the wedding, they are flying off to Europe and want to have the phones before then.

What's going to be the best way to guarantee that happens without lining up at 6am like a chump?

I would pre-order, but I worry about that as well. I'd hate to have my phones not get here in time and then arrive while we are all gone.

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Sep 13, 2012, 07:07 AM

from what I can find from a quick internet search: the bottleneck here wouldn't be the cable, it'd be the storage it's writing to. the NAND flash in the iPhone 4 (and presumably the iPhone 4S) can read at about ~20MB/sec and write at about 3-7MB/sec. So unless they're using faster NAND storage in the new iPhone, the only possible advantage of having the Lightning connector syncing over USB3 is for faster charging and that probably was ixnayed due to the higher price of USB3

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 13, 2012, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by abbaZaba View Post
from what I can find from a quick internet search: the bottleneck here wouldn't be the cable, it'd be the storage it's writing to. the NAND flash in the iPhone 4 (and presumably the iPhone 4S) can read at about ~20MB/sec and write at about 3-7MB/sec. So unless they're using faster NAND storage in the new iPhone, the only possible advantage of having the Lightning connector syncing over USB3 is for faster charging and that probably was ixnayed due to the higher price of USB3
I just bought an el-cheapo and very small flash 64 GB drive - built for small size, not speed - and it writes at over 20 MB/s, at least for sequential writes.

However, 20 MB/s is still well within USB 2's capabilities. In fact, that flash drive is USB 2. Oddly enough though, I get mildly faster speeds over USB 3, and the speed boost with USB 3 is consistent despite the fact the drive is USB 2-only.

Can I walk into an Apple Store or AT&T store on the 21st at around Noon and walk out with four iPhone 5s?
Good luck.

MacinTommy  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 13, 2012, 08:24 AM

Can I walk into an Apple Store or AT&T store on the 21st at around Noon and walk out with four iPhone 5s? Are there still typically lines at Noon? Do they normally sell out the first day?
My whole family is flying across the country on the 25th for a big wedding, and my parents and I are going to get on the same family plan. The problem is that after the wedding, they are flying off to Europe and want to have the phones before then.
What's going to be the best way to guarantee that happens without lining up at 6am like a chump?
I would pre-order, but I worry about that as well. I'd hate to have my phones not get here in time and then arrive while we are all gone.
As of recent launches, I think 2 per customer was still the standard and they were widely available at stores. Also- if my memory serves me correctly- preorders were delivered ON launch day. They shipped early then were frozen at the local UPS/Fedex distribution center.

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Sep 13, 2012, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
I just bought an el-cheapo and very small flash 64 GB drive - built for small size, not speed - and it writes at over 20 MB/s, at least for sequential writes.
However, 20 MB/s is still well within USB 2's capabilities. In fact, that flash drive is USB 2. Oddly enough though, I get mildly faster speeds over USB 3, and the speed boost with USB 3 is consistent despite the fact the drive is USB 2-only.
here're the articles I was referencing:
http://www.customusb.com/blog/usb-controller-nand-flash-read-write-speed/
http://www.ehow.com/info_12226282_flash-memory-speed-iphone-4.html

the usb controllers in your flash drive are probably making the difference. I'm not at my syncing computer, but I vaguely remember checking an iphone sync when I was pressed for time and noticing that the write speeds were way lower than what I had expected over USB 2.0. that ehow article is about an iPhone 4 so I'd be interested in seeing some actual numbers from a 4S sync over USB 2.0

I too have a new USB3.0 flash drive and when connected over USB2.0 I get writes of 28MB/sec
an older USB2 flash drive achieves ~10Mb/sec

Forum Links
Forum Rules