Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Donald Sterling banned from the NBA

Donald Sterling banned from the NBA (Page 5)
ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
May 29, 2014, 09:39 PM

Steve Ballmer for $2 billion. Boom.
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
May 30, 2014, 06:44 AM

Sterling made out like friggin' gangbusters. He may not have wanted to sell the franchise, but at nearly 4 times the next highest offer ever made on an NBA team -- anyone, publicized bigot or otherwise would be a complete fool not to sell. Someone has unwittingly happened across an extremely lucrative model for selling a sports franchise.

The Clippers are worth $2 billion? Whodathunkit?
ebuddy

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
May 30, 2014, 07:14 AM

That article about his son's death appeared in my daily news feed, not sure why. Gremlins.

Is he (Ballmer) the "right person"? NBA hissy fit incoming? Donald can't stop it, even if he wanted to, but it begs the question; if he's mentally unfit, then what he says can't be used against the Sterling family trust, and if that's the case his wife shouldn't be forced to sell over her husband's mental/medical state, seeing as that he's not responsible for his impaired behavior. Still, ATC, she should take the money and run, all the way to the Caymans. That's insane-o amounts of green for that property.

Edit: Oh, and another thing, would you want to be a player working for Ballmer? Yikes!
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 30, 2014, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by ebuddy View Post
He may not have wanted to sell the franchise, but at nearly 4 times the next highest offer ever made on an NBA team -- anyone, publicized bigot or otherwise would be a complete fool not to sell.
Why? Does he need $2 billion or something?

Someone has unwittingly happened across an extremely lucrative model for selling a sports franchise.
Being in LA?

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
May 30, 2014, 08:57 AM

Well Ballmer tried to save the Supersonics and also tried to buy the Kings recently, ostensibly to move them to Seattle. I can't imagine he would pay $2 billion and then however much else to move the team from LA - remember it doesn't have ownership rights in the arena or anything as far as I know....but I bet the spectre is going to cause some consternation at the league office.

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
May 30, 2014, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Why? Does he need $2 billion or something?
Does anyone? The point is, when it comes to selling things, accepting crazy-high bids is generally a wise investment decision.

Being in LA?
Short list of any LA Teams (or anywhere else for that matter)coming even remotely close to this deal?

Any more questions?
ebuddy

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 30, 2014, 09:55 AM

Does anyone? The point is, when it comes to selling things, accepting crazy-high bids is generally a wise investment decision.
Yes, that's why people buy NBA teams. Because they're wise investment decisions.

Short list of any LA Teams (or anywhere else for that matter)coming even remotely close to this deal?
LA Dodgers, $2 billion.

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
May 30, 2014, 11:28 AM

Yes, that's why people buy NBA teams. Because they're wise investment decisions.
He didn't buy it as an investment opportunity, he wanted to keep the team. Much like someone who is not interested in selling their $150k home getting approached with a million dollar offer... you take it. That was my point.

LA Dodgers, $2 billion.
I stand corrected on this. I was not aware that the Dodgers had sold in 2012 for $2b as that nearly doubles the next highest price paid for any sport franchise in US History, let alone an NBA team. I hope it proves worthwhile to Ballmer.
ebuddy

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
May 30, 2014, 11:35 AM

Hence, "being in LA".

On the other hand, the Milkwaukee Bucks sold for $550 million recently...well above and beyond conventional Forbes-esque valuations. We're talking the worst team in the league, mired in mediocrity, in Milwaukee. The Clippers are in LA, have young stars, and are regarded as championship contenders. Starting at $1 billion and going from there was a forgone conclusion.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 30, 2014, 11:40 AM

Much like someone who is not interested in selling their $150k home getting approached with a million dollar offer... you take it. That was my point.
...except that home hasn't been valued 150K for a long time.

...and if the goal is to own that specific home, you don't take it. Particularly if the money is superfluous.

