Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Kodak DX4900 and OS X

Kodak DX4900 and OS X
The Milkman
Forum Regular
Jul 10, 2002, 06:11 PM

Hi all,
I'm seriously considering getting a Kodak DX4900 digicam. (Thought about the HP812 since they sell at a good price but all the online reviews I read prefer the Kodak)
The question I need answered before placing the order is: does it work in OS X ?
I find conflicting statements:
- This review says OS 9 only: <a href="http://www.dcresource.com/specials/PS812_vs_DX4900/index.html" target="_blank">dcresource</a>
- This <a href="http://www.kodak.fr/global/en/service/tib/tib4287.shtml" target="_blank">official Kodak support doc</a> claims limited classic support but doesn't mention the DX4900.
- Kodak's pdf with the DX4900 specs does say "MACINTOSH OS 8.6-X"
and
- Apple put the DX4900 on its <a href="http://guide.apple.com/index.lasso" target="_blank">Made4Mac</a> list with the OS X logo in front.

All I need is the possibility to get the images on my HD without the use of OS 9 or Classic (no OS 9 on my iBook). Be it with Apple's Image Capture or iPhoto or Kodak's software.
Can anyone set my mind at ease?

Thanks a bunch,
Mm.
Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess.
Oscar Wilde

dreilly1
Mac Elite
Jul 10, 2002, 10:03 PM

I've found that Image Capture in X knows about most Kodak cameras. I'd be suprised if it didn't work with that one.

Of course, even if it doesn't, you can always get a USB compact flash adaptor. I guarantee you will be able to get your pictures off with one of those.

Member of the the Stupid Brigade! (If you see Sponsored Links in any of my posts, please PM me!)

Paul S
Senior User
Jul 11, 2002, 10:22 PM

The Apple site doesn't have it on the compatibility chart (http://www.apple.com/macosx/whatyoucando/applications/imagecapture.html), but I've found Apple to lag behind on those lists. I have also found that most Kodak's work fine, and always recommend those becuase of my own experience with them.

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 11, 2002, 10:58 PM

LOL!!!

I just got a DX3600 and indeed the box says it's OS X compatible but all of the software is classic apps. The site says that they do not support OS X (but iPhoto does work). My problem is I bought this camera BECAUSE it was supposed to be supported in OS X.

But the camera does not mount on the HD like it's supposed to, which means if I want my movies (movie mode, #2 big selling point) I either have to 1) boot into 9 (not an option when I got this camera BECAUSE it was supported in X) or 2) Use VPC, which is also not an option for the above reason.

So I am very ****ed at Kodak and am looking into what kinds of legal actions I have, as this is blatant false advertising.

As for will your camera work, the photo software seems to work fine form classic and iPhoto supports my camera so I suspect that it does your as well.
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

The Milkman  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 12, 2002, 04:40 AM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by juanvaldes:
<strong>LOL!!!

I just got a DX3600 and indeed the box says it's OS X compatible but all of the software is classic apps. The site says that they do not support OS X (but iPhoto does work). My problem is I bought this camera BECAUSE it was supposed to be supported in OS X.

But the camera does not mount on the HD like it's supposed to, which means if I want my movies (movie mode, #2 big selling point) I either have to 1) boot into 9 (not an option when I got this camera BECAUSE it was supported in X) or 2) Use VPC, which is also not an option for the above reason.

So I am very ****ed at Kodak and am looking into what kinds of legal actions I have, as this is blatant false advertising.

As for will your camera work, the photo software seems to work fine form classic and iPhoto supports my camera so I suspect that it does your as well.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">This is exactly what I was afraid of! glad to hear it works in iPhoto at least since no more classic for me, thank you.

The problem is that a lot of hardware manufacturers claim OS X compatibility on the box when what they mean is classic support - which is just another word for OS 9.
Doesn't Apple enforce any restriction on these claims i.e. actual carbon or cocoa apps - no classic ****?

Had the same problem with my Canon scanner by the way. I believe there's still no OS X driver. Stopped looking and mailing Canon - never a reply. Scanning in windoze now.

I love OS X, but when will we get proper hardware support. These guys don't get that this **** is really bad for business!

Thanks for your replies,
Mm.

<small>[ 07-12-2002, 04:46 AM: Message edited by: The Milkman ]</small>
Oscar Wilde

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 12, 2002, 04:37 PM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by The Milkman:
<strong>I love OS X, but when will we get proper hardware support. These guys don't get that this **** is really bad for business!</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">no kidding, I will not buy anymore kodak products ever.

Though i have not looked into your camera if it only does photos iPhoto is better software anyway, but if like my camera it has a video mode your SOL. VPC and a reboot into 9 will work. But like I said earlier, it's false advertising and if I had known i would have gotten a different camera that WAS supported.
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

Richyfp
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 14, 2002, 08:18 PM

Most Kodak cameras use PTP, which is supported natively by the Image Capture framework in Mac OS X. You can even see pictures of a number of Kodak cameras right on your hard disk, here: "/System/Library/Image Capture/Devices/PTPCamera.app/Contents/Resources/"

Juan - a suggestion that you may have already tried...
Try launching Image Capture before you plug in your camera, make sure that the "Automatically download all items" checkbox is checked in Image Capture preferences, that Download To is set to "Pictures, Movies and Music folders" and that your Hot Plug Action is set to Image Capture. Now plug in your camera and see if anything shows up in your Movies folder!

Good luck
PM G4 DP 500 MHz, 768 Mb, DVD-ROM, 85 Gb, Mac OS X 10.3.9
PB G4 1.25 GHz, 512 Mb, DVD-R, 80 Gb, Mac OS X 10.4

The Milkman  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 22, 2002, 12:49 PM

Hi,
Just a short follow-up note.
I received the camera and it turns out that it works great with OS X! No thanks to Kodak however; OS X (10.1.5) natively supports the DX4900 even though not documented. Image capture intercepts the camera when plugged in and lets you download the images to the hard drive, or redirects you to iPhoto so you can import them there.
I have not installed the software from the Kodak CD-rom since it needs OS9 to install and probably classic to run. I only have 9 on an external FW drive for emergencies so I won't bother with the Kodak sw. Wake up Kodak, OS 9 is dead!
And oh yeah, it takes great picture too!
Nice to see a happy ending to this thread.
Mm.
Oscar Wilde

Forum Links
Forum Rules