Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Soon to be switcher: 15� Gigabook good choice?

Soon to be switcher: 15� Gigabook good choice?
mixtup
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 18, 2003, 02:03 PM

Hi everyone! I�ve been reading and poking around the forum for about a month and have decided to jump in and hear your advice/opinions on my situation.

I am going to move to graduate school and am looking to replace my aging Dell desktop with a new computer. I decided that I would buy a laptop that would be a desktop replacement, at least for some time (until I had dough to buy a new desktop).

I was contemplating moving away from M$ for a while, as I was fed up with them. In fact, I removed almost all M$ software from my Dell (except Win2k which is a pretty decent OS). I considered Linux, but it seemed it would be an uphill battle (hardware compatibility, software, etc.). Then I saw the new 17� Powerbook and started reading more about OS X.

I was convinced really quickly that I wanted to try switching and that I wanted the PB 17�. My only qualms about the 17� were that it is way expensive and that it isn�t radically different from the 15� (aside from the huge screen). Then I saw a special offer at the university I�m going to for a 15� Gigabook: $2,299 with Applecare and an Epson printer to boot!

I figure that I can�t go horribly wrong, right? I don�t have an immediate use for Bluetooth and I can add it afterwards via PC card slot. As far as the display I�ll eventually have an external display. With this price I could buy an iPod and still be within retail range! So, I�m pretty sure that I�m going with this but had a few questions:

I heard about some issues with the 15�, namely: paint problems, wireless reception, keyboard flimsiness. Have these issues been solved? Are there any other issues with the PB 15�?

I am very fond of my Klipsch 4.1�s even though I have used them only in stereo. I would really like to get 4.1 surround out of them, esp. for DVD�s. I heard about the Sonica Theater and it looks way cool. Has anyone used this setup? Does it work with the PB 15�?

And finally, any suggestions on a big display that could double as a TV? The PB has an S-Video output, so I could connect it to any TV/monitor that has an S-Video in? Right?

Thanks for reading! I look forward to hearing from you.
"That was very true, he thought. There was a direct, intimate connection between chastity and political orthodoxy." -Orwell

djjava
Senior User
Apr 18, 2003, 02:17 PM

if you are looking for a new powerbook to replace a desktop, i'd say either get the 17" PB, or get the 15" with a 20" / 23" cinema display.

I love my 17" PB. Either of the above options will cost a hefty penny.
http://www.pardonmyenglish.com "Spreading the Conservative Word...In English Only."
RevA PB17 with Panther, Lacie d2 160gb, 4G iPod, Vectorworks 10.5

7Macfreak
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 18, 2003, 02:28 PM

i'd say get either one of the new powerbooks (12" or 17") OR wait for the 15" with the new form factor.
apart from better airport reception and a nicer keyboard it has a few more advantages over the titanium cased powerbooks. ex. the hinge, side ports, better keyboard.
if price is an issue get the 12" esp. if you're gonna get an external display anyway. if price is not an issue, then of course get the 17".

basically i'd stay away from the titaniums.

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Apr 18, 2003, 02:44 PM

Congrats on venturing to the LightSide!

In all honesty I'd hafta say that *if* you could muster up the extra cash for the 17" PB, you'd be MUCH more satisfied. And also, you say you're going to college? Well that makes you eligible to join the ADC, which gives you a one-time 20% (yeah, seriously) discount on any Apple computer, so it makes the $3,299 17" PowerBook a $2,600 computer instead, which just may put it into your price range. If you need more details on this, just read the below post in which I posted to someone else interested. First off, the ADC is a Developers Group in which college students can join for $99, and a benefit of this is a one-time 20% on an Apple purchase:

"Just go to http://connect.apple.com and select "Join" to purchase a Student Membership. Put a Student Membership in your cart and "Check-Out". Pay your $99, fill out all the info. it asks (including your Student ID [many universities, including my own, simply use your Social Security # as your ID, so if you're unsure, check into it first] at your college, this is very important), and order it. You'll then be instantly ready to purchase via the Student Discount. You do so by heading HERE and click that banner that says "ADC Hardware Purchase Program" to enter the ADC Store. Wowww look at the pretty prices!

