Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > EBOLA, Open Borders, and Undocumented ILLEGALS

EBOLA, Open Borders, and Undocumented ILLEGALS (Page 5)
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 20, 2014, 03:33 PM

Possible Ebola case in Jefferson County, Mo.

Obama looking to punish the crackers in Missouri ahead of Wilson not getting indicted.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 20, 2014, 04:40 PM

As an aside, I just saw a Louis C.K. bit on race again, and was pretty tickled by the part where he sarcastically talks about how "cracker" is offensive to him.

"Someone called me a cracker... nearly ruined my whole damn day."

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 20, 2014, 04:41 PM

I swear to god, most racial epithets make me giggle. Cracker included.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 20, 2014, 08:32 PM

Since you guys brought it up and for the illumination of those who may not already know ...

The origins of the term "cracker" when used in reference to white people goes back to slavery. The white foremen would "crack" the whip on the backs of black slaves ... hence my ancestors would call them "crackers". So unlike "n*gger" which was a perversion of "negro" used to demean black people simply for being black ... "cracker" isn't meant to demean white people simply for being white. In a modern day context it's meant to convey a sense of the subjugation of people of color by white society. Sometimes when speaking about the white power structure in the US in general one might talk about "The Man". So to bring this full circle back to Ferguson situation referenced above ....

"The Man is NOT going to indict a white police officer for killing an unarmed black man. No way no how."

"These crackers are NOT going to indict a white police officer for killing an unarmed black man. No way no how."

These two statements are vernacularly identical.

OAW

BadKosh  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 21, 2014, 10:35 AM

The big question on immigration is after all the LIES from Obama, why he chose this ONE promise to keep...with the Illegals in the shadows? What does that say to those immigrating LEGALLY? Why isn't Obama actually enforcing immigration law/Border security? HE broke the law, and he wants to fix it with his pen? What a bunch of crap.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 21, 2014, 10:43 AM

I seem to recall Bush being considered soft on immigration.

Reality is there is no equitable fix. Cheap, easy, effective, fair: You get to pick one.

BadKosh  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 21, 2014, 11:14 AM

Streamline the application for legal immigration.
ALL illegals NEVER get the right to vote - kids included. Wanna vote? Go home, get in line behind those applying legally.
Stricter enforcement of borders, with bigger penalties.
Businesses become Gov't property when they hire illegals, and owners go to jail, not just fines.
The gov't can then sell these businesses for whatever they can get.

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Nov 21, 2014, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by OAW View Post
Since you guys brought it up and for the illumination of those who may not already know ...

The origins of the term "cracker" when used in reference to white people goes back to slavery. The white foremen would "crack" the whip on the backs of black slaves ... hence my ancestors would call them "crackers". So unlike "n*gger" which was a perversion of "negro" used to demean black people simply for being black ... "cracker" isn't meant to demean white people simply for being white. In a modern day context it's meant to convey a sense of the subjugation of people of color by white society. Sometimes when speaking about the white power structure in the US in general one might talk about "The Man". So to bring this full circle back to Ferguson situation referenced above ....

"The Man is NOT going to indict a white police officer for killing an unarmed black man. No way no how."

"These crackers are NOT going to indict a white police officer for killing an unarmed black man. No way no how."

These two statements are vernacularly identical.

OAW
I always thought it was because our skin resembled actual saltine crackers. You learn something every day.

That said, it's still (can be used as) a derogatory racial stereotype.

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 22, 2014, 08:23 PM

It's all in how a word is used, both in context and delivery. If the intention is to be insulting, "genius" can be used, if the delivery is right.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 22, 2014, 10:58 PM

^^^^

This.

OAW

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 23, 2014, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Snow-i View Post
I always thought it was because our skin resembled actual saltine crackers. You learn something every day.

That said, it's still (can be used as) a derogatory racial stereotype.
Louis C.K.:

Bringing me back to owning land and people... what a drag.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 23, 2014, 04:30 PM

Perhaps I should let him do it.

Louis CK-Being White - YouTube

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 23, 2014, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
It's all in how a word is used, both in context and delivery. If the intention is to be insulting, "genius" can be used, if the delivery is right.
Isn't the insulting form of "genius" usually used on those who are not geniuses?

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Nov 24, 2014, 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Isn't the insulting form of "genius" usually used on those who are not geniuses?
You tell me, genius.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 24, 2014, 04:30 PM

q.e.d.

Forum Links
Forum Rules