Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > non-apple multimedia keyboard

non-apple multimedia keyboard
Z-pro
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 17, 2007, 03:57 PM

Hey everybody, i'm brand new here cause i dont know what to do anymore... so go ahead and call me noob or whatever, get it out of your system. What i mean by not knowing what to do, is that i have a multimedia keyboard, you know, designed for windows, and i'm using it with my mac mini. I tried to look on their website to see if they offer support for OS X, but they dont. it's a Benq x700 by the way, the one designed by like the BMW design company or whatever. Anyways, it's a sweet keyboard, and it work's and all, but all i would LIKE, is for all the extra buttons to do stuff.

Here's a link to the official page, and you can get a look at the thing, and you can see the extra row of buttons.
BenQ Global - Computing

Now my question is simple, well probably not as simple as i'd like it to be, but whatever, here it is: is ther any way for me to get those buttons to work? What i was thinking is some sort of script, or i dont know, because i clearly dont know any programming, other than what i did in highschool which was like turing and java but useless. - But that's what i was thinking, is if there's a way to uhh make a keyboard layout that INCLUDED those buttons, and then i could be able to program them to do something extra, like maybe just shortcuts, say command+n for example. But the thing i was thikning, is that since Apple keyboards dont come with them, does that mean that there's no way to add it without like reworking the whole OS ? Oh and i did find a few things, like where the keyboard layout files are kept and i think a webpage about writing layouts. Anyways, just let me know your thoughts, any info will be helpful... thanks.

ps. the volume knob and mute button do work, but i just assumed those came on a certain apple keyboard if i remember correctly.

registered_user
Dedicated MacNNer
May 20, 2007, 10:03 AM

Beats me.

But I'll venture a guess. USBOverdrive might be a step in the right direction.

If USB overdrive recognizes the device's extra buttons, you'd have your foot in the door. You may need to download/find/write applescripts to map to the buttons so that they do what you want.

Z-pro  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 24, 2007, 01:30 AM

alright man, thanks alot i'll try it out, and see how it goes. and IF you know anymore things along this line, that'd be appreciated too.

Z-pro  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 24, 2007, 08:34 PM

Alright well i tried that app, but it doesn't seem to be working. I guess it only supports mice, joysticks and trackballs, which is still pretty cool, it's a good program, but yeah i need something for this keyboard. If anyone else has any suggestions please let me know

Forum Links
Forum Rules