Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Will my Ti last 4 years?

Will my Ti last 4 years?
SOLIDAge
Mac Elite
Oct 18, 2001, 07:21 PM

I was thinking about this today while browsing the boards
I have a 400mhz 516 meg Ti1.
This monster will last me 4 years here @ school right?
it won't be obsolete THAT quickly now that the new ones are out right? I only wish i had a better Video Card in this computer...but alas...
Do 3rd party companies install video cards in laptops? (i'm sure if they do it will void the warreny)

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 18, 2001, 08:03 PM

I don't think it will last four years unless you treat it exceptionally well. Things aren't built like they used to be.

Your TiBook is already outdated.

Well, I think you'll see another good two to three years with the machine. Computers get outdated very quickly, but I don't see the end of the TiBook's useful life anytime soon.

John123
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 18, 2001, 08:07 PM

Originally posted by solidage:
<STRONG>I was thinking about this today while browsing the boards
I have a 400mhz 516 meg Ti1.
This monster will last me 4 years here @ school right?
it won't be obsolete THAT quickly now that the new ones are out right? I only wish i had a better Video Card in this computer...but alas...
Do 3rd party companies install video cards in laptops? (i'm sure if they do it will void the warreny)</STRONG>
You *cannot* get a new video card. If your video card dies, you are completely hosed.

It will last you 4 years as long as you don't always choose to upgrade to the newest and baddest software. Four years ago, the word processing program was Word 6...and OS 8 was being ushered in. The first beige G3s were introduced nearly four years ago.

If you're a power user, I'd say four years is just too long to hope for.
MacBook Pro 15" -- 2.2Ghz, 4GB, 200GB 7200rpm
iPod Nano 2G -- 8GB

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 18, 2001, 08:07 PM

It's just about impossible to rip out a graphics chip on a notebook. It's not a card, it's a chip, and to make matters worse, it's soldered onto the motherboard.

I'll tell you one thing. I've looked near and far for notebook graphics upgrades. The truth is, it's probably never going to happen. That is, unless gamers start buying notebooks instead of their tricked-out desktop rigs.

Matsu
Mac Elite
Oct 18, 2001, 08:11 PM

All the apps you currently use should continue to run just aswell as they do now. Even minor updates will be OK. Mac software is generally better in this regard -- must be the tighter integration. New apps and major revisions/software paradigms will of course run better on newer hardware (as will the old stuff) but if the performance is OK now it should be OK 4 years from now. I'm typing this on an AMD 300 PC box I use at home. My brother and I have between us butchered this thing with software installs and hacked wares. It still runs well in office apps, internet browsing, MP3 and disc burning. So I think your Ti will be just fine, just don't get too gung ho installing newer (ever more bloated software on it)

Enjoy your computer, it's a nice one.
Apple: bumping prices, not specs.

John123
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 18, 2001, 08:34 PM

Originally posted by seanyepez:
<STRONG>It's just about impossible to rip out a graphics chip on a notebook. It's not a card, it's a chip, and to make matters worse, it's soldered onto the motherboard.

I'll tell you one thing. I've looked near and far for notebook graphics upgrades. The truth is, it's probably never going to happen. That is, unless gamers start buying notebooks instead of their tricked-out desktop rigs.</STRONG>
Actually, it's a soldered-on, integrated mini-card of sorts. Very cool to look at, especially compared to desktop Macs.
iPod Nano 2G -- 8GB

romeosc
Mac Elite
Oct 18, 2001, 09:07 PM

The truth is yes! It will still run the same applications that it does today! Some people are still running duo 230 and they still run as good as ever. You will miss out on the latest, greatest new applications.

..... by then the computers may be a single voice actuated chip you clip on your shirt lapel that works by voice recognition & could print to any printer within a mile of you and display it on your headsup sunglasses.

but then you may be the one who will perfect this after you graduate college! (or be like Woz & invent it & then go back & finish college with the millions you made!)

<font color = red> Good luck.... Study hard.... Don't be told it can't happen! </font>

<MacOnfused>
Oct 18, 2001, 10:44 PM

Ive read some stuff about the new Tibook models and how processors compare. Some people is saying that 667 mhz model is not worth it despite of the 133 mhz system bus, because in some way the processor arquitecture makes it almost the same as 550 or even 500 mhz models in speed.
Can that be true ? im going to buy a Ti, but im not spending extra 800 bucks for a mac with no remarkable diference in speed.

Im dumb at technical stuff so .. can anyone of you real experts tell me whats the difference ?

Thank you

LordRPI
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 18, 2001, 10:50 PM

You know what would be cool.. PCMCIA 3D video cards...

probably not fast enough though... but would be kool if it ever could happen

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 18, 2001, 11:33 PM

I had posted that a long time ago, but unfortunately, the video chips are a little bit thicker than a few millimeters thick. If they connected externally, it might work, but there is too much latency involved.

However, there are external FireWire enclosures with AGP and PCI slots...

murbot
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 18, 2001, 11:51 PM

It will last you 4 years as long as you don't always choose to upgrade to the newest and baddest software. Four years ago, the word processing program was Word 6...and OS 8 was being ushered in. The first beige G3s were introduced nearly four years ago.
You know, I don't think people think like that when they are looking down the road with their new hardware. It's easy to say "WOW! 667 MHz G4 PowerBook? That'll do for 4 years, easy!!"

Truth is, 4 years is a LOOOOOONG time. Word 6 and OS8 4 years ago? Wow. I'd sure like a crystal ball to see 4 years from now...

bugs
Forum Regular
Oct 19, 2001, 12:04 AM

I'm typing this on a PowerMac 9600 which is exactly 4 years old. It was the top of the line then, now it's only adequate- forget big multimedia editing & action games. Even with the G4 update it just passes.

Nevertheless I'm eagerly waiting for my fast new PowerBook to be delivered...
I'll worry later about the obsolescence factor.
iMac 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo 6GB, OS 10.6.8
Macbook Pro 2.2GHz Core i7 8GB. OS 10.6.8
iPhone 3GS 32GB, OS 5 / TiBook / Newton (2)

SOLIDAge  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 19, 2001, 12:42 AM

I KNOW that it will last 4 years, now, thanks for reafirming it, i treat her very well, so maybe she will last 6 years.

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 19, 2001, 12:59 AM

I think most of the components will last for four years, but the hard drive might give out after three or four, considering how unreliable notebook drives have been lately.

Moving parts will die first. Then, your backlight will give out. Sooner or later, you'll have a dead hunk of junk.

Cipher13
Oct 19, 2001, 02:22 AM

Originally posted by &lt;MacOnfused&gt;:
<STRONG>Ive read some stuff about the new Tibook models and how processors compare. Some people is saying that 667 mhz model is not worth it despite of the 133 mhz system bus, because in some way the processor arquitecture makes it almost the same as 550 or even 500 mhz models in speed.
Can that be true ? im going to buy a Ti, but im not spending extra 800 bucks for a mac with no remarkable diference in speed.

Im dumb at technical stuff so .. can anyone of you real experts tell me whats the difference ?

Thank you</STRONG>
The 7450 is slower than the 7410 MHz for MHz. Though it has additional Altivec units.
I'm assuming the 667 is a 7440? Well, yeah, the 550, if its a 7410, will be faster.

John123
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 19, 2001, 03:07 AM

Originally posted by Cipher13:
<STRONG>

The 7450 is slower than the 7410 MHz for MHz. Though it has additional Altivec units.
I'm assuming the 667 is a 7440? Well, yeah, the 550, if its a 7410, will be faster.</STRONG>
No, the 550 and the 667 are both 7440s. You know this because they both have the same small L2 cache running at full processor speed.

Incidentally, am I the only one who finds it slightly interesting that even if you order a 550, it still comes with PC133 RAM?
iPod Nano 2G -- 8GB

<akaMacfreak>
Oct 19, 2001, 09:07 AM

the REAL question is... will the world last 4 years?

murbot
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 19, 2001, 10:21 AM

Originally posted by &lt;akaMacfreak&gt;:
<STRONG>the REAL question is... will the world last 4 years?</STRONG>
True enough!

<LONG DUCK DWONG>
Oct 19, 2001, 01:43 PM

Originally posted by murbot:
<STRONG>

You know, I don't think people think like that when they are looking down the road with their new hardware. It's easy to say "WOW! 667 MHz G4 PowerBook? That'll do for 4 years, easy!!"

Truth is, 4 years is a LOOOOOONG time. Word 6 and OS8 4 years ago? Wow. I'd sure like a crystal ball to see 4 years from now...</STRONG>
For you Murbot, I think 4 days is a lonh time. Seriously, have you ever gone more than 6 months without buying or selling a mac???

Ryu
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 19, 2001, 02:26 PM

I don't know about Mac and I am trying to sell out my 4 months old iBook to buy a TiBook. However, I know one thing... I bought my PeeCee K3-350 three years ago... I am running Win2000 on it and I am actually posting my message on it since my iBook left for repair. This machine got me through 3 years of my college life and again, it still works perfectly.

Anyway, it still does everything I ask it to do and even those that I don't even ask (like getting Nimda off the net or giving me a big blue finger on the screen). Now, I am expecting to get a 667 G4 and I will try to keep it until I finish my PhD in 3-4 years... well... at least until I begin to earn my life alone and some extra for Apple. I don't have any alternative since this will probably be the last time my Dad would finance such a big sum for my personal hobby.

[ 10-19-2001: Message edited by: Ryu ]

murbot
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 19, 2001, 03:09 PM

For you Murbot, I think 4 days is a lonh time. Seriously, have you ever gone more than 6 months without buying or selling a mac???[/QB]
Yes. I had my Pismo for almost 10 months. That's my record so far.

[ 10-19-2001: Message edited by: murbot ]

absmiths
Mac Elite
Oct 19, 2001, 03:11 PM

Windows 2000 on a K3-350, you must be tolerant. I wouldn't use W2K on anything less than a 700MHz PIII - and I say that from constant usage at work.

Having said that I also tend to buy a new computer about every 3-4 years (94, 98, late 2001)...

Forum Links
Forum Rules