Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Costco phone kiosks will begin selling AppleCare+ tomorrow?

Costco phone kiosks will begin selling AppleCare+ tomorrow?
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Aug 27, 2014, 11:39 PM

A leaked internal memo seems to reveal that Costco's in-store wireless kiosks may begin offering AppleCare+ on iPhones and iPads beginning on Thursday, August 28. The offer applies only to devices activated at the kiosk rather than iPhones or iPads that may be offered on the main sales floor. Costco resumed selling iTunes gift cards after a nearly four-year dispute with Apple ended in early June; iPhone and iPad sales were resumed just before the end of that month.

Currently, the kiosks only offer the 16GB version of each model of iPhone, iPad Air and iPad mini, notes 9to5Mac, which first obtained the leaked memo. In welcoming Apple back to Costco, CEO Dan Brettler said that he was "extremely excited" about the new partnership, though Costco never stopped selling Apple products in two of its three enterprise channels (Car Toys and Military). Brettler added that "[Apple is] valuable to our long-term success and growth in our space. This initiative will accelerate same-store sales through performance gains and new products and services, as well as enhance our strategic partnership with our suppliers."

The exact nature of the dispute between Apple and Costco is not fully known, but centered around the wholesale chain's inability to get Apple to allow sales of the then-new iPad, despite the fact that rival wholesaler Sam's Club did receive the tablets. Just before the holiday 2010 season, Costco removed the iPod from its shelves, with the gift cards following a year or two later, depending on venue.
( Last edited by NewsPoster; Aug 28, 2014 at 12:13 AM. )

prl99
Senior User
Aug 28, 2014, 09:24 AM

Our Costco's only sell Verizon iPhones, which doesn't do me any good. I do like seeing the other products in their own display racks. I've also seen lots of people, especially kids, checking them out. I've only occasionally seen people check out all the other PCs and laptops on display.

Forum Links
Forum Rules