Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MBP Won't Read CD's/DVDs, it ejects it

MBP Won't Read CD's/DVDs, it ejects it
abeato6
Forum Regular
Dec 11, 2007, 03:01 PM

OK, I took out an old The Sims 2 DVD and inserted it into my MacBook Pro, did what I had to do and when I take it out and insert another DVD it sounded weird, takes a while and ejects it, it doesnt even mount it...

I tried with many CD/DVD including new ones and the same thing happens! :S what should I do, I'm going scared about this :S
MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo - 2GB RAM - 120GB HDD - Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT 128MB
WD My Book Premium Edition 500GB
iPod 5G 30GB
80GB PS3

silver
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 11, 2007, 04:16 PM

It's possible that your superdrive has failed. I had the same thing happen, called Applecare right away and although I had to wait for the part to arrive at a local Apple Store once it arrived they had me squared away in 30mins.

Of course you could install it yourself, maybe even going with a faster "Superdrive type model". But you also run the risk of voiding your warranty on a self install since it's not deemed a user replaceable part.

Although not a quick fix, you can relax it sucks but it can be fixed.
 MBP 17" 2.16ghz, ATI x1600 256, 100GBHD, 2GB ram, 23"AppleLCD

abeato6  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 11, 2007, 04:53 PM

Yikes... :S don't I have any other options?... 'cause I dont live in the states and.. well I never use the Superdrive, there is always a CD inside that is never used, only when I play a certain game, there has to be another solution :S
MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo - 2GB RAM - 120GB HDD - Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT 128MB
iPod 5G 30GB
80GB PS3

ibook_steve
Dec 11, 2007, 05:02 PM

Not really. If there's a mechanical failure of some kind, there's not much else to do other than get a replacement drive.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

abeato6  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 11, 2007, 05:13 PM

What if it is Dust? The DVD was kinda old and dusty .... is there any way of cleaning it?
iPod 5G 30GB
80GB PS3

ibook_steve
Dec 11, 2007, 08:16 PM

I think you're grasping at straws here. If you think it is dirt, try blowing into the slot or using a drive cleaning kit. If those don't work, the drive is dead.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

abeato6  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 11, 2007, 09:05 PM

is it safe to use drive cleaning kits in the slot loading drives?
iPod 5G 30GB
80GB PS3

dayjobdog
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 23, 2007, 12:55 AM

I have the same problem only my MacBook will read and burn music CDs. Does this still mean I need a new super drive?

Any help would be truly appreciated.

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 23, 2007, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by abeato6 View Post
is it safe to use drive cleaning kits in the slot loading drives?
Yes, but not the ones with thick cleaning pads or brushes. The kind with fairly low cleaning pads work ok. I think your problem is most likely a dirty drive, and a drive cleaner should help-as should either blowing or vacuuming out the slot. It really sounds like that old Sims disc had stuff on it that it left in your drive.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

gpeden
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 23, 2007, 04:26 PM

The pausing and finally rejecting of some DVD's (in my case it was DVD's that I had burned in that and other drives) is the same symptom of a failed DVD drive that I had with mine. I just got it back from having the DVD drive replaced. There's been more than a few cases of this - IIRC I saw somw posts about this on the Apple forum.

Upon inserting a DVD for the first time in the replacement drive, I experienced something that just did not happen with the original one - a dialog about setting the DVD region appeared along with a reminder that I had 5 changes left.

Cheers!

Glen
Cheers!

Glen

forumhound
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 25, 2007, 11:23 AM

I don't know if this helps but I have a mbp 15" that under tiger would not read CD-rs, even after clearing the firmware cache and all doing all the other things u read to do. But after leopard install 105.1 it started working fine with the very same blank media. go figure. it was the main reason i put the upgrade into production on this machine. (now i have other problems, but less annoying then this one). Cheers.

Dead MBP 2.2 4gig / New Aluminum iMacs / "Old" iPhones / 1st Gen Ipod Shuffle

Forum Links
Forum Rules