Okay, after you're through gawking, get to ordering! Just put whatever you want in your cart, and make absolute *SURE!* you get everything you need, because once the order is placed, that discount is FOREVER gone, regardless of what you "forgot" to order at the time of purchase. Too, many things in accessories won't be discounted, as it's the Apple-made hardware that's discounted. For instance, a Microsoft mouse will be the same price through the ADC store as the normal one, so don't be shocked, only Apple stuff is discounted, but even the small things like Power Adapters, batteries, etc. are discounted if made by Apple.

Then, place your order, give them your name, shipping info., credit card info., etc. and you're set! Things will begin to ship as they become available. In about a week or two you'll get an email from Apple requesting a FAX from you to them with your College letter of Acceptance (original, no copies) OR your current Class Schedule from your University, PLUS your Student ID card or Driver's License. Also, if you want to type out a page stating your full name, address, and your ADC Membership Confirmation Number (that'll be included in the email they'll send you after you've paid your $99 to confirm that you're in) and fax that page too, it speeds up there confirmation process. Once that's in to Apple, they won't email you telling you it's done, but keep a check on your account at connect.apple.com, and you'll see your Assets (ADC Student Membership and ADC Mailings) become updated w/ a current date, which will be the date they confirmed you after your faxes. This confirmation of faxes allows them to start sending your monthly mailings of free code, free info., free t-shirts, free programs, etc. for a one-year period (very cool stuff!). After that one-year, you can renew for $99 for another year, and you'll continue to get all your monthly goodies, but you will NOT ever receive another 20% discount, even with renewing. That discount is for joiners only, unfortunately, so use it very wisely!"

--Now, if this doesn't float your boat, and you're still eyeing the 15" TiBook, I'd hafta admit that's a pretty good deal you're getting. The new TiBooks have pretty much solved the paint issues, and the wireless reception isn't as great as the new AlBooks simply b/c of the antenna placement, which can't be changed. Too, the flimsy keyboard isn't really all that flimsy, it's just that it doesn't suit some people while it suits others fine...but honestly I wouldn't consider it an issue. If you're looking to save as much as possible now while still getting a powerful desktop replacement style notebook, this may be your best bet so you can get your desktop quicker in the future. The latest revision of the TiBooks are tried & true machines, and it wouldn't dissapoint.

About the speakers, the M-Audio Sonica USB device, it's an outstanding way to attach your 4.1 speaker system to your notebook computer, and it works wonderfully well from reports I've heard as it's fully Mac-compatible. It can be purchased for only $59 (cheapest I've found) here: Click HERE

Also, the multitude of computer monitors/displays do not have an S-Video in port, but the TiBook & 17" AlBook have DVI-outs in which connect to an array of displays, and it includes a DVI-to-VGA adapter to connect to the other million of monitors that simply use the standard VGA output that's been used worldwide for years. But, just about any mid-range television these days has an S-Video in in which you can connect your TiBook to & display your computer screen on the TV, and even for old school TV's a S-Video-to-RCA adapter is included so your notebook can connect to basically any TV right out of the box.

Hope this helps, and feel free to ask any other questions!
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

mixtup  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 18, 2003, 03:17 PM

Originally posted by 7Macfreak:
i'd say get either one of the new powerbooks (12" or 17") OR wait for the 15" with the new form factor.
apart from better airport reception and a nicer keyboard it has a few more advantages over the titanium cased powerbooks. ex. the hinge, side ports, better keyboard.
if price is an issue get the 12" esp. if you're gonna get an external display anyway. if price is not an issue, then of course get the 17".

basically i'd stay away from the titaniums.
I heard about the new 15" Powerbook, but judging by the 17", it would be a while until they ship and I would want to have the PB before June.

Wouldn't the 15" outstrip the 12" in performance?