I stand corrected on this. I was not aware that the Dodgers had sold in 2012 for $2b as that nearly doubles the next highest price paid for any sport franchise in US History, let alone an NBA team. I hope it proves worthwhile to Ballmer.
I'm not sure if this is correct, but I read Ballmer is going in solo, which is unheard of. That means he's footing the $2 B himself. Seems even more strange for a team he won't/can't move.

subego
Clinically Insane
May 30, 2014, 12:05 PM

Wasn't Sterling not supposed to move the Clippers?

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
May 30, 2014, 12:17 PM

Money doesn't mean much if it's something that you seriously want/desire. Supposed street values be damned. I wanted a specific car, only a little over 100 were made and it has the most overinflated seller's market in collector cars, short of pedigree 50s racers. Sellers can ask what they want, and if you don't pony-up fast (as in "right now") there are 20 people behind you with their checkbooks out. Pro sport franchises are much the same, just on an even larger scale.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 30, 2014, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Wasn't Sterling not supposed to move the Clippers?
I don't recall it being a factor. I don't think it's a binding stipulation for any franchise. If you don't want it moved, find the right owner. (Clay Bennet, I hope you burn in hell)

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
Money doesn't mean much if it's something that you seriously want/desire. Supposed street values be damned. I wanted a specific car, only a little over 100 were made and it has the most overinflated seller's market in collector cars, short of pedigree 50s racers. Sellers can ask what they want, and if you don't pony-up fast (as in "right now") there are 20 people behind you with their checkbooks out. Pro sport franchises are much the same, just on an even larger scale.
Thank you, someone understands what I'm saying.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
May 30, 2014, 12:28 PM

Sterling made out like friggin' gangbusters. He may not have wanted to sell the franchise, but at nearly 4 times the next highest offer ever made on an NBA team -- anyone, publicized bigot or otherwise would be a complete fool not to sell. Someone has unwittingly happened across an extremely lucrative model for selling a sports franchise.

The Clippers are worth $2 billion? Whodathunkit?
This!

OAW

subego
Clinically Insane
May 30, 2014, 01:20 PM

I don't recall it being a factor. I don't think it's a binding stipulation for any franchise. If you don't want it moved, find the right owner. (Clay Bennet, I hope you burn in hell)
Not in the purchase, but later. From the wiki:

"In 1984, Sterling moved the Clippers from San Diego to Los Angeles. However, the move was not approved by the NBA, which fined him $25 million. He sued the league for $100 million, but dropped the suit when the league agreed to decrease the fine to $6 million."

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 30, 2014, 01:27 PM

Oh, I think that's more about acting without permission.

subego
Clinically Insane
May 30, 2014, 02:49 PM

LA Clippys is funny.

subego
Clinically Insane
May 30, 2014, 02:56 PM

Also funny is "ask yourself in 1998: Dre and Ballmer... which one becomes an Apple exec, which one buys the Clippers".

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
May 30, 2014, 05:43 PM

I'm starting to think Sterling just might have a screw loose. This fool is about to make the windfall of windfalls and he's still clowning.

Donald Sterling to Sue NBA for $1 Billion - NBC News

OAW

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 2, 2014, 11:18 AM

Sterling didn't want to sell the Clippers. He didn't need money, and he certainly doesn't need it now that he's probably in the last decade of his life. He loved the Clippers because it gave him something to do, a place to be seen, and a public platform that his business alone would never provide. He's a huge personality with a ridiculous ego, and owning the Clippers fed that.

If Ballmer would have presented him with a $2 billion bid a year ago, he still would have turned him down.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 2, 2014, 12:02 PM

Buying a stable of poor black kids is complicated in the 21st century. Money alone doesn't cut it any more.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jun 2, 2014, 12:49 PM

Also funny is "ask yourself in 1998: Dre and Ballmer... which one becomes an Apple exec, which one buys the Clippers".

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 3, 2014, 12:15 PM

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 3, 2014, 12:33 PM

I find it quaint that as racist as this guy supposedly is, no one's claimed to have heard him use epithets.

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Jun 3, 2014, 08:32 PM

I find it quaint that as racist as this guy supposedly is, no one's claimed to have heard him use epithets.
Hell, you said you're a little racist -- why are epithets important here? I'd say he's demonstrated a much greater degree of racial animus than you. Unless I've missed something.
ebuddy

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 4, 2014, 11:30 AM

I'm not sure I understand why it's unreasonable to imagine someone more racist than myself using racial epithets.

