Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Hey Apple. Fix my video issues, please!!!

Hey Apple. Fix my video issues, please!!!
eScrib
Forum Regular
Nov 23, 2003, 09:17 PM

I've tried everything. I've pulled RAM. Stopped using all non-Apple peripherals. Nothing works.

My setup...

Dual 533 G4 w/ 768 megs of RAM
Hitachi CM715 monitor
Que Fire! external burner
Apple pro speakers
iSub
Apple keyboard and mouse

This was NEVER an issue prior to Panther. 10.2.8 was fine.

Here are a couple screenshots:

http://www.eas.purdue.edu/~eribble/color3.jpg

Notice the colors in the images in Safari are all outta whack? Also, take a look at iPhoto in the background. The thumbnails are all washed. However, the thumbnails that are washed were photos imported into iPhoto after Panther was installed. Double-clicking on these thumbnails brings up the very washed and discolored image. However, the images prior to the install of Panther are fine!!! Saving the images and moving them to another machine, they view just fine.

http://www.eas.purdue.edu/~eribble/video.jpg

Again, all the photos are screwed up. However, take a look at the dock icons. They look just fine, with the exception of the Finder icon, which is not the correct color. Also, the finder window looks fine, EXCPET the widgets at the top of the winder are messed up as well.

What is going on here? I know there are video issues with the release of Panther but this is NOTHING like what others are experiencing.

It's not a colorsync problem. I have no idea what is going on.

Anyone have any ideas???

Thanks!

Eric

SupahCoolX
Mac Elite
Nov 23, 2003, 10:56 PM

That's weird. What settings do you have in the Displays preference pane? Is it set to only 256 colors or something?

arekkusu
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 24, 2003, 08:55 AM

What makes you think it isn't a ColorSync problem?

eScrib  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 24, 2003, 09:52 AM

It's not a colorsync problem because no matter what I try and do, I can't get the colors to look right via. colorsync. And this only happens in certain apps, like Safari, Photoshop... And it's only images... Not UI windows, other applications...

Here's the really weird part. I grabbed my neighbors flatscreen monitor, hoooked it up and everything was fine!!! So it's not a driver or colorsync issue... It's the monitor. How messed up is that???

However, this was never an issue prior to Panther. Classic Mac OS, and from the Public Beta of OS X up to X.2.8, I've never seen this. SO I still think this is something Apple can fix. Although, I'm not sure if they ever will.

Is there a way to submit a bug report to Apple these days? Or is complaining on public boards the only was these days?

Thanks!

eScrib  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 24, 2003, 09:53 AM

Originally posted by SupahCoolX:
That's weird. What settings do you have in the Displays preference pane? Is it set to only 256 colors or something?
1280x1024 res at 85hertz, millions of colors.

This happens at any resolution, refresh rate and color depth.

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Nov 24, 2003, 09:56 AM

Have you tried using another user account? What is the video card installed?

eScrib  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 24, 2003, 10:01 AM

Originally posted by SMacTech:
Have you tried using another user account? What is the video card installed?
All accounts are affected. Even on a clean install.

It's the GF2mx card that came with the machine. 32mb Nvidia Geforce2 MX AGP Graphics Card.

msuper69
Professional Poster
Nov 24, 2003, 11:09 AM

If you want Apple to do something, I would suggest you post it at www.apple.com/macosx/feedback or call AppleCare if you have it. They don't monitor these forums.

Forum Links
Forum Rules