-thanx
"That was very true, he thought. There was a direct, intimate connection between chastity and political orthodoxy." -Orwell

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 18, 2003, 03:19 PM

Originally posted by mixtup:
Wouldn't the 15" outstrip the 12" in performance?
Yes. The 15-inch PowerBook is considerably faster than the 12-inch PowerBook. It has L3 cache and a better GPU.

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Apr 18, 2003, 03:31 PM

Originally posted by seanyepez:
Yes. The 15-inch PowerBook is considerably faster than the 12-inch PowerBook. It has L3 cache and a better GPU.
Definitely, not to mention a 1Ghz CPU vs. a 867Mhz CPU.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

javabeans
Forum Regular
Apr 18, 2003, 04:37 PM

I've just joined ADC Developer program and already ordered the 17" PB and a 10G iPod...and I'm waiting for the shipment! The total is about the same as the retail price of the 17" PB.

That's definitely an awesome deal that I recommend you to take advantage of if you're eligible!
PB.17.1Ghz - iPod.10G

cenutrio
Mac Elite
Apr 18, 2003, 05:16 PM

You can not beat that price, very good deal. I'm wondering which graduate school and department?

I'm at UW-Madison and we do not get such deals. Do you know if Macs are a good choice for your work. They are very useful for us microbiologist, just wondering...

mixtup  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 18, 2003, 05:40 PM

Originally posted by cenutrio:
You can not beat that price, very good deal. I'm wondering which graduate school and department?

I'm at UW-Madison and we do not get such deals. Do you know if Macs are a good choice for your work. They are very useful for us microbiologist, just wondering...
I'm going be at the Integrative Biology Dept. at UC Berkeley. I'll be working in the general field behavioral ecology (focus on evolution). I will likely end up doing some molecular work (microsats) and definitely stats. So it's good to hear microbiologists use it a lot. What programs (and for what use) do you use?

Aside from that, I do a lot of web design. I also use my computer as my general purpose entertainment center (DVD, music, etc.).

cambro
Senior User
Apr 18, 2003, 06:41 PM

mixtup:

I'm in graduate school at the Univ.of Chicago (paleo/ev bio) and I have a Ghz Ti book. It is great. You will definitely be happy with a Unix platform in the sciences. Virtually every one in my department is starting to make the move to OS X...even the die-hard Unix Geeks.

I do a lot of numerical simulations and programming and my Ti is plenty fast for all of my scientific needs. The programs I use most regularly are mySQL, PHP, Apache, Safari, Adobe Illustrator/InDesign/Photoshop, JMP, R, the iApps, TeX, and Office. I also do some image analysis using a variety of good apps (search versiontracker or Apple's OS X downloads page for tons of apps). The Ti also plays Quake III really well

You won't be disapointed no matter which book you get. Have fun next year!

k2director
Senior User
Apr 18, 2003, 07:13 PM

The Ti 15" is a great machine. I got my Ti 1Ghz/SD for $1999 at UCLA with 3 years of AppleCare thrown in. $2299 isn't as good a deal, but is still quite good.

The 17" PB is also a great machine, of course, but if $$ is an issue, then you can rest assured that the Ti 15" is a great machine which you're getting **for a bargain**. You don't get Bluetooth built in (few people use it yet), nor Airport Extreme (useful to only a minority of people these days), and of course you miss out on the big screen. But you also get a lighter/smaller form factor, and 30-45 minutes more battery life. And the same performance as the 17", in most real-world terms. Plus, if you go to sell your Ti in a year or two, having the AppleCare warranty still in place increases its value on eBay/wherever else.

mgehman
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 18, 2003, 09:57 PM

I've owned both the 17" and the 15". Both are excellent machines. The 15" is great. The price that you would be getting with AppleCare and a printer is a steal. Unless you need the big screen or BlueTooth and can afford the increase price for the 17", go for the 15" and get Virtual PC (I know the evil empire sucks but you may need it at some point) and you cover all your bases.
"The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck is probably the day they start making vacuum cleaners."
- Ernst Jan Plugge
MacBook Pro 2.33GHzDC 3GB RAM

mgehman
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 18, 2003, 09:58 PM

Make sure you get as much RAM as you can. It's cheap right now and easy to install.
"The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck is probably the day they start making vacuum cleaners."
- Ernst Jan Plugge

cenutrio
Mac Elite
Apr 18, 2003, 10:04 PM

Mostly molecular biology stuff. Among others DNAstar, MacVector, Align, ClustalX, TreeView, SwissPdbViewer, also flow cytometry software, etc. Of course, Illustrator, photoshop, Endnote, Prism, for dealing with data. Even iMovie may be useful for developing movies about cell cycle life (like in my yeast project, etc).

I'm not into the Unix crowd, I need somebody to introduce it to me...

hsvgoku
Apr 18, 2003, 10:27 PM

It depends on what you want to do with it and how long you can wait? If you need a laptop soon, then go for the Ti 1Ghz. All the best in shopping for a PB

mixtup  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 19, 2003, 06:19 PM

Originally posted by mgehman:
Make sure you get as much RAM as you can. It's cheap right now and easy to install.
I think I'll do that. Any suggestions on where to get it from? Thanks!

RGB
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2003, 06:46 PM

Other World Computing:

http://www.macsales.com

badnewsblair
Senior User
Apr 19, 2003, 07:34 PM

As I'm sure you know, switching is the best choice right now. I have used Windows products for the past 10 years of my life. I've been an avid supporter of MS products especially Windows. I was the biggest anti-Mac of them all. Until about 8 months ago. I had been using XP for about a year or so at that point and I was absolutely sick of the OS working, but not working right. When I first installed XP it was a blast. Everything was fast and amazing (the same with every other Win OS I installed, I'm sure you guys know of this phenomenon). But the more I installed and uninstalled and did with the OS, the more it slowed down and I began to live with the little errors that would stop my work, but wouldn't hurt the computer (that I knew of). Well, I got sick of it and now I'm typing this post on my new graduation present, a brand new 17" Powerbook (I too will be going to grad school but in digital arts mostly Maya, but I'm taking a year off). My poor PEECEE has been sitting in the corner of my desk ever since.

The friend of mine that got me into Macs has a 15" with an external 21" monitor and he loves it (though he secretly envies my 17" every once in a while). Its all about size and money. How much money do you have? You have enough, get the 17". If not get the 15" they will both blow you away I promise. And you'll never look back. I'm so happy I put my pride away long enough to make the switch!

Contact me if you want any help!
-blair
[ 15 inch Macbook Pro 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo ][ 20 inch Intel iMac 2 GB RAM / 256 MB ATI XT 1600 ][ iPhone OG (3GS on Reservation)][ White iPod 5th Gen. 60GB ]

Jim Paradise
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2003, 07:44 PM

Go with the 15 inch Powerbook. I just got mine this Tuesday and it's the finest computer I've ever used. The screen is surprisingly large. I haven't written a formal review or anything, but this is an amazing machine and I'd recommend it to anyone.

mgehman
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 20, 2003, 03:56 PM

I've gotten RAM from a lot of different places. I've only ever had one problem, and that was right out of the box from 18004memory and they replace without problem. The best place to check out prices is www.ramseeker.com they list the best prices on ram by model.
- Ernst Jan Plugge

cucswiz
Apr 23, 2003, 12:51 PM

Originally posted by k2director:
The Ti 15" is a great machine. I got my Ti 1Ghz/SD for $1999 at UCLA with 3 years of AppleCare thrown in. $2299 isn't as good a deal, but is still quite good.
Actually, this deal is probably just as good. Berkeley doesn't charge sales tax for the powerbook whereas UCLA adds 8.25% to your bill so the total is about 2170. Both are great deals though (I just ordered a Ti Gigabook from Berk).

Forum Links
Forum Rules