Even as a not hugely racist person, I've certainly thought them, and needed a self-actualized "WTF is wrong with you?" afterwards.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 4, 2014, 05:30 PM

Come on guys this is 2014. We all know that no one is really "racist" anymore no matter how blatant. Except those who dare say anything about it.

Racist Woman Repeatedly Calls Man an N-Word in Front of Kids, Is Confused Why He Is Record | Complex

OAW

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 4, 2014, 07:12 PM

Breaking news on CNN ...

L.A. Clippers co-owner Donald Sterling has agreed to the sale of the team to Steve Ballmer, Sterling's lawyer tells CNN's Brian Todd.
It would appear the man has come to his senses.

OAW

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Jun 4, 2014, 09:35 PM

$2 Billion will do that to a person

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jun 5, 2014, 12:16 AM

It isn't the money, he's tired of fighting. Unless you're a captain of industry, using your money to "move mountains", after a certain point it doesn't matter very much. (That point is well into 9 figures on the top end of the curve, so it's not a phenomenon most encounter.)
- Thomas Paine

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 5, 2014, 01:30 AM

Originally Posted by abbaZaba View Post
$2 Billion will do that to a person
You think?

OAW

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Jun 5, 2014, 06:21 AM

Even as a not hugely racist person, I've certainly thought them, and needed a self-actualized "WTF is wrong with you?" afterwards.
That would be what I was missing.
ebuddy

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 5, 2014, 08:44 AM

It isn't the money, he's tired of fighting.
Yeah, that two weeks of "nuh-uh" really takes it toll on an 80 year old man.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 10, 2014, 08:30 AM

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2014, 09:08 AM

"He's just tired of fighting"

This guy's been an ass to everyone his entire life....not gonna stop now

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jun 10, 2014, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
"He's just tired of fighting"

This guy's been an ass to everyone his entire life....not gonna stop now
He made his fortune through litigation. He's a scumbag "sue anyone I can" type and a racist asshole. I've also noticed support for his side of the story has dropped off a cliff around here as well.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 10, 2014, 04:43 PM

Really, does he have anything to lose at this point?

If I had that kind of money I would totally use it to **** over the NBA.

He's gonna win too. You heard it here first.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2014, 10:25 PM

Why do you think he will win?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 11, 2014, 08:34 AM

Isn't him dying or settling far more likely?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 11, 2014, 08:52 AM

"Who's the real bad guy here?"

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 11, 2014, 09:11 AM

^^^^

And this my friends is what we call the classic "flip mode" maneuver. Let Sterling tell it he's just standing up for Freedom, Justice, and the American Way.

OAW

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 11, 2014, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
Why do you think he will win?
He's willing to put in more money.

He'll literally spend a billion dollars to shove it down the NBA's throat. It's not worth it to the NBA to fight that.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 11, 2014, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by OAW View Post
the classic "flip mode" maneuver.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jun 11, 2014, 11:16 AM

He's willing to put in more money.

He'll literally spend a billion dollars to shove it down the NBA's throat. It's not worth it to the NBA to fight that.
Also they're using illegally obtained evidence, in Ca. you can't be recorded in that manner without your consent or a warrant. If it hits arbitration the recording that started all this will likely get thrown out.
- Thomas Paine

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 11, 2014, 11:47 AM

I don't think the NBA realized what they were doing was bribing Sterling to lay off and bury this already.

After it's buried, you don't dig it out and give it a few more punches.

I'm going to guess the NBA is set up in such a way it's the owners consent which gives the commission authority. You put this in an actual courtroom, the NBA doesn't have a leg to stand on.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 11, 2014, 12:08 PM

Also they're using illegally obtained evidence, in Ca. you can't be recorded in that manner without your consent or a warrant. If it hits arbitration the recording that started all this will likely get thrown out.
What does that have to do with the owners' ability to force a sale because of conduct detrimental to the NBA? Are you saying that evidence rules of court in the state have to be followed by the NBA in order to take the actions contemplated by its charter?

I don't think the NBA realized what they were doing was bribing Sterling to lay off and bury this already.

After it's buried, you don't dig it out and give it a few more punches.
Sorry I'm not following you - how was the NBA bribing Sterling? It fined him the maximum allowable amount and forced a sale of his team.

I'm going to guess the NBA is set up in such a way it's the owners consent which gives the commission authority. You put this in an actual courtroom, the NBA doesn't have a leg to stand on.
I'm probably missing something again, but I'm not sure how the first sentence relates to the second. What commission? And why would the owners' consent for it matter in a courtroom?

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 11, 2014, 12:26 PM

Point the first: the bribe is to make him disappear. The components of the bribe were dropping the fine, dropping the ban, and putting a ridiculous offer for a shit team on the table.

Point the second: I'm saying the way the NBA is structured, and the commission which runs it, only exist because the owners don't rock the boat. If one of them starts (like by putting all these contracts under the scrutiny of a judge), shit gonna tip over.

To put it another way, the NBA is a racket, and it's usually bad policy to get judges peering to closely at that sort of thing. The only person who wants this taken to court is Sterling, because he has nothing to lose.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 11, 2014, 12:41 PM

Point the first: the bribe is to make him disappear. The components of the bribe were dropping the fine, dropping the ban,
This didn't happen. I think it's cited in the article about the lawsuit that he restarted it specifically because that didn't happen. There was no bribe.

(Link me up if I missed something on that)

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 11, 2014, 12:50 PM

Point the first: the bribe is to make him disappear. The components of the bribe were dropping the fine, dropping the ban, and putting a ridiculous offer for a shit team on the table.
1. I didn't see that dropping the fine or the ban was ever "offered" to Sterling. But if it was done in exchange for compliance with a sale, instead of the NBA having to actually go ahead and take the necessary steps (which I am sure are complex)...that is more a concession of convenience more than anything else, no?

2. As far as I am aware, the NBA had nothing to do with the ridiculous offer. The NBA threatened to force the sale, so various offers were made to the Sterlings and this one was so ridiculous that they accepted it.

3. How can you possibly say that the Clippers are a shit team? They have been a shit team in the past, but are currently legitimate championship contenders with a solid core of NBA stars, playing in one of the NBA's largest markets. They would have to be considered one of the better teams in the NBA from both a player personnel and brand value standpoint.

Point the second: I'm saying the way the NBA is structured, and the commission which runs it, only exist because the owners don't rock the boat. If one of them starts (like by putting all these contracts under the scrutiny of a judge), shit gonna tip over.
Errrrr...I have no idea where you're getting this or what you're basing it on. The NBA is an organization with franchised members (teams). It has a legal structure, constitution, governing rules, etc.

Why do you think all of this suddenly collapses if one owner starts acting out? Wouldn't a far more logical answer be that there is a mechanism to kick said owner out of the organization?

To put it another way, the NBA is a racket, and it's usually bad policy to get judges peering to closely at that sort of thing. The only person who wants this taken to court is Sterling, because he has nothing to lose.
This seems almost like saying "Apple is a racket". Look, NBA teams have been bought and sold for hundreds of millions of dollars as recently as last year. If the entire structure could fall apart by something as simple as an owners' lawsuit, don't you think the army of lawyers that would have effected those transactions might have picked up on such a fatal flaw and pointed it out before now?

Again, maybe you're right, but at face value it seems surprisingly tinfoil hat-ish. Wouldn't a much more logical and simpler explanation be that the organization has been set up with some mechanism to force the sale of a team by a particular owner who everyone agrees is causing some identifiable harm to all the other owners?

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 11, 2014, 01:31 PM

The reason no one has acted up is because it's a golden goose. Everybody involved up until now has been happy with the situation.

This ridiculous offer wouldn't have come down the pipe if Sterling didn't have some serious leverage on his side. The NBA would have used the legal structure you spoke of and hung him out to dry with it.

But no. We'd feel better if the pariah walked away with two billion dollars.

Forum Links
Forum Rules