Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iTune to CD Conversion ->Play on CD Player?

iTune to CD Conversion ->Play on CD Player?
aehaas
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 17, 2007, 12:15 PM

Can I download an album from iTunes then put it on a CD to play in my CD player or take it to a friends house and play it on their CD player?

aehaas
MBP 3.06 8G RAM 500G HD, 8 core 3.0 8G RAM 8800GT all OEM Apple. Where to buy Polarion HID Searchlights
Home Inspection, whole house approach, Sarasota Home Inspections, we are your investigators.

Cave Man
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 17, 2007, 12:49 PM

Yes, just set iTunes' preferences to burn an audio CD.

aehaas  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 17, 2007, 12:58 PM

That should not be possible in my thinking. If I had a non-purchased audio list, then sure, I can put it on a CD. But a protected, purchased iTune album - you can put it on a CD? How often?

aehaas
MBP 3.06 8G RAM 500G HD, 8 core 3.0 8G RAM 8800GT all OEM Apple. Where to buy Polarion HID Searchlights
Home Inspection, whole house approach, Sarasota Home Inspections, we are your investigators.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 17, 2007, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by aehaas View Post
That should not be possible in my thinking. If I had a non-purchased audio list, then sure, I can put it on a CD. But a protected, purchased iTune album - you can put it on a CD? How often?

aehaas
As often as you like. Songs you purchased from iTunes can be burned to Audio CD whenever you want. And that CD can be played on any CD player that will play a burned CD.

aehaas  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 17, 2007, 02:00 PM

OK. I made my first iTunes purchase and was able to put it on a CD to play at home. I have it on my desktop at work. I do not see a way to export it so I can put the album on my MacBook Pro - also at work now. Then I can take it home and play as I use the computer without having the CD in there.

aehaas

Thanks for all your help!

Smillz
Dec 17, 2007, 04:33 PM

Yes you can burn them, the thing you can't do is import to a friend's library. Unless ofcourse you authorize your account on his/her machine

Cave Man
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 17, 2007, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by aehaas View Post
OK. I made my first iTunes purchase and was able to put it on a CD to play at home. I have it on my desktop at work. I do not see a way to export it so I can put the album on my MacBook Pro - also at work now. Then I can take it home and play as I use the computer without having the CD in there.!
You can play protected AAC files (.m4p) on up to 5 authorized (by you) computers. Simply copy the files to your iTunes by drag and drop. If you want to burn them on a CD for playback in a conventional CD player, make sure your iTunes preferences is set to burn an "Audio CD". This puts the files on the CD as orange book AIFF for playback on conventional CD players and computers as CD audio discs.

Here's the beauty of this process. If you reimport an AIF file from a CD you can import it as an m4a (unprotected) file for playback with any software that can decode it (e.g., iTunes, Quicktime). You can also import using iTunes' other formats (lossless, AIF, mp3).

Forum Links
Forum Rules