Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > getting a file to save as a .mpg

getting a file to save as a .mpg
joemess
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 6, 2003, 11:18 AM

I am wanting to use a site called Smugmug.com to save some small (<5mb) videos. I have been using iMovie to edit them but I can only get the to save as a .mov, .mp4, .avi (quality stinks on that one, or anything but .mpg or.mpeg.

is there some shareware out there that will let me do this or am I just missing a step? Also, is there a better site on teh net that will let me do the same as Smugmug that is Apple friendly? As I am new to Apple i am having a bit of difficulty finding sites that are compatable.

so to recap. How to save as a .mpg on my iMac.

Nap
Sep 6, 2003, 01:16 PM

MPEG is a distinct file type and compression type. There is mpeg-1, the oldest type, mpeg-2, the type used with most DVDs, and mpeg-4, the newest type of mpeg compression that Apple includes in QT 6. The latter is the only kind of mpeg compression QT Player Pro can do without added software.
There are several third-party compressors that run on the Mac. First, Toast Titanium, the CD burning software by Roxio will do mpeg-1 (version 5) and also mpeg-2 in the new Toast 6, to be released this month. Movie2MPEG, which should work in Classic, is a freeware encoder. It is kind of tempremental and I don't really recommend it. ffMpegX for OS X (10.2 and up I believe) will do both mpeg-1 and mpeg-2.

Forum Links
Forum